Casting Supplies in San Diego

MrRoboto

First off, I'm new here (hi!) so if this is in the wrong place and/or addressed somewhere else, I apologize (I searched like crazy, so I hope I'm good...).

I'm starting several projects that will involve lots of Resin casting, and the requisite Latex and/or Silicone mold making. Thing is, I live in San Diego and nearly all the retailers I can find are up in LA somewhere.

Obviously, I could order stuff online (Smooth-On seems to be a perennial favorite online) but shipping a gallon of, well, ANYthing gets real expensive, real fast.

So my question: does anyone down here have recommendations, or know of somewhere I could physically walk into a store and buy this stuff by the gallon? I'd really appreciate any help - thanks!

Found one!

AeroMarine (AeroMarine Products - Epoxy Resin, Urethane Foam, Silicone Mold Making Rubber). They're located just off Morena Blvd (near the junction of the 8 and the 5). They don't have the variety of products a company like SmoothOn does, of course, but they seem to have an equivalent to most of the common ones. I've found a few people online who have used both (AM and SmoothOn) and say they're comparable... And they cost only half as much. Literally, half. Less if you're a student. I also really like that I could walk in and talk to the owner about the products and get ideas, tips, and info.

Needless to say, I bought my stuff there... I'd promise to report back on quality, but having nothing to compare it to, that seems pointless.

I go to aero marine all the time. I've had one single problem with them in about 2 1/2 years. :thumbsup

Robert Burns and bigger box models, both in San Diego, also go there.

Robert Burns and bigger box models, both in San Diego, also go there.

Awesome. Could you maybe provide a little more info on these places, so I can find them? (quick Google searches are only finding storage units and a guy who plays bagpipes... not quite what you meant, I'm guessing :/ )

Bigger box models is a small company that offers a few large scale trek model on the Internet. Robert Burns is another member of this board that offers resin garage kits.

Awesome. Could you maybe provide a little more info on these places, so I can find them? (quick Google searches are only finding storage units and a guy who plays bagpipes... not quite what you meant, I'm guessing :/ )

Hey thanks for finding that AeroMarine, they are rather limited for my purposes but it's good to know there's at least one company down here in SD that deals with some of this stuff! Prices are about the same as anywhere else too

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back