Hasbro ROTJ AT-ST (IMPROVED)

Keith

Sr Member
I bought this Hasbro AT-ST toy with the plan to just give it a nice paint job, but i ended up doing a lot more to it.

Here is a link to photos of the standard toy: http://www.rebelscum.com/TLCvehATST.asp

First job was to choose a pose for it. The legs on the toy move using hexagon shaped pegs in hexagon shaped holes. I found the range of movement was too long between stages, so it would go from a position i didn't want, to another position i didn't want. So using a file, i made the hexagon shaped pegs in octagon shaped pegs. I then used ca glue and arladite apoxe glue to hold the legs nice and strong in the position i wanted the model to stand in.
The legs can still move outwards, but there is no up and down movement.

I then scratch built a new main gun, but one mod ended up leading to another and what was intended to be a very short break from my ED-209 model turned into a long one.

Here are some photos of it almost ready for the tamiya fine surface primer:

at-st004.jpg

at-st002.jpg

at-st008.jpg

at-st005.jpg

at-st006.jpg

at-st012.jpg

at-st015.jpg

at-st019.jpg

at-st025.jpg

at-st027.jpg

at-st036.jpg

at-st021.jpg

at-st022.jpg

at-st030.jpg

at-st039.jpg

at-st032.jpg

at-st044.jpg

at-st043.jpg

at-st033.jpg

Keith.

Last edited:
Very nice! Love the mods that you did. Would it be possible to have a laundry list of parts that you used for this project? I would like to give this a try one day.

Thanks.

All the parts are made up from styrene sheet, various sizes of aluminuim and steel rods, guitar wire, plastic tube and a few sections of pen bodies.

Keith.

Holy crap that's aweseome! I've always wanted the Hasbro AT-ST, and this is the first I've seen the new one! I need to get it!

Me too , didn't even know these were out there. If anyone finds a store selling please share. I see a ToysRus trip coming up.

Great job Keith!!!:thumbsup

It said at Rebelscum they are a Wal Mart exclusive..but I know my Wal Mart hasn't had any.

Are they just out? Does anyone know if they sold in Canada?

Gotta say after seeing the original version of this thing, you truely did a fantastic job with it. Honestly, the original looks like a piece of garbage and worse than the original release back in 1981. Kudos to you!

Wow - that is really awesome!

I can't wait to see it painted.

How did you do the great curves to the armor on the legs?

Thanks everyone.

Stormy320, i used a hair dryer to het the plastic a bit to make the ben, but just gluing it to the alrady curved mount would have done the job.
The head armour had to be heated to make it curve over the top of the head. This bend was done before i cut the shape of the armour out of the styrene sheet.

I've painted most of the parts in the base colour now, just one leg and one foot to do. I'm not sure if its a little to dark though. I used Tamiya AS-2 light grey IJN. I could just be so used to seeing it in very light grey plastic with lots of white bits all over it, that it looks dark to me now. I'll have to get some more photos so you can all give me your opinion.

Does anyone know of an existing shade of grey thats very close to the original models?

Keith.

Nice job!!!

I also can't help but notice that it appears Hasbro used the Code 3 AT-ST as their reference point. For the price, I'd take the Hasbro. :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back