"BATA" HLMF / HRMF Decals 90% done (95% hasbro parts HRMF build)

I tried last night, as an experiment, to get a screen capture of the MF from a non-Blue Ray DVD of 'A New Hope' I have. However, I found how many of the scenes (what few actually have the MF in them...) aren't the five footer in the 'enhanced release' (cough-cough) but rather the 32" model! In fact, the only moment I did capture was the previously cited scene during the Death Star escape fight with the TIEs when I also got a view of the dish. However, it was oriented such that the mystery colored stripe (item #88) was away from the camera. Dang! I did see that there was another instance of item #9 - Inverted Rescue Panel - at the top of the dish's 'A-frame' mount. This view also seems to have 'put-paid' to the idea that there were black 'data placards' in the locations that appear currently as yellow blocks (aka glue residue.) Now I suspect they were larger blocks of text arrayed at the compass points of the mount base ring but this is based on a smudge in the screen cap, so...

Also, I have found an image that shows item #30, the red "S" decal, clearly enough to be certain it IS NOT a Shelby Cobra logo. I do not recognize its source, but it definitely a red 'S' on a white circle on a black encompassing square. New is the fact that there is a 'notch' in the white at the top of the 'S' (which I had previously interpreted as a crown for a King Cobra...) no_30.jpg

So, one more sorted if not the source ID'ed. Regards, Robert

Last edited:
Hey all, I am getting caught up here after being away for a few days...can't walk away for a minute or I miss everything! ;)

CLARIFICATION: #159

....Speaking about the F-4 RESCUE placard, to me the proportions in the image don't match the F-4 images;

I do still think this is the F-4 RESCUE placard, I think what is making the proportions not look right is that the greeblie part it is sitting on is actually partially covering the bottom portion of the decal...maybe these images can show it a little clearer...

5footcollage_zoom.jpg5footcollage_zoom_coverup.jpgPlacement-F-4-Spainish-Air-Force-right_crop.jpg

SOURCE UPDATE: #10, #114, and an Unknown

I have found a likely source for decal #10, the R-W-B stripe, found on the rear port wall...it appears to have come from an AMT Penske Racing 1974-5 AMC Matador (the one with the van & trailer)...it is the top portion of the 'PENSKE RACING' logo...this is also the most likely source for #114, the top portion of the AMC logo found on the bottom starboard docking tunnel forward wall

74-AMC-NASCAR-Matador-Team-kit-AMT-1.JPGFalconGuts34comp_crop.jpgFalconBottom5comp_crop.jpg

...and speaking of the 'PENSKY' logo, I think I have ID'd one of the unknown decals on the the upper starboard dock tunnel mentioned recently in post #156...the checkered looking one that is about halk-way in appears to be the bottom portion of the same 'PENSKY' logo used for #10...still not sure about the other unknown (kinda looks like an 'X' sideways), really need some better images of it...

Here are a couple of unknowns that need 'working' both located on the fwd wall of the upper starboard dock tunnel:

View attachment 448841View attachment 448843

MORE SOURCE UPDATES: #11, #12, #122, #126, and #139

....I found the source of this decal, #139:

View attachment 448299

It comes from Microscale sheet MC-4026 Burlington 25' & 35' Piggy Back Trailers & Tractors 1949; it is the lower half of the "Burlington Route" signage decal. Of course, this is the sheet it is *currently* available on, but most likely not the original source since the sheet number is too recent (too high). However, the graphic would have been used on an earlier sheet or this one is a reissue of a prior sheet. Either way, this is exactly the one (the white 'area' is the word 'Route'...)...

Robert nice find on the Burlington decal...but...although there are 'Burlington Route' logos on that sheet I think I found another more likely Microscale candidate for that decal and several more...the Microscale HO Scale 87-15 - Burlington Hood Diesels, Red, White, Gray Diesels

MS87-15.jpg

...you can find the 'Burlington' logo #139, the 'SD 45' block #122, the number string used in both #11 and #126 is there, as well as the Yellow & Red Stripes #12 (now we know it was one long strip that was cut into sections) you can notice that there is a thick line and thin line version on the sheet, as can also be seen on the Falcon...

I LIKE it when you can find several decals in one place!

Oh! And one more item ID'd...

