Model Hogwarts

Upload them! As far as i'm concerned this is what this forum is about...building a community that openly shares information, even if it seems like no one else has the same niche interest. I dont believe i will ever build a model of hogwarts, but the last thing i want is to have some photo on my harddrive that could mean everything to someone that does.

M

Upload them! As far as i'm concerned this is what this forum is about...building a community that openly shares information, even if it seems like no one else has the same niche interest. I dont believe i will ever build a model of hogwarts, but the last thing i want is to have some photo on my harddrive that could mean everything to someone that does.

M

Thanks and I totally agree. I was just worried that as a newbie that I might be violating the rules of the board and didn't want to do that coming in. And yep, this is a niche I'm sure but it's a valuable one nevertheless because not only is it worth it from learning to build detailed miniatures for film work but it's just plain fun. And since it is such a cool piece of architecture what the heck eh? And also I agree with posting the "reference" photos in case someone else was interested in building such a thing as this.

Thanks again - might take a while but I'll get on it and post them as mentioned - in the Half Blood Prince folder since that's what the architect's plan said it was built for - of course different later with all the changes since in the final films.

Appreciate the comments.

Okay I have uploaded 100 photos of the accurate model which is the UK version plus a couple other odds and ends of the Hogwarts Castle. I have loaded them into the HALF BLOOD PRINCE folder since this model that's on display in the UK is based upon that film and then modified for the films that followed slightly from what is shown.

These are some good reference shots - perhaps some redundancy but only because there were slightly different angles, perhaps some slight lighting changes and some may be smaller files than others which on the much larger photos means you can zoom in pretty close and see the detail in REAL up close shots. Check the photo size and realize that the much larger photos are those that you can zoom in on and see much better the detail that's there. It still never ceases to amaze me how detailed they were able to get this - though the size is certainly large enough to be able to do that easier than it's going to be on the size I will be doing mine.

Can you tell that I'm committed to doing this? These 100 photos are just the start - there are still close to 400 screen caps that show the architecture too plus a variety of other things showing the building that I'm using for reference. In addition I have that layout plan though will be redrawing it to fit my space.

So hopefully anyone else who plans to ever build this model in whatever format or size can use these photos to help in that regard. Keep an eye out if you're interested and you'll see mine as it develops over time both in preparation, planning and in actual execution whenever I get started on it. Going to take my time and do it right. NO sense in doing it half way or sloppy. Keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks

Re: Model Hogwarts Build Update

I UPLOADED the photos of these drawings and plans to the Hogwarts Movie (HALF BLOOD PRINCE) gallery folder and they are there in large format. I'll explain where I am at this point. I will upload the files to this thread. They're not as big so if you want to see them better go to the gallery for good large format up close shots. HOPE they don't mess up people's computers and you can see well enough on the screen.

Here is what I've been up to. Still collecting photos like crazy, still studying the photos of the original model, rewatching the films, looking at the screen caps that I grabbed to study the architecture of it all and it's layout. I have also been totally redrawing the plans of the building layouts in a scale that will likely be HALF scale of what I plan to build this in and in a size I can read clearly - and I can use the drawings I've done measuring as I go, doubling the sizes and building the buildings from that. There are THREE main drawings at this point and I have numerous others yet to do.

This first photo is of the Great Hall along with adjacent buildings and structures.

01_Great_Hall_Twr.jpg

This second photo is of the Admin building (labeled Durham with the bell towers, the greenhouses, the Astronomy Tower and adjacent structures there).

02_Durham_Astron_Grnhs.jpg

Next is a photo of the Main tower courtyard, the Clock Tower and it's courtyard along with the bridge and a few other minor things.

03_Twr_Ctyd_Clock_Twr.jpg

Those are the three main plans I've redrawn and still have quite a number of reference drawings I want to do - mainly side views and not just top down views. Need elevations as well as floor plan or whatever you want to call it to figure out the layout for space.

The next two drawings are what I did to figure the layout in HALF the scale I plan to build this in. The first is the scan of the layout I posted earlier that shows the plan from the book along with the rendering I did to figure out the layout of the space similar to how it is on the big model in the UK. It's ALL going to have some VARIATIONS and COMPROMISES as I have said from the beginning but HOPEFULLY I can get it close enough to be a fun build. The SECOND drawing is essentially how I was able to figure out the "footprint" that this model will take without the landscaping including all the rock work and the big lake layout. I know I'm going to have to compromise in a lot of cases building this because it's essentially going to be micro-mini version since I don't have 80' diameter of space to do this nor a 25' high room to accommodate. But this is just for fun to see if I can get the detail as such a small scale - or closer than anything I've seen since I first found photos of the original model.

