Has anyone done a HL-10 Lifting body?

Here are a few of the X-24. The top two photos are from the X-24A the bottom is from the X-24B.
E-19626.jpg

E-19629.jpg

ECN-3659.jpg

I've always wanted a car with an interior like this....or at least the dash. . . look at all of those switches and toggles...:D

Lifting Body Picture of the Day

ME TOO!!! :)

The lifting body picture today is of the M2-F3 where it is displayed at the NASM:

A19751576000CP07.jpg

Notice the pipes coming up the two stabalizers on the rear. These are the fuel jettison pipes which were modified from there original position on the back of the vehicle. This was done because of the fuel catching fire from the rocket exhaust.

Last edited:
Re: Lifting Body Picture of the Day

ME TOO!!! :)

The lifting body picture today is of the M2-F3 where it is displayed at the NASM:

<Snip photo>

Notice the pipes coming up the two stabalizers on the rear. These are the fuel jet pipes which were modified from there original position on the back of the vehicle. This was done because of the fuel catching fire from the rocket exhaust.

Clever! You know, i've always loved these lifting bodies... they LOOK like they would be about as aerodynamic as a brick, but they actually fly! (and sometimes, they don't... )

Sometimes they don't:
E-16731.jpg

Bruce Peterson who was the pilot during the infamous crash of the M2-F2 survived but ended-up losing an eye. He did continue to pilot aircraft after his recovery. Bruce Peterson died back in 2006.

Last edited:
Yeah, but some people don't have that kind of display space.

Could you imagine sticking your Steve Austin action figure in one?

Even though it was pretty unstable in roll I always have preferred the M2-F2 configuration over the modified M2-F3 configuration. Just something cool looking about the simple elegance of the M2-F2. I really hope that madrobot (or anyone, lol) ends up doing all of the lifting bodies (hint, hint).
1966_m2-f2.jpg

Last edited:
What's your problem?

I wasn't put off at all. Where you got that idea I have no clues.

If someone is getting paid to produce something, then it saves me from having to do it for free, and chances are you'll probably do a better job than I will.

I might make one some other time. If you're producing a product, then by all means man, make it happen. Especially if you're getting paid to do it.

Lifting Body Picture of the Day

Wow, what IS going on? Anyway I hope it works out. Here is the pix of the day. The M2-F2 under the wing of the B-52 carrier aircraft:
ECN-1436.jpg

The pylon that was used was the same one that was used for the X-15. Here is a good view of the original X-15 pylon along with the modification done to accomodate the lifting bodies.

Last edited:
Sometimes they don't:
E-16731.jpg

Bruce Peterson who was the pilot during the infamous crash of the M2-F2 survived but ended-up losing an eye. He did continue to pilot aircraft after his recovery. Bruce Peterson died back in 2006.

Don't get me wrong, but I love this photo! I don't mean because the pilot was injured or anything like that, it's just that it looks SO 1950's-1960's... Here is a crashed prototype, and there in the background, is an "official" station wagon! Now days it would be surrounded by tech vehicles, fire trucks (which it may well have been earlier) and the such. But this photo looks like something out of a 1950's science fiction movie; the kind where the 'space program' is being run very secretly, and when the ship returns, everyone piles into ONE jeep and heads out to the recovery area!

I agree with you; I love that photo as well for the same reasons. The fact is that the lifting body program was done very secretly and not many people knew about it at first . . . in fact NASA HQ didn't know about it for a long time. The Flight Research Center hired a local builder to construct the first lifting body (the plywood M2-F1) for about 20 grand and tested it by pulling it behind a souped-up Pontiac (which HQ didn't know the center had purchased either) which could go well over 100 mph. I certainly hope that someone does indeed do one or all of these things.

Here is the M2-F1 with its "carrier vehicle" the infamous Pontiac (without the tow cable, lol):
ED96-43663-1.jpg

Here is the plywood M2-F1 along side of the M2-F2. These two planes were the same size but the cockpit was moved forward on the M2-F2 to compensate for the center of gravity.
ECN-1107.jpg

Last edited:
Friday Night Special :) Several designs based on lifting body research have been developed.

Here is the X-33 which was suppose to replace the shuttle (before it got canceled) This was unvaled by vice president Al Gore back during the Clinton admin. Sadly they gave-up on the design due to problems with the revolutionary engine. This was under develpment by the Lockheed Martin Skunk Works. A very cool design from data derived from the lifting body program:
EC96-43631-7.jpg

Here is the X-38 which was going to be a emergency escape vehcile for the international space station (think escape pod). It too got cancelled. Here is a GREAT photo of the X-38 attached to the wing of the same B-52 that launched the original lifting bodies . . . I love this photo:
GPN-2000-000180.jpg

Here is the X-38 being dropped. It's of interest to note that the concept of this was that it would be pilotless and automatically return astronauts from the ISS. Another great picture of the X-38 whos design was almost identical to the X-24 except this would actually land via a parachute:
GPN-2000-000196.jpg

This photo resembles a photo from the late 1960s.

Here the X-24A:
B-52andX-24ALaunch.jpg

BTW, I'm not trying to hi-jack your thread DH, lol, just trying to keep it alive. Great topic!

Last edited:
No way it's a hijack, it's an enhancement!

Keep em coming :D

So, does your HL-10 fit in the garage or do you rent space for it?

Lifting body picture of the day

Well, it was in the garage before I got married but now . . . .

HL-10 at the roll-out (note that the wings have not yet been modified with the fiberglass glove):

1966_hl-10.jpg

P.S. I will continue to "enhance" the thread, lol

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back