ID UPDATE: #100 (#78 and #132)

Looking at images I happened to glance sideways at an image of #100 and realized that it was a cutting off the same decal used for #78 and #132...#100 is the top portion of the 'Transport Leasing' logo found somewhere on an, as yet, unknown source (any ideas?)...

blogmanitobacartldx7766pecostxmarch1983_billwhitfield.jpgno_78.jpgno_132.jpgno_100.jpg

I will look into some of the other ones and post more updates as I can...whew!

imurme

Hey all, I am getting caught up here after being away for a few days...can't walk away for a minute or I miss everything! ;)
CLARIFICATION: #159
I do still think this is the F-4 RESCUE placard, I think what is making the proportions not look right is that the greeblie part it is sitting on is actually partially covering the bottom portion of the decal...maybe these images can show it a little clearer...

View attachment 450608View attachment 450609View attachment 450610

[CONCUR!]

SOURCE UPDATE: #10, #114, and an Unknown

I have found a likely source for decal #10, the R-W-B stripe, found on the rear port wall...it appears to have come from an AMT Penske Racing 1974-5 AMC Matador (the one with the van & trailer)...it is the top portion of the 'PENSKE RACING' logo...this is also the most likely source for #114, the top portion of the AMC logo found on the bottom starboard docking tunnel forward wall

View attachment 450576View attachment 450578View attachment 450579

...and speaking of the 'PENSKY' logo, I think I have ID'd one of the unknown decals on the the upper starboard dock tunnel mentioned recently in post #156...the checkered looking one that is about halk-way in appears to be the bottom portion of the same 'PENSKY' logo used for #10...still not sure about the other unknown (kinda looks like an 'X' sideways), really need some better images of it...

[CONCUR! Great findings!]

MORE SOURCE UPDATES: #11, #12, #122, #126, and #139
Robert nice find on the Burlington decal...but...although there are 'Burlington Route' logos on that sheet I think I found another more likely Microscale candidate for that decal and several more...the Microscale HO Scale 87-15 - Burlington Hood Diesels, Red, White, Gray Diesels

View attachment 450601

...you can find the 'Burlington' logo #139, the 'SD 45' block #122, the number string used in both #11 and #126 is there, as well as the Yellow & Red Stripes #12 (now we know it was one long strip that was cut into sections) you can notice that there is a thick line and thin line version on the sheet, as can also be seen on the Falcon...

I LIKE it when you can find several decals in one place!
[CONCUR! I thought the stripe arrays may also have sourced the 'military ribbon' decal under the ramp, but they are lacking the thin red stripes...]

Oh! And one more item ID'd...

ID UPDATE: #100 (#78 and #132)

Looking at images I happened to glance sideways at an image of #100 and realized that it was a cutting off the same decal used for #78 and #132...#100 is the top portion of the 'Transport Leasing' logo found somewhere on an, as yet, unknown source (any ideas?)...

View attachment 450604View attachment 450605View attachment 450607View attachment 450606
[Excellent! Of course, we are now looking for the Microscale railroad sheet with these hopper logos on it...]

I will look into some of the other ones and post more updates as I can...whew!

imurme

I will update the tracker with these new findings. Great work!
Regards, Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
Some updates: First, the scrap remnant item #102 has been found on a Microscale decal sheet [HO #87-23 54 ft Center Flow Hoppers] as a trimmed piece from the HERCULES label strip as shown below:
no_102.jpgno_102_source_locator.jpgno_102_source.jpgno_102_complete.jpg

Also, found item #13, the red & white "SDEN" trimmed decal was found on another Microscale decal sheet [HO #RH-24 Pullman-Standard Covered Hoppers] where it was trimmed from the COSDEN logo:
no_13.jpgno_13_source.jpg

On the same decal sheet is items #78 & #132, trimmed from the TLDX 'Transportation Leasing' logos:
no_78.jpgno_78_source.jpgno_132.jpg

Also found was item #39 ("cat ears on a triangle") trimmed from the EQUITY logo:
no_39_source.jpg

And there you go!
Regards, Robert

Cool finds Robert! You really hit it big with these ones....perhaps better than you thought...

On the Microscale HO #87-23 sheet, the one with the 'Hercules' logo used on the elusive #102 (great eye btw, I would never have spotted that one!), there is another used decal, the 'El Rexene' is the red 'fast' lettering used in #40 (trimmed and cut in half)...

no_102_source_locator.jpgno_40_pt2.jpg

Also, looking on the other sheet, the Microscale HO #RH-24, you may have seen that the 'COSDEN' logo was also used for the odd looking #72, just using a portion of it as well...