So here is the layout as I scanned it and worked out the shape.

04_Orig_Lay.jpg

Here is a photo of the many scans I did and printed all at the same scale so I could tape them all together and have one layout for the footprint. And since I'm doubling it (and have to add in space for the Owlery still to add) it's going to take up a fair amount of space. But the space I have in the finished basement of my home should accommodate it both length and width. We'll see. ALL the drawings I did CAN be measured and DOUBLED for a decent size build OR with the right math - it can be 1.5 times the size. BUT I'm hoping for double the size of the drawings. Again time will tell. Soon I'll get all the drawings done and then start building buildings one at a time - a piece at a time, detailing it to the max as much as I can and then working out the landscape structures. It appears that the biggest structure - the Astronomy Tower COULD be as much as 30" or more tall which means I'll have to get everything else down from almost the floor up - although I DO have a 7.5' high ceiling in the basement. So perhaps I can get it all up on a structured base a foot or so off the floor. It's going to be built modularly so I can take it apart since I'll likely sell it off later on - after it's built and after I find out how much it's going to cost in supplies, time and so forth so I can recoup my $$.

Anyway here is the composited photo.

05_Composite_Lay.jpg

I also hope to add Fiber Optic lighting to whatever degree I can work it out for lighting effects and such. This is insane but I love the structure and the architecture for sure - which is why I have chosen to start building this huge model and detailing it to the absolute maximum I can for size.

So there it all is - comments, questions and so forth as you feel compelled. Thanks for looking.

--------------------
icanbuildthat

Last edited:
Hey MRaven

Well the plans come from two or three different sources - the first - the big one that's oddly shaped (well they both are) but the orangy colored one, is from the book HARRY POTTER FROM PAGE TO SCREEN. I bought that book some time ago after having seen it a couple places online. The other one - the GRAY version of the plans is THAT SAME PLAN only I reprinted it in half the scale I plan to build it, then printed off page after page to get it all pieced together for a sort of "footprint" of it's half-size so I would know of the shape overall - even though I'm using that and doubling it in size.

There are two GRAY plans from a book someone else posted someplace online. If you want any of these I have them in GRAPHIC FILES that I can send you if you'd like - to your E-Mail. Actually sometime soon I'm going to start a blog someplace that will detail this as I go. STILL working on some more drawings and plans to work out the details before I start building. So much to draw - lots of detail to work out first. Working on the GREAT HALL SIDE VIEW right now and that odd little out building at the end of the Greenhouses - trying to get the angles as close to right as possible since that's not in most of the drawings. The one I plan to build is going to almost be the same as the one that the big model at Leavesden has on display - have tons of photos of that model that I'm basing mine on - obviously in a much smaller scale.

Anyway if you want any of these plan graphics you're welcome to them.

Bill
icanbuildthat

Hi! I've been a huge fan of Harry Potter for years and I always wished to build a model of Hogwarts Castle. I wanted to make it huge and the most accurate I could but that was a lot of work and I was in the middle of my university studies so I hadn't so much time. When I saw the noble collection sculpture of Hogwarts I couldn't resist so I bought it but when I recieved it I was very dissappointed: terrible paintwork, twisted towers, glue drops... So I decided to modify it and make it as accurate I could. It's not finished yet! I have to finish the cliffs and the lake and some minor works but it's almost done! Hope you like it!
img1038rv.jpg

img1039xo.jpg

img1034gw.jpg
img1044kc.jpg

img1049q.jpg

Hi icanbt,

Good luck with your build, it is going to be very challenging. I posted earlier in the thread, and I am the artist that created the Noble HW. The most important element to the layout of the castle is the topography. When you develop you side elevations, your roof lines have to match the 'real' castle, that is where you can check your dimensions and locations. You may nail it the first time or you may have to go back and adjust, but the roof lines are key. It will be astounding if you light it. Good luck, I'll be watching with anticipation.

dr.kiki, I to was very disappointed with the production piece! I saw the paint masters and noticed some assembly flaws then, but when I saw the production pieces I had to cringe! One of the towers was put in backwards & crooked, buildings were crooked, etc! I was heart broken after the tremendous amount of work that went into it!!!

BTW, what is the white stuff on the model, did they add 'snow' to it?

