I hear ya.
I hear ya.
Man.... This is gonna be sweet !!! a show STOPPER !
Take your time.... it sure will pay off in the END !!!
This is going to be so cool when done. I love watching your builds...it's what keeps this place interesting to me! Thanks!
I love where your going with this Kevin, its just out there, very much looking forward to the progress!
That rack is great. I am very excited to follow your progress.
Thanks everyone. I'm a slow builder with my schedule... but always gives me something to super-detail on any given day, once I get the basic structure done.
I started building the self-contained cabinet this evening. I got the bottom leveled out with the grinder, and the two nice wood boxes built on each end to hide all the wires and power. The back will be closed, too, and have some nice casters on the bottom. The front will have bronze tinted acrylic so you can partially see in directly from the front and all the lighting (and give me access). Still have to make a nice skirting around the top, yet. It is not put together, yet, just positioned to see how it will look. Considering it was around zero degrees out in the garage today... a satisfying evening of work.
Check out the last picture... it was my original design for the "emperor's throne"... if the empire just hadn't left the seat up... who knows?
Last edited by OTnROTSfan; Jan 25, 2009 at 11:40 PM.
After over a month, I finally got some more time to make some progress... have been lurking around, though.
I got the back and detail piping "depth" worked out. Since my DS2 port dio will be a cutaway view in the front, I extended about a foot into each side and in the back for additional detail to give it depth with some backlighting. The top will be two pieces of MDF, one with access ports and which will hold the top frame together, and one top piece (so the top/DS2 surface will be removable). Got to be able to change those bulbs.
Lots of mocking up the internals still in progress (see the thumbs), but the fun part will be pulling all the mocked up back piping back out so all the labels can come off and all be painted up, then put all back together like a jigsaw puzzle. I don't think the plumbing is "up to code"...
Just taped into place, but simple lighting tests... I am experimenting with the light "window" covering tubes this weekend. This one's gonna take a while... but it is pretty cool to work on something this large... it is about the size of a small desk.
This is pure INSANITY!!!!!
I LOVE IT!!!
This is a really great project.
This is a real unique project!
I'm lovin' it!
one word AWESOME
I'LL BE WATCHING THIS ONE ALL THE WAY
Will be trying to post at least every two weeks or so to keep progress going (I hope)... instead of my just normal lurking...
Biggest dio I ever attempted, so off we go...
This is no DIO, its a set. your mental, & i like it. Can you imagine this mounted into a wall, wow!
This is an awesome project. There's nothing I like better than a nice big rack being put to good use.
Wha - two weeks already? Threw the back out, crawled to the hospital, and spent a week laying flat on happy drugs ... but was feeling pretty good the last couple of days, so I got the next round of tests done today.
Was storming and really damp all day, so couldn't do any painting on the back pipe "depth" and the local HW store was out of MDF, so I worked on the inner top mounts, some left pipe "depth" detail, and the first tube lighting test. Need to cut some access holes in the left and right inner top board, yet.
I couldn't find my pipe-drilling v-jig I made when I drilled out my SS TIE Bomber, but I did have some leftover tubes/ends, so I just freehanded a test light tube on the drill press (good enough for a test). I was originally going to try using clear acrylic or PVC tube and just paint around leaving the windows, but this way allows for any heat dissapation and also won't get scratched up and muck up the solid parts around the openings (if it was just painted around).
Again, just freehanded until I find my jig, but I'm likin' it.
Last edited by OTnROTSfan; Apr 25, 2009 at 10:20 PM.
Wow this is coming together fast!! Can't wait to see it finished!
Minor update... it has been rainy/dampy every weekend for painting larger parts, but got the bulk piping apart and glued up and some of the samller parts primed in the paint booth. Took two hours to take it apart and then another three hours with sticker lifter to remove all of the barcode stickers... ugh. :evil:
More inner painting should begin now that the weather is getting warmer. Will be continuing on the official lighting circuits next, then onto the port/top structural designs. Still need to find that pipe-drilling jig or just build a new one...
Wow. This will definitely be one of the top 5 dioramas built when finished.
Nice RACK!!! (sorry I had to say it)
Looks great though.
Amazing diorama in the making--very clever approach.
Took about 12 hours total... but finally got the entire back depth piping taken apart, painted, and reassembled, with the back lighting attached. The main backlight still needs a filter over it, so a bit overbright right now. At least the connectors are all in place to wire up the lights in the main tunnel now.
There are three layers total in the depth detail and this is basically the "back" one. The light should filter through all the layers and look pretty cool once the tunnel detail (inner and outer) is done.
Have to finish up the left depth bay and then back to the inner/outer tunnel details and light tubes... then I finally get to work on the port and surface detail.
Pure skill, and still such a clever way of taking this on, yup, im a fan