Model Hogwarts

Gryffindor1991

Has anyone every built or wanted to build a model of Hogwarts from Harry Potter? I've had this idea for a year or so now. I'm not talking about the small model you can buy from Noble Collection but a larger scale model a few feet tall or so. I plan on starting this project after Deathly Hallows Part 2 is out because I would like my model to be of the latest version of Hogwarts. If anyone has any tips on how to begin this, or if you have any pictures of the castle from different angles please post them. thank you :)
I'm not really sure if this is posted in the right place though, let me know if it is'nt, this is the first thread I've started.

Last edited:
I did a quick google search for doll house kits & castle model kits - there's lots of stuff out there that should give you some ideas. The doll house kits should give you a good idea of the structural design, and this site:
Results for COMPLETE KITS
the 3rd image down had lots of Castle-looking, stone-work parts that one could mold to make multiple, lighter castings to start detailing the outer structure of Hogwarts.

Good Luck!

This guy did it in match sticks
HogwartsSchoolofWitchcraftandWizardry.jpg

You should have lots of fun doing it. I found that photo a while ago. I to was thinking of making one just cause I like architecture. It is a complex model but would be very rewarding when finished.
Just make sure you make all the moving stair cases. lol

You should have lots of fun doing it. I found that photo a while ago. I to was thinking of making one just cause I like architecture. It is a complex model but would be very rewarding when finished.
Just make sure you make all the moving stair cases. lol

I like architecture too. I'm actually going to major in it when I start college. I graduated high school last year and I'm taking time off before I start. I think Hogwarts is a great piece of architecture.

Last edited:
During the production of the first film I was lucky enough to get into the studio and saw the model up close. An amazing but phenomenally huge piece! perhaps 8 to 10 feet high at a guess?

Love to see it again :thumbsup

There's a dire shortage of good reference for that model, other than the movies themselves. I've been collecting pics for years now and 99% of what I have is screencaps.

REALLY hoping that they'll relent at some point and release a proper art book, or several, with good pics of the model. I have a horrible feeling it must be one of those Rowling-ordained thou-shalt-nots, though.

What I want to do is a card model, two or three feet across. Have designed a couple of architectural cardmodels but this would be a huge leap in complexity. I'm not up for umpteen re-dos, though; I want good reference or I'm just not going to tackle it (stamps foot, pouts).

Anyway, good luck with the project.

@KyozoKicks, there is a picture of it in the Film Wizardry book. Just from see that picture I can tell its amazing, I can't imagine how awesome it is in person. Hopefully when they finish the Harry Potter museum at the studio they will keep that so you can see it again. I'm definitely going so I hope to see it myself.

@Nwerke, I agree with you, the films are a great source, but they only show the castle from a few angles, there are some places that they just don't show well enough. I actually use the video games. Order of the Phoenix and Half Blood Prince are the most accurate. I hope they do a book like that too, it would really be great. A card model sounds really cool.

For the model I want to build, I'd love to make it out of wood or some sort of material that will definitely last. I want to put lights in it so it lights up and everything then have the grounds around the castle and have the Quidditch Pitch, main gates, and Hagrid's hut. Then have like a little fish pond type thing as the lake.

Has anyone every built or wanted to build a model of Hogwarts from Harry Potter? I've had this idea for a year or so now. I'm not talking about the small model you can buy from Noble Collection but a larger scale model a few feet tall or so. I plan on starting this project after Deathly Hallows Part 2 is out because I would like my model to be of the latest version of Hogwarts. If anyone has any tips on how to begin this, or if you have any pictures of the castle from different angles please post them. thank you :)
I'm not really sure if this is posted in the right place though, let me know if it is'nt, this is the first thread I've started.

I have done this as a pair of mated corner modules in HO scale. I'm in the D.C. area and you can come see it at a show in February 2011 at the MD State Fairgrounds if you like. If you want to collaborate, I may be contacted through the modular railroad club, www.marrsweb.org.
ifwvuq.jpg

2mwh6o2.jpg

24w6i5e.jpg

Cheers,
-Clay

I have done this as a pair of mated corner modules in HO scale. I'm in the D.C. area and you can come see it at a show in February 2011 at the MD State Fairgrounds if you like. If you want to collaborate, I may be contacted through the modular railroad club, www.marrsweb.org.
ifwvuq.jpg

2mwh6o2.jpg

24w6i5e.jpg

Cheers,
-Clay

That is really impressive. I live in Virginia so it wouldn't be too hard to get to D.C. It would be really cool to see that in person.

Hey, I know you're looking to do the latest model of Hogwarts from the last movie, but from what I can tell thus far (from the trailers, etc) you can really start most of your work based on what was seen in Half Blood Prince. And even most of that has stayed pretty consistent since Sorcerer's Stone. Biggest different thus far for the Last iteration of Hogwarts is that they've shifted the aquaduct to point straight at land, so that Voldemort can march across it. Also looks like they've greatly enlarged the courtyard in front of the Great Hall.

Those are the two biggest differences I've seen (so far) but I'm sure they'll add more. As another suggestion though, I'd highly recommend spending some time looking at pictures of the model of Hogwarts they built for the Wizarding World down in Orlando. With a few minor changes, that model is insanely accurate for getting some of your closer details (such as finials on the buttresses on the Great Hall, and window frames on the towers).

And finally, before I overstay my welcome in this post, I actually have a copy of the General Layout of Hogwarts from the first movie. A great benefit of it is that it actually includes some of the location names, such as where they incorporated Durham Cathedral and Alnwick Castle. Since those locations were actually used in filming, I think they'd be great for references.

Anywho, I've also been doodling blueprints for this castle as a side hobby project. It's an amazing building and quite the exercise in modeling off of references. Good luck with it!

i

no your not, read the rules
I did, and I did a search for "auctions" before posting to check but nothing came up, hence the request for the Mods to mod if necessary (which it looks like they kindly have done so thanks to whoever did). However, I've just rechecked and stuff did come up so maybe I hit a typo last time.

Thanks for the confirmation though. I'll know for future.

Last edited:
@kessa, that is amazing, thanks for sharing what you found :)

@EZBSVS, yeah, I noticed some of it in the trailer but its so hard to see because of the orange stuff thats supposed to be an enchantment deteriorating around the castle. Your right though, the courtyard is bigger where Harry and Voldemort duel. I noticed the viaduct bridge added to connect to the grounds, but I'm wondering if the other one will still be there but shortened leading to that other part of the castle.

Hogwarts is really magnificent, I also draw pictures of it and maps and everything. I want to be an architect so this would be a great project to combine that with my obsession with Harry Potter. I've actually attempted to go through the books and make note of areas of the castle in relation to others and then tried to draw a blueprint of the book version of the castle.

Nicely done Clay! (y)cool:thumbsup I have just recently been getting into these fantastically large model castles and architectural scaled structures. I was just speaking with Richard Long and Matt Meyer today about the Beauty and the Beast Castle. Indeed.. I very much like what you have done.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back