Right-Side-15_crop.jpgCOSDEN_logo_cropped.jpg

And...I have identified the other unknown decal you pointed out back in previous post #156...the small squarish one further out on the Sealab greeblie, I had thought it looked like a sideways X but it actually appears to be text. Looking at more images I found a couple that show it better and I realized it is also found on the Microscale HO #RH-24 sheet...it is the 'do not' label...

_MG_4120_crop_zoom.jpgunknown_no2_identified.jpgunknown _no2.jpg

Lastley, for now, there was mention of the yellow decal on the bottom side of the starboard docking ring (I believe it is #160 on the tracker) it is a vertical 'RESCUE' arrow often found on aircraft stencil sheets, such as an F-4...

IMG_0025_crop.jpgrescue_arrow_example.jpg

...it's really coming together nicely...just a few more to solve

imurme

Cool finds Robert! You really hit it big with these ones....perhaps better than you thought...

On the Microscale HO #87-23 sheet, the one with the 'Hercules' logo used on the elusive #102 (great eye btw, I would never have spotted that one!), there is another used decal, the 'El Rexene' is the red 'fast' lettering used in #40 (trimmed and cut in half)...

View attachment 451232View attachment 451233
[BOO-Yah! Great catch...]

Also, looking on the other sheet, the Microscale HO #RH-24, you may have seen that the 'COSDEN' logo was also used for the odd looking #72, just using a portion of it as well...

View attachment 451181View attachment 451180

[Another good one - I thought the same thing but couldn't seem to get the thing to fit... the colors looked right, though.]

And...I have identified the other unknown decal you pointed out back in previous post #156...the small squarish one further out on the Sealab greeblie, I had thought it looked like a sideways X but it actually appears to be text. Looking at more images I found a couple that show it better and I realized it is also found on the Microscale HO #RH-24 sheet...it is the 'do not' label...

View attachment 451222View attachment 451220View attachment 451221
[I was wondering... the unknown looks like it is on a white background, but could be the effect of fading or a wash that was protected by clear portions of the decal. Correction - there IS a white background to it! This is readily visible on the sheet example provided by Microscae on their website.]

Lastly, for now, there was mention of the yellow decal on the bottom side of the starboard docking ring (I believe it is #160 on the tracker) it is a vertical 'RESCUE' arrow often found on aircraft stencil sheets, such as an F-4...

View attachment 451226View attachment 451231
[ Yeah, was thinking along the same lines, what with the arrow being 'rubbed off', the proportions would be great fit. Without a much clearer image to show the words, I would go with along with this. CORRECTION: This IS a much clearer image! SET-MATCH]

...it's really coming together nicely...just a few more to solve

imurme

Thanks very much for your findings, it keeps things moving! I will add these to the updates for tomorrow - I just posted another update to the Tracker onto the website, so missed it "by this much". ;^P

Regards, Robert

All, updated the Tracker and Image archive files onto the Hampton Roads Scale Modelers club website; please download the latest and discard the old versions if possible. Link as usual:

hamptonroadscalemodelers.com

Look for the posts on the right for the Millennium Falcon markings...
Cheers!
Robert

Another nugget to "chew on": I believe that items #77 & #53 are the same base decal with different
overlaid secondary decals. In fact, in images of #53, you can see the separate 'yellowed' layers of the two decals. With this in mind, can we come up with the source of the bottom decal (the red outlined white rectangle)? I thought it might have come from an old AMT TOS Enterprise (which has a few orange/red outlined 'boxes' on it) but I've not been able to find images of the circa 1970's versions of that kit's decals. Seems I saw something on a Microscale railroading decal sheet, but can't find the way back to it (I may have actually seen that in the hobby shop when I was looking through their selection...) One thing that would help is if we can determine if these two instance are actually the same size; this would also help with the source of the "VMA (AW) 533" decal used on #77. In #53's case, the remaining visible gray decal seems to match the print quality of #26 on the cockpit nose - two of which are included on the source kit decal sheet, AMT's Nitro Funny Car. The dimensions will help to nail this issue down. Anyone got good measures of these from the image references?

