Hi everyone, I thought I would share my build of the Polar Lights snap together TOS Enterprise. I have to say I was really impressed with this model considering it was a snap-tite. It's one beauty of a kit. I bought the kit to build as a gift for a friend who is an old school Trekker from way back and this has always been his favorite E. I decided to go with the regular series configuration, to me it just says classic Trek. Anyway, he was thrilled and that makes me happy.
This is a first for me in a couple of ways, it's my first time building a TOS Enterprise and it's the first model build I've posted here on the RPF.
I hope you enjoy.
First I started off by separating and washing the parts then pre-painting some as needed. I have a bad habit of getting wrapped up in my work and forgetting to take pics, these first two are a good example of that, I was well into painting the warp nacelles when I realized I hadn't taken any photos yet.
I then assembled the nacelles and masked them for the first round of paint. I used the primer as colour, in this case the darkest of the 3 greys I used on this kit. The Paints I used for this were Krylon Primer for the dark grey, Krylon Fusion River Rock for the main colour of the ship and Tamiya Surface Primer for the light grey accents. I used Krylon Outdoor Spaces Metallic Finish Copper for the Sensor dish. The silver I used is from Citadel paint.
After that was dry I re-masked the nacelles and hit them with round 2.
The end result turned out like this.
Now on to the Primary and Secondary hull. I wanted to get rid of as many of the seam lines as possible. I used black Milliput to fill the gaps where parts didn't fit well and Ambroid Pro Weld for the rest, but not on the clear parts, obviously.
After that it was a matter of applying the decals and giving her a clear coat to protect everything.
And that brings me to the base for this model. It's the only disappointment I have for this kit, everything else is perfect. But the base, well, it's just not stable.
My fears were realized when My friend came back a while later and said it had fallen and snapped a warp nacelle. Somehow I just knew it would happen, I never liked the stand. I got to work on repairing the ship and
decided to make a little addition for the existing stand to fit into, for stability. I took a 1/8" sheet of styrene for the base and layered a 1/16" sheet on top of that. I cut the shape of the original base out of the 1/16th sheet for the base to sit into. I then took strips of 1/16th by 1/16th styrene and outlined the original base with them. I beveled the edges and painted it with a base coat of Krylon primer, then Tamiya Flat Black and the Krylon Copper metallic finish. Topped it off with a shot of clear coat.
And here she is all finished.
Thank you for taking a look, hope it was entertaining.