I got side tracked from the Viper I started a few weeks ago by this project which has been on the back burner for a few years.
I bought both my 308 GTB and GTS when they were released years ago with the intention of making my ultimate 308, Magnum PI's. There were lots of different models of Ferrari's used on the production of the show (Ferrari 308 GTS (1979), 308 GTSi (1981), 308 GTS QV (1984)   so the ultimate magnum 308 is more more what I like about them all, rather than complete accuracy.
To me this means it must be a 308 QV, have the correct 308 tan interior, black hoods vents, and the correct rear deck lid. The things that I would really like to have, but I'm willing to concede on for now are a red painted windshield frame and just behind the targa top painted red, and also correct concave 16" wheels, but there is really no way to do this right now. I also like the euro spec front bumper, turn signal and side mirrors that Kyosho's model comes with better than what was on Magnum's 308, so that's a plus.
Starting off I'm using two Kyosho diecast models to take swap and modify parts to make my Ferrari. Kyosho diecast are known for very good accuracy, detail, and quality paint jobs so I only need to focus on the interior and not building or painting a kit. I know that's pretty lazy but I hate trying to do shiny paint jobs and love the scale of the 1:18 cars.
Note: Hot Wheels has recently released a red/tan Ferrari 308 but there are a few things that I just don't like about it and honestly the Kyosho details are just better and more realistic in my opinion.
Donor cars: 308 GTB QV
308 GTS QV
I started by taking apart the GTB to use as a test mule. Pulling apart the interior and trim pieces to see how hard it would be to convert and paint and taking the rear deck lid off to be sure I wouldn't ruin it swapping it over to the GTS. To me, other than the tan interior and black vents, the rear deck is one of the most important parts of the conversion since, in my opinion, it changes the look of the 308 completely.
The flocking(carpet) was removed with alcohol and the handle of a pair of tweezers and then I painted the interior floor with Testors model master Armor Sand. I mixed a tan flocking from brown and white Martha Stewart flocking found at Micheal's and applied it using the great tutorial found here. The rest of the interior was painted with Testors acryl British Gulf Armor Light Stone and then detailed with black paint and more flocking on the lower doors. It was all pretty straight forward except one doors on the GTS being especially stubborn to get off but patience and finesse paid off with no broken or damaged parts. It seems Kyosho barely glues some parts while others get quite a healthy coating. Reassembly was quite easy with just a few screws and a bit of adjustment to the deck lid to get it to sit flush on the GTS body.
I'm very pleased with the results. I admit that I am really curious what is under the flat black surrounding the windshield and how hard it might be to remove that and leave gloss red all around, but I definitely do not want to repaint the whole model just for that. Here are some pics, I hope you guys like it.