Model Stand

beachbum80

Hey guys, I've just about completed building my Halcyon Queen Chestburster and I've got a problem. I filled the body with plaster and filled the legs with packed newspaper. The weight of the body cannot support the legs, so how can I make a stand to support the body to keep the legs from touching the ground? I've read that you can drill a hole on the underside and insert a rod into a base and into the underside. Is that a descent option or should I just look for a stand that can support the body weight? I need it to be maybe 10 or so inches from the ground. Any advice would be great, thanks!!!!!!!

Can you post a pic of the model?

My concern with sticking a rod inside the model is that it needs something to stop against that can support the weight. Will the plaster be able to do that? How thick a rod you anticipating?

Hopefully these pics will post. I still have to apply the tail and do a little sanding on the putty. I just have no idea how to place it on a stand. I've done only a few vinyl models, but I've never had to have one on a stand or prop of any kind. 021.JPG020.JPG I included a pic of the underside, hoping that may help with any suggestions. Thanks a bunch!

I assume you are going to display it belly down.

Going that route I see two ways to do it.

First, you cut some clear acrylic with some curves to match the belly and the right height to get it positioned correctly. No need to put holes in the model for display.

Another way you could do it is to drill a small hole in the bottom and have it curve up through the body. Kind of like giving it an enema. :)

-Eric

Given the fact that my modeling skills are average, what do you think would be the best route? I don't want to do any drilling knowing that it could ruin it. Where would I get clear acrylic? Thanks again for your help!!!!

Given the fact that my modeling skills are average, what do you think would be the best route? I don't want to do any drilling knowing that it could ruin it. Where would I get clear acrylic? Thanks again for your help!!!!

Your welcome!

My modeling skills are less than average, but I have built a lot of stands. :)

Here are a couple dealers I have worked with.

estreetplatics.com

Www.regal-plastics.com

-Eric

Hey Eric, I checked out those sites you gave me. Bear in mind that I'm clueless when it comes to stuff like this. As far as the acrylics go, what do I need to get and what do I do with it when I get it? Sorry for my ignorance, I just really don't know to make the stand!!! Thanks again! Wes

Hey there Eric, have you possibly had any time to look through your older orders? Any other ideas from anyone? Any advice would be great!!! Thanks

No problem at all!! I looked at the acrylics, but what do I do with it? What would be used for the base of the stand? How do I cut it to size? Again, sorry for my ignorance, but thank you for your help!!!!

You could use a jig saw or a band saw (whatever you are comfortable with) to cut the material to the right size and then sand the edges smooth. Use 1/2" acrylic for the base? or anything really, just make it at least 1/2" thick.So, the uprights have something to hold on to.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back