Scott

Hi icanbt,

Good luck with your build, it is going to be very challenging. I posted earlier in the thread, and I am the artist that created the Noble HW. The most important element to the layout of the castle is the topography. When you develop you side elevations, your roof lines have to match the 'real' castle, that is where you can check your dimensions and locations. You may nail it the first time or you may have to go back and adjust, but the roof lines are key. It will be astounding if you light it. Good luck, I'll be watching with anticipation.

dr.kiki, I to was very disappointed with the production piece! I saw the paint masters and noticed some assembly flaws then, but when I saw the production pieces I had to cringe! One of the towers was put in backwards & crooked, buildings were crooked, etc! I was heart broken after the tremendous amount of work that went into it!!!

BTW, what is the white stuff on the model, did they add 'snow' to it?

Scott

Yikes! Scott, I visited your site and you have done some absolutely exemplary pieces! Wow, I can't imagine what work must go into building your creations. I would think the preliminary work would be the most time-consuming and intense part of it. How long does it take you to mock up a piece like Hogwarts?

I have the Noble Hogwarts also, and you can take some comfort in that I just love it, in spite of it not comparing to your original model and many of the wonderful others that I have seen a few people create. I am wondering though, which tower was put in backwards?

Anyway, thank you for sharing your knowledge and talents. Thank you also to drkiki for your wonderful Hogwarts model also. They're all BRILLIANT!

Hi srspicer! It's a great pleasure to talk to you! I've visited your site and I have to say that you are a great artist and you made an incredible work with Hogwarts! The prototipe you made is awesome! Nothing to do with the one I received! I would rather had paid more money if the castle I got had been like the one you made! It's a pitty the careless assembly work they made in the factory as you well said after the tremendous amount of work that went into it! The white stuff is an epoxy putty I've used to fix the cliffs between the two main buildings. I wanted to make the bridges and the viaduct like the ones in the movies so I had to cut away the cliff and that putty is what I've used to fill the gaps. It's one of the things I have to paint. I'll show you when I finish it!
And thank you Potion Mistress for your kind words!

Hey Scott - thanks for the thoughts and ideas. I agree that this is going to be one huge project but ya know, it's just the kind of thing I like to take the challange of. And I so want to add the MAXIMUM detail possible at the scale it will be. I am aware that there is no doubt I will have to make sacrifices. For instance in some of the architecture, specifically the bell towers in the Durham building - up near the top there are these pillars that in the original model at Leavesden in the UK - being the scale THAT thing is - are likely several inches long perhaps 5" -6" or so. And to get DETAIL done at that scale isn't all that difficult. Same with the pillars and spires on the sides of the main Great Hall - at the top there are small pillars as part of the architecture - again easy enough at the UK model scale. MINE are likely going to be about 1/16th of an inch diameter by about maybe 1/4" or longer tall pillars - WAY smaller and the capitols on those pillars is simply going to be a guess as to what they look like - much like a lot of the detail since of the several hundred photos I have of it - even the best, more high resolution photos I've found, can't tell precisely what they are or what they look like - so there ARE going to be compromises for sure.

I know what you mean about the topography and the roof lines in these things. Topography won't be that difficult - that is landscape - though the top-down topographic views of the buildings are certainly missing a lot of details in how tall the roof lines are and so forth. However that's why I have about 328 photos of the model, about 400 screen caps of the architecture to go by....and a fair amount of other reference material I've been able to gather. MEASURING those however is a trick and placing things - like all the dormers on the Great Hall even - just guessing the size and placement based on the photos.....actually measuring on the computer screen and trying to "relate" sizes I know with sizes I don't have references to. So it's a trick to be sure. I still have a few more drawings to make before I get started but there are some elements I could deal with now. Even the bell towers on the Durham Building - I can sculpt ONE side with all the detail then cast a silicone mold and run the 8 sides I need in resin - easy enough to only have to do ONE since they're all the same. There are a lot of other elements like that as well that will save time and repetition.

At any rate - it's going to be a fun project. Can't wait to get into it. And lighting it will be interesting too. Found a great relatively inexpensive source for fiber optic lighting - though still going to be a bit of an investment $$-wise. But that's ok - something over time I can easily deal with. But thanks for the ideas most certainly. What I'd give for their detailed plans and I do have those items I've found here and there which help. The rest is going to be creative license. BTW I love the model you did for Noble - your prototype is based on an earlier version than what I want to do - mainly I'm going to try to dupe the UK version that's on display which elminated that one big building at the back, added a few things here and there, changed some locations and layout. Like that one the best. And it's one that most people will see and remember unless they study the films. So we'll see what happens. I'll keep posting as I go here but need to start a blog somewhere to keep a running record. Too bad that they screwed up your work with poor finish work and such. Not right - but as the artist it kind of puts you at a loss when you work doing it for them and they call the shots. The model industry in general I guess. Sad.

