The Book Seller

Archive&Future

Sr Member
Hot on the heels of my Rusted Machine scratch build comes another original design!
This one is a different scale to the Rusted Machine, which was aboooout 1:200; I would guess that this little guy is maybe 1:10 scale...maybe..?? I'll check on that later actually

tumblr_mqmv1hKfXh1rvpchho1_500.jpg

I started off with a domed lid, and the internal plunger from a Nerf gun (cut to size). I added a spoked tank wheel for the vent

tumblr_mqmv473a5B1rvpchho1_500.jpg

The arms were made from brass rod, aluminium pipe, and plastic tubing.
Unfortunately the plastic cracked when I was gluing it together, so I made some riveted panels and incorporated it instead :D

tumblr_mqmv6lfD1g1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Brass rod, styrene and plastic tubing for the legs

tumblr_mqmv7qIuqm1rvpchho1_500.jpg

I drilled out eyes, lightly engraved the smile, added a panel and primed

tumblr_mqmv96KGiv1rvpchho1_500.jpg

I made the book stand from 1mm styrene sheet

tumblr_mqmvaxt0sK1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Tiny tiny books were made from 1mm and 0.25mm styrene

tumblr_mqmvdlwYFY1rvpchho1_500.jpg

The strap for the book stand was made from a thin strip of 0.25mm styrene

tumblr_mqmvdlwYFY1rvpchho2_500.jpg

Aaand that's where I'm at for now! I've found the scratch building original designs is so much easier and quicker than scratching someone else's!

Hands and a book added for him to read

tumblr_mqnxkpFrs91rvpchho1_500.jpg

Then a gunmetal basecoat

tumblr_mqnxzt8ouq1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Bronze, brown and orange stippled for rusting

tumblr_mqnxzt8ouq1rvpchho2_500.jpg

Masking fluid applied with a rough sponge, and then a basecoat of a fractionally blue tinted white

tumblr_mqnxzt8ouq1rvpchho3_500.jpg

Then two coats of a slightly bluer white

tumblr_mqny885Qhd1rvpchho2_500.jpg

tumblr_mqny885Qhd1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Masking fluid off, not too bad! Still getting trouble with droopy arms though :(

Details drawn in indian ink with a Rotring Isograph pen, rust streaks liberally applied

tumblr_mqny885Qhd1rvpchho3_500.jpg

tumblr_mqnyb3AZnG1rvpchho1_500.jpg

I need to sort out those damn droopy arms, and the hands keep breaking off as well. It sucks, not having any super glue!

Take one block of pine

tumblr_mqr6qoUXwD1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Use a pillar drill with attachment to drill a 54mm ring 1cm deep; saw away a ring using a small hacksaw. Apply antique pine wax

tumblr_mqr6zf9oLK1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Cut 54mm circle of clear perspex, super glue into 60mm clear acrylic tube; place robot inside

tumblr_mqr726WNCG1rvpchho1_500.jpg

???result????

Final photos coming up hopefully tonight

Final photos!

tumblr_mqrnu1k49b1rvpchho3_500.jpg

tumblr_mqrnu1k49b1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mqrnu1k49b1rvpchho2_500.jpg

This was a great learning experience for me in scratch building, and I translating my own 2D art into something tangible and 3D is just...a magnificent feeling frankly!

Awesome creativity!!! I love it and am envious of your talents!
Have you seen this game? Machinarium... It's for iPad.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375272818.883615.jpg
I think you'd appreciate the look and feel of the game.
AGAIN, Fantastic work.

Very cool! Nothing more creative than an original design. I noticed in that photo looking over his shoulder at the book he's reading a drawing of what appears to be the "Rusted Machine". That's a nice little tie in to your other build if so.

Thank you to everyone for the positive feedback; truth be told I wasn't expecting many to take an interest as it's not Star Trek, Star Wars or Iron Man

Awesome creativity!!! I love it and am envious of your talents!
Have you seen this game? Machinarium... It's for iPad.
View attachment 214600
I think you'd appreciate the look and feel of the game.
AGAIN, Fantastic work.

Thank you! Yes I was introduced to Machinarium a couple of years ago, played the whole game through around 4 times now! Absolutely inspirational game, I'd never have started this sort of genre without it.

Very cool! Nothing more creative than an original design. I noticed in that photo looking over his shoulder at the book he's reading a drawing of what appears to be the "Rusted Machine". That's a nice little tie in to your other build if so.

Your eyes are sharp ;)

Lovely, quirky designs and translated brilliantly to 3D. I love the fact you incorporated the crack into the scratchbuild....that was inspired. :)

Very charming! These builds of yours have so much character.
Personally I'm not too sure about the base, I'd prefer something a bit darker and glossy, but that's a personal thing not a criticism.

Are you going to be making some more like this? :)

Very charming! These builds of yours have so much character.
Personally I'm not too sure about the base, I'd prefer something a bit darker and glossy, but that's a personal thing not a criticism.

Are you going to be making some more like this? :)

Thank you, I must agree that they seem to take on a personality of their own. I'm not sure though, I felt the base worked rather well; it has a kind of antique/museum feel to it, especially when the clear tube is in place.

I fully intend to make more of these, both of ones I've already drawn and ones I have yet to!

These are Fantastic!! Have you thought about making copy's that are fully articulated? with a few more characters I reckon you could make a great stop motion movie with them :thumbsup :)

These are Fantastic!! Have you thought about making copy's that are fully articulated? with a few more characters I reckon you could make a great stop motion movie with them :thumbsup :)

Funnily enough my 8 year old brother also said the same :D
I daresay I'll make some larger scale versions in the near future which will have some kind of articulation to them.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back