Hasbro Tie Bomber rework

TCSloan

WARNING to collectors! One Hasbro Toy was completely destroyed in the making of this thread.

Im going to rework the Hasbro Tie Bomber toy to be a bit more accurate. In fact, Im building the wings completely from scratch, or one of them, I'll make a mold and cast a copy for the other side. Heres what I have so far, if you can spot it amongst the disaster zone on my desk.

"Disassemble!"
001.jpg

The basic panels and mounting point.
0012.jpg

Some plumbing parts reworked to size. These will fit snug onto the toy.
0022.jpg

Heres a heavy Hasbro bomber rework by Matt Meyer. Pic from MMM site.

2010-01-28_KG_MTM_TIE_BOMBER-009C.jpg

TCSloan, how do you plan to do the solar panels?

Thanks guys. If I recall in reading about Matts TB, he did start to rework the toy, but instead just scratch built the whole thing.

The size difference is only the extended panels around the perimeter, basically its Vaders Tie wings with extensions.

The panels..at first, I really wasnt sure how to tackle those. I found some window screen thats about the right size, but it still wouldnt be exactly right. I'll be checking out some fluorescent light covers this weekend to see if any will be a good size for this one. Then I'll need to either source it out to vacuum form some styrene over it, or make a vacuum former myself.. anyone here do vacuum forming?

Castings..well, Im not yet a 'FULL" member to be able to sell, so for now, I'll have to keep the wings and other parts I'll be casting on the down low..dig :love

well, I was able to stop by the hardware stores today , and the available light covers have different patterns than they used to, so I didnt find anything useful. Not sure how I'll be able to duplicate the pyramid dimples.

well, I was able to stop by the hardware stores today , and the available light covers have different patterns than they used to, so I didnt find anything useful. Not sure how I'll be able to duplicate the pyramid dimples.

I may be way off here, but doesnt evergreen make styrene sheets in that pattern?

Yeah, Nazgul, I even saw a thread on here that I couldn't locate now. But it mentioned Plastruct or Evergreen had a sheet with just that pattern.

yeah, I had started that thread asking about it, but I thought it didnt have the pyramid shaped indentions? I'll check it out further to make sure.

Heres some more progress. so far I have one wing section framed out,inside and out. I still have one layer of additional armor to add around the perimeter. Its a thin layer, which Im out of so off to the hobby shop I go!
003.jpg

004.jpg

well, Ive tried and failed. I just cannot seem to replicate that pattern. I tried making a stamp and using Aves to sculpt it on..while it does work, I cant be precise enough with each impression and it ends up looking sloppy after a while.
The only alternative I can come up with is the screen mesh. would you sacrifice accuracy for a precise neat and close to scale pattern? just without the pyramid impressions? seems thats what the other modelers are doing as well after looking at those large scale Tie Bombers.
005.jpg

006.jpg

Looks like the solarpanels on the pics I posted above are done the same way, only with the mesh diagonally.

Edit: Looking closer at the wings used on the studio model, they look like yours! no obvious pyramid, but mesh. And not diagonally.

The studio model (modelermagic.com):
kg_tie-bomber-009.jpg

Last edited:
thats one of the ones I was referring to. looks like they couldnt figure it out either. Though the pattern they have is still incorrect. Its suppose to be squares rather than diamonds.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back