Definitive ANH Falcon Interior

It's going to be SO difficult to actually sit back, watch and enjoy the movie and NOT look around at the all the props and subtle changes made to the MF...

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if the Yavin Junk piece uses the same base and arms as the moisture vap's on Tatooine?

piece of junk we see in Yavin Base.
does this bit of junk look familiar to anyone?

I wonder if the Yavin Junk piece uses the same base and arms as the moisture vap's on Tatooine?

Hey Stinson,

Wow, I am hooked. Your dedication and work is simply amazing!

To the Yavin prop: The base is definitely the bottom of a vaporator, and the top part in the center is a plastic umbrella stand (same as the stuff Han is loading onto the cart as reward for the Princess'es rescue).

The four arms look like heater blower assemblies / some kind of ventilation flap housings from a vehicle (A/C maybe? Or truck? Must be a lot larger than a passenger car )

facing a conundrum vis-à-vis UV Mapping. Need your ear if you have expertise in this area.

I decided at the beginning to hold off texturing until after the model was complete. True to style, I got impatient and thought "oh maybe mapping a few things wouldn't be so bad". Now I'm realizing I may have painted myself into a corner. ...or built myself into a corner without paint... or something. Anyway. The model, it turns out, is too complex, has too many nested components, to many tiny parts, to try to unwrap in any reasonable way. How does one approach mapping something this complex? Is there some proceedure that can streamline the process, some way to approach it that will reduce the chaos and tedium? Thanks in advance...

just built the smuggling holds yesterday, and I'll post some renders soon.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• smuggling 1.jpg
    smuggling 1.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 2,491
  • smuggling 2.jpg
    smuggling 2.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 2,273
Looking better and better and better...:)

Did you have a chance to check me eMail?
Waiting for your feedback on how to simplify do sketchup/ ref. picture comparsions...

thx, Markus

I only have a little experience UV mapping, so I don't know a shortcut to the sheer amount of work you'd need to do. However, have you considered asking for volunteers to help you? Distributing the work would make it a bit easier, but you also might want this to be your project, which is totally understandable as well.

EDIT: I'm also wondering what sort of photogrammetry method/program you're using. The photogrammetry software I know of requires many clear, well-lit photos of the same object with different angles. I can't imagine any of the standard programs could produce good results based on screen captures from ANH. Are you doing some kind of manual photogrammetry method?

I'm using perspective matching. So I still have to build the geometry myself, but it gets the job done. The main thing is getting geometry to agree from one photomatch to the other. Really gratifying when things start to line up, and I know I'm building something pretty accurate.

It's a tempting idea... I definitely have a bit of a complex about the model, gotta do it all myself.. but I'm getting nowhere fast with the texturing. Might have to think about it.

Incredible, and in no way intentionally diverting the topic but your signature has me laughing more than the awesome renderings.

"...it's amazing you even have a girlfriend" --my girlfriend

My wife and many of my female friends have said this many a time!

I'm using perspective matching. So I still have to build the geometry myself, but it gets the job done. The main thing is getting geometry to agree from one photomatch to the other. Really gratifying when things start to line up, and I know I'm building something pretty accurate.
Is there a program you'd recommend for that? Or are you doing it by hand somehow?

just using good old sketchup. I wouldn't exactly recommend it, there must be better methods, but it gets the job done for me.

Jaitea, love that one.

Judging by these images, it's doing a sure lot better than simply "getting the job done"! Probably the best work I've seen done with Sketchup by far. I know the painful decision of restarting such a big project myself, but the results of the new model speak for themselves. You've come a long way.

Steve - amazing, sublime work!

With respect to UV or not to UV, I'd suggest looking into MARI workflows.

PM me for details...

Apb

AWESOME! Now the question is... what the heck are they? :)
Well I can't tell you exactly what they are but I have an idea. From the ANH set photo these look to me like part of a hellicopter rotor assembly. The very top where the blades are. It would be a four rotor model, probably British. A point to start looking would be four bladed choppers from around that era of the seventies.

I just started re-looking at these original life-size prop guns to see if I can figure out more details and found this thread. Thanks for your great work SteveStarkiller! Your images have given me an insight into a couple of detals missed.
I was going to say, back to my Falcon plan, but it now looks like I have to stop and go and make my dinner instead.

After posting. I doubt the helicopter theory is correct. However they do look like jet engine parts to me, to stick with the aero theme. Which part to which engine I have'nt found yet.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back