Model Hogwarts

Thanks guys - the big tower and the "D" shaped one in the back are the only places where I used PVC; the rest of the cylinders and conical roofs are poplar dowells. Really though, this is on par with construction paper, Elmer's glue and paper doilies. Balsa and bass wood are very forgiving mediums. Its not like I'm machining blocks of resin like Scott; His work is truly awe-inspiring.

Last edited:
@epilepticsquirl, I agree! The only difference is that the model they build for filming is so big its taller than the people that work on it. (theres a pic in Film Wizardry!)

@cgraham that is so clever! I honestly wouldve never thought of using PVC. When I was originally thinking about it before coming here to talk to others about it, I kept seeing if there were any kind of hollow wooden cylinders. I tend do over think things and I don't ever thing about the simplest ways. Scott's work is amazing. I never knew they had stuff like those blocks that you basically carve. I love your method too! Something like that would be tons easier for me to do because I don't really have the tools or anything. I love the scale of yours too! Its big but not too big :)

As the Hogwarts lake runs to the edges of the Hogwarts modules, I need lake at each end of the pair of the Station modules. I applied and blended black, blue and a little green latex paint to each side the evening before last.
bg5rw7.jpg

2038nq.jpg

Last evening, I applied artists' gloss gel to the water surface dabbed with a natural sponge.
9k11lt.jpg

It goes on translucent white, but slowly dries to glassy clear. I used the same process on Hogwarts Lake, so I'm confident it will match and look good. I'll post more when dry. I still have to work on trees, foliage, fences and ballasting. The empty spot at the right end of the modules is a placeholder for "The Wand'r Inn." I think I'll also put in a small dock there for the boats

--------------------------------------
This morning: Ta-da

2wmexwy.jpg

2rh0gig.jpg

Some wave tips are still a little soft and milky, but they'll harden and take take on a more glassy appearance over the next few days.
Now on to ballasting; That's the part in which one applies simulated gravel to all the railway roadbeds (all the gray-painted cork.) I'm dreading it.

Last edited:
That looks absolutely amazing! It will look spectacular when you finish completely. Especially trees lining the path to the lake and a dock and everything :)

Update on the right side of the modules... here is "The Wand'r Inn" sitting cozy on the shore of Hogwarts' Lake next to Hogsmeade Station. Fancy a pint o' bitter? Now we know where Hagrid hangs out while waiting on the Hogwarts express to arrive.
"...better get to the station a bit early in case the Express is ahead of schedule - wouldn't want those first years milling about on the platform without anyone to walk them down to the boats now would we?"
2wfpb3t.jpg

Hey juno,

They actually know how to paint over seas. When you think about it, it is not that difficult. Basically they are copying that paint master. ( it gets shipped to them ) The approval process, over the internet, takes care of too much lack of observation. The internet is really a great thing, accept for when it takes YOUR job away.

I'm not even sure if Noble needed to see a paint master from over seas.

There were small variations, nothing to worry about.

Scott

Hmm ... I have yet to see a production model that looked half as good as the paint master. Even the simple paint job the Noble wands get are not consistent across the same product. But, I guess if the model is small it might not matter as much.

I'll see my friend's Noble Hogwarts in a month, and that will be what decides it for me, I'm worried that it won't be as pretty as the promotional photos.

This will be dynamite, and wonderful eye candy. To tell you the truth, this model is already dynamite and eye candy. Just get her done and get her done right.

Crew,
Here are a few shots of the Station showing latest progress. I can't wait to connect this up to my Hogwarts Castle modules for the first time in August at the show at the RR Museum of PA in Strasburg, PA and run the Hogwarts Express on huge circuit with the other club modules.

2w3oy6h.jpg

2sb2xki.jpg

209nf45.jpg

28jw2m8.jpg

Also, I have a couple of 00-scale etched brass kits for making british horse-drawn carriages; I would like to put them in the parking area between the Station and The Wand'r Inn. Trouble is I can't find any good images to reference how to paint them. I've seen the Lego model, but can't see using that as a reference - anyone have any images of the Thestral-drawn carriages from the films?
Cheers,
-Clay

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back