DRKIKI - I DO like your motivation to take the one you got and rework it to make it more accurate and better for yourself. I'm building this because I LOVE the architecture and just the challenge of building a model this large for the fun of it with as much detail as possible...including the bridge at the back and everything that is highly detailed in the bigger model. And MY bridge will have sections that are only about 1 1/2" wide and to get all that detail in the carved stuff on the bridge - well going to try to get close but gonna be tough. Also want to build the area out behind the Durham building with the big yard and the walls that encircle the space - if I have room for it in my area that this will reside. PLUS when I build it and if it turns out - I'm just going to photograph the heck out of it and then eventually sell it off anyway. Will have been for fun - not for profit certainly...just whatever I'll have in it. We'll see.

Thanks for your remarks everyone. Looking forward to building this thing sometime soon. Must do it sensibly though with the drawings first to give me the proper plans to work from. It's an amazing piece so hopefully it will work. We'll find out.

Thanks.

icanbuildthat

Last edited:
I do wish there were a kit of this castle in any scale!!!! :)

Yeah I know - I've thought the same thing many times. THERE IS A PAPER model version of it - not that great, not that detailed but it's something at least. The NOBLE is the closest thing I've seen next to LEGOs - but I'd have none of LEGOS for sure. And there may have been others at the time this was out and making the rounds - don't know. There was some heavy cardstock paper model of it. But there is nothing now that anyone could do that would be lucrative, licensable (and I don't blame JR for that at all) but there just isn't that I'm aware of. It would have given me some more references to build the big one I'm about to do - space will take up about 5' X 7'-8' Can't wait to get started but it's gonna take quite a bit of time. Maybe when I retire. :wacko

icanbuildthat

ican,
As a reference, my castle/mountain model is 52" wide and 36" deep. The mountain and castle sit on a pair of modules that together provide a lake base that measures 8' wide and 5' deep. Note there's no Aviary, Clocktower, ruined courtyard or wooden trestle footbridge. As a portable modular railroad display, I had to accept some limitations. If I ever adapt this to a perm layout, I expect I will include the missing elements.

973_091451_210000000.jpg

-cgraham

ican,
As a reference, my castle/mountain model is 52" wide and 36" deep. The mountain and castle sit on a pair of modules that together provide a lake base that measures 8' wide and 5' deep. Note there's no Aviary, Clocktower, ruined courtyard or wooden trestle footbridge. As a portable modular railroad display, I had to accept some limitations. If I ever adapt this to a perm layout, I expect I will include the missing elements.

973_091451_210000000.jpg

-cgraham

Hey Cgraham - I've seen your model for some time now. Love the piece. I cannot imagine what's going to happen in my space if I build mine and there really isn't room to do it. :lol I DO plan on making it modular to some degree (I mean I'd have to get it out of the basement where it will live somehow). And I DO want to add the wooden bridge, the owlery, the ruined courtyard - well essentially just like the one in the UK on display. THAT is about 50' X 50' so scaling that down means about 1/8th to 1/10th the size to be 5' X 5' - or maybe slightly larger (6' X 7' even) so it's going to be a tough one and I know I'm going to have to fudge a little and compromise a lot. But still want it as large as possible. I DO like yours - which I guess is based upon an earlier verison too before the HALF BLOOD PRINCE when it took on the form it is now with the one on display in the UK. I think I'll be able to reduce the lake area some in favor of more land mass and the added elements I would love to put in there, etc. But we'll see. Just going to try to do this right and get it like I want it without too many compromises if I can help it. Might just have to add a room on to the house!! NOT!! Like I don't have that kind of income - wish I did - I would.

Anyway thanks for the ideas and comments. And h3pilot - ME TOO!! I just wanna live there - that's all. I wish. :unsure

Last edited:
Here's some OO-scale eye candy of Hogsmeade Station from the last model train show.

1rosxh.jpg

I have my Hogwarts Express out now being fitted with Digital Command Control sound. Chugs, whistles (British, of course), bells - its gonna be great to hear as it makes its way past Hogwarts and pulls into the station. There's a show in October - I'll be sure to post some video and link it here.

-Cgraham

Thanks for all of the compliments everyone!

drkiki, The tower was the large tower up front, I don't recall the name. The sample I saw was rotated 90* off enter. Your's looks to be OK. I don't know how they did that, I keyed it so it ould only fit one way!

icbt, I would consider making an arylic sub-structure that would facilitate lighting. That way you could cut down on lighting costs by a single, brighter bulb and 'open' the windows you want lighted. You could attach you finished walls to the clear walls.

Just my 2 cents.

I'll be watching for sure!

Regards,

Scott

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back