Cheap Fiber optics option

GF

Sr Member
I saw a fiber optics lamp at Walmart for only $7.00, there's like a few hundred in a bundle and are approx 14" long, I was thinking of buying a few to light up my SD, but the gauge seem a little too small, what gauge would be good for Randy's SD?

GFollano

Last edited:
I'd need to have randy's kit in front of me to tell for sure but my gut tells me about 1mm...anythng smaller then that wold probably "get lost" in the greeblies... But like I said I don't ave the kit (yet) so I can't REALLY tell.

Jedi Dade

If they're too small, you can bundle 2 or 3 together to make a larger point of light. Bundle multiple strands together and use a little bit of crazy glue (or any CA you might have handy) between the seams to stick'em together.

-Fred

GF, I agree, I'd bundle several and make them roughly 1mm. The effect will be quite similar.

Dave :)

If they're too small, you can bundle 2 or 3 together to make a larger point of light. Bundle multiple strands together and use a little bit of crazy glue (or any CA you might have handy) between the seams to stick'em together.

-Fred

Well, you could always use vinyl or nylon fishing line. It's clear but "dirty". You'll have reduction in light transmission quicker than the "good stuff", but if you're not making them too long, it should work just fine. There should also be a greater variety of thickness to choose from and no breakage like nutsnbolts mentioned about real fiber. And, of course, it's super-cheap.

Worked for me anyway, back in the day before fiber was easily available commercially. :)

Last edited:
Hello all,
I had the same idea some time ago about using the bundle lights from a couple $1 stores I had spotted! Lots of strands at a cheaper price.
I found them to be very thin and brittle! There was no consistency between the strands. And the super-glue tended to melt the strands off so I had to pitch the idea as unworkable! Turned out not to be worth the money I spent.
If someone found a usable way to use these cheaper quality strands I would like to know.
Until then I will stick to the good stuff, less frustrating that way!
Later all, Petseal

Hello all,
I had the same idea some time ago about using the bundle lights from a couple $1 stores I had spotted! Lots of strands at a cheaper price.
I found them to be very thin and brittle! There was no consistency between the strands. And the super-glue tended to melt the strands off so I had to pitch the idea as unworkable! Turned out not to be worth the money I spent.
If someone found a usable way to use these cheaper quality strands I would like to know.
Until then I will stick to the good stuff, less frustrating that way!
Later all, Petseal

You had to be using something other than super glue.

Cyanoacrylate (the main chemical component of all super glues) is not "hot". It's not a chemical adhesive like styrene glue or other polymers. It's a mechanical adhesive which is why it works best on porous materials. It doesn't produce heat during a chemical cure and it doesn't react with the materials being bonded. It only reacts with water. It'll react with the water in your skin (gluing your fingers together) and reacts with water vapor in the air. It takes much longer for it to dry in air that has low humidity.

Styrene/pvc/etc. glues actually melt the plastics so that when it cures, the two pieces actually become one solid piece. You can't pull the pieces apart because they are no longer 2 pieces.

Mechanical adhesives, like krazy glue, have great pull strength (the guy hanging from his hard hat), but little, to no, shear strength; a little tap on the side will knock the two pieces apart. You can also break a CA bond by putting it in the freezer. Since CA reacts and cures with water, all you have to do is freeze the trapped water molecules, causing them to expand and making the bond brittle.

-Fred

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back