My Little Pony: Action figure (fully articulated) Princess Luna 3D printed

Thought I'd chime in and say how cool this is. Great work designing the articulation and capturing Luna's character. She's one of my daughter's favorites!

Thank you :)

I think it's a crying shame that just because it's a girls cartoon that the official toys are crap. Even now that it's gained a much older and different demographic they still don't care for screen accuracy. But Hasbro has a rather poor reputation when it comes to making screen accurate toys (i'm looking at their star wars line) but they have been changing that in the last couple of years. so who knows what will come of that.

For now I guess I'm stuck making my own toys :)

Yeah, the best looking toys we have are the Happy Meal ones from earlier this year. Unfortunately, we weren't able to get the full set.

As i have mentioned before aside from the default facial expression i wanted to make 2 additional heads one angry and one laughing. so with that here is Luna's angry face.

Th5EOZ2.jpg

I used this as reference (sorry i couldn't find a clean picture without the text)

BIOn1NQCAAAaPVz.jpg

It still need a bit more tweaking. the front view feels a little off to me at the moment.

The parts went missing again. I need to submit the parts seperately rather than enclosed. So another 2 weeks of waiting. :(

Even though i am still waiting for the rest of the pieces I finally got around to buying the materials to start preparing them. i did a quick dry fit of the head neck and chest. and i've already found a problem i will need to print a new part for.

in anycase even though the neck joint is not strong enoegh i think she turned out pretty great.

what do you think?

miPVMwD.png

miPVMwD.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to get a better idea of what it would look like assembled and give you guys a sense of the scale of this figure

so I put some of my other figures next to it to give you a better sense of just how big it is :) Also i don't have any official pony toys to compare it to. although i plan to get one to compare it to Luna once it's finished. The gundam on the left is a 1/100 scale master grade Aile strike gundam. on the right is a playarts Kat from halo Reach and next to the is a playarts Sarah Palmer from halo 4. and of course a Disney infinity mickey
This is as much as I can assemble right now without the missing pieces.

The coins in front of it are an old German mark and an American half dollar coin.

RjEEhWf.jpg

RjEEhWf.jpg

Great sculpting and engineering! Regarding the joints, did you consider replacing the molded in balljoints with a ball that has a acrew going through it into the body part instead of directly molding the ball joint?

Great sculpting and engineering! Regarding the joints, did you consider replacing the molded in balljoints with a ball that has a acrew going through it into the body part instead of directly molding the ball joint?

I didn't and now that i think about it that might not have been a bad idea. though that would make molding it much more difficult, loops are bad Mkay. The trouble is, this figure has 4 ball joints and they are all attached to the same 2 parts at different angles. so that would make molding it with the holes for the screws practically impossible.

Also After fitting the pieces I have so far together I've found that the joint at the bottom of the neck is too weak and loose. And in order to fix it, it looks like I'll have extend the pin further into the neck and thicken the socket that the pin attaches to. sadly this means that I'm going to have to remove the lateral movement of the neck. Cause right now it just wont keep the neck centered when the head is attached. and it has also compromised the stiffness of the neck's twisting motion.

This is what that joint looks like right now:

07Qsp8I.jpg

as you can see that tiny little peg is trying to hold up the rather heavy head.

So this is the solution i've come up with so far. I'd like to keep the lateral movement it but as it looks right now that going to be very difficult though i am open to suggestions.
obASj3y.jpg

Just got word that the additional parts I'm waiting for have been delayed... again. One of the drawbacks when using a service is this kind of stuff constantly gets messed up. but usually the parts do turn out nice.

I did go out and buy some sand able automotive primer today so at least I can start smoothing out the pieces that i already have. More pictures coming soon

The missing parts arrived today and i was finaly able to assemble the figure for the first time!

There are still some issue's, some joints are too loose, and others are too weak. so some modification is required. but i managed to get her to stand on her own :)

8JF8NmT.jpg

KCnbzXQ.jpg

KCnbzXQ.jpg

The next few days/weeks are going to be spent sanding and thickening the joints with putty.

I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I original modeled the figure (non pose able) nearly a year ago to the day. To see it finally completed and in my hands is so satisfying :)

i just ordered the angry head and the neck joint replacement. they should be ready sometime between Christmas and new years. meanwhile it's back to sanding... this may take a while :p

Wow this just keeps getting better and better. the replacement parts i ordered have been rejected due to a system error and now my store credit is gone and i have to go through customer service again to get it back... the more i deal with this company the more incompetent they seem to get. Until i get my store credit back I can't order the replacement pieces... if everything had gone according to plan i'd already be casting... *sigh*

Awesome :) my girlfriend would love this. Finally a thread on the rpf that she will enjoy looking at! Keep up the good work :)

Well shapeways managed to fix the issue and the parts have been re-ordered. and if their website is to be believed I'll have em on the day of new years eve. (not holding my breath)

In the meantime i'm sanding all the pieces and sealing them so the final figure will have no evidence that it was 3d printed :) i'll admit this part is a lot more work than i anticipated :p but it's very relaxing. just go on autopilot for a few hours :)

more production delays. I thought i could fix the feet joints by thickening them with a little putty. sadly it was not to be. so time for more re-prints :(

Oh well gives me an excuse to take a little break from the project and enjoy the holidays. and on that note.

Happy Holidays everyone!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back