Thanks! Robert
no_53.jpgno_77.jpg

Another nugget to "chew on": I believe that items #77 & #53 are the same base decal with different
overlaid secondary decals. In fact, in images of #53, you can see the separate 'yellowed' layers of the two decals. With this in mind, can we come up with the source of the bottom decal (the red outlined white rectangle)? I thought it might have come from an old AMT TOS Enterprise (which has a few orange/red outlined 'boxes' on it) but I've not been able to find images of the circa 1970's versions of that kit's decals. Seems I saw something on a Microscale railroading decal sheet, but can't find the way back to it (I may have actually seen that in the hobby shop when I was looking through their selection...) One thing that would help is if we can determine if these two instance are actually the same size; this would also help with the source of the "VMA (AW) 533" decal used on #77. In #53's case, the remaining visible gray decal seems to match the print quality of #26 on the cockpit nose - two of which are included on the source kit decal sheet, AMT's Nitro Funny Car. The dimensions will help to nail this issue down. Anyone got good measures of these from the image references?

Thanks! Robert
View attachment 451749View attachment 451750

You are absolutely correct, the red outlined white rectangle is overlaid by the grey #26 off the AMT Nitro Funny Car...you can see it in this older shot...

VEH_IA_843_crop.jpg

...in my drawings of the decal, using a scaled 1/25 AMT Nitro Funny Car decal (if I have that scaled correctly), I have come up with these measures for the red outlined white rectangle #53...

height - 22.65 mm
width - 7.79 mm

...not sure how much that will help, but there ya go.

imurme

Great! You must have wonderful archives to keep dredging up these period pix, Imurme! So, with that we can compare to such 'red outlined white boxes' and see if we can find the source (I thought perhaps the 'Danger Blast' rectangles from an F-4, but those have the words in 'em.) BTW, I found the 'VMA (AW) 533" decal is from a Microscale sheet. It appears on a 1/72 scale one, so by measure, I can determine if that is the source of the overlay on the bottom rectangle... that is sheet 72-79, Marine A-6's, which would also provide the small E-Seat warning triangles, the 'inverted rescue panel' decals (the box and triangle...), possibly the 'RESCUE' arrow on the starboard dock ring hatch, the 'pitot static' circles & plus possibly the jet intake warning for the aft underside. The Microscale range of aircraft sheets are a whole new source for researching (operative word being 'search'!)
Fun - fun!
Robert

Forgive me for asking, but are you going to be making decal sheets including all of these findings? And if so when?

Forgive me for asking, but are you going to be making decal sheets including all of these findings? And if so when?

The simple answer to your question is...yes...the effort being put into these findings is meant to help everyone reach thier goals, decal-wise. And it is hoped that the access to this information will be of use to anybody interested in the millennium falcon.

Retiredadguy, who started this thread, has been making a great decal set for himself and others to use on there Hasbro builds...As you may know, the Hasbro falcons are not based solely on the larger (5ft) studio scale falcon that these decals are being researched from, but is more of a mix between it and the smaller (32in) studio model that has no decals, and as such his decals are more interpretive and give the 'feel' of the studio decals. The Hasbro falcons are a smaller scale than the studio models and the decals can't really be put in all the same locations either, since the parts are not all there or the same on the Hasbros as on the larger studio model.

As for myself, I have been using the collaborative research here to create a Studio Scale Decal Set, meant to be used on more exact replicas of the larger (5ft) studio model (but could also be used on other falcons)...This set is being made as complete and as accurately as possible and to the correct scale for a full size falcon...I do hope to offer them as decal sheets once they are finished, which they very nearly are, and I will be posting about my set soon in the Studio Scale section of this forum.

rbeach84, who has been such a great organiser of the collected information here, and has even been making updated excel spreadsheets and image files for everyone to keep track of the decals with, has expressed goals of making an alternative set that would be more 'in universe' with Star Wars by using the actual language and fonts shown in the movies...

We each have different directions that we are going with the decals, but it all still depends on the research being done here to build from, and hopefully others are going to also benefit from the shared information in there projects.

I for one am glad to have been part of the team here :)

imurme

Guys, at some point we'll need to establish a 'sticky' posting... but that is probably a little while off yet. My latest efforts have been to read through the Parts Maps thread(s) and then search for the associated kits' decals - just in case the ILM crew used those as a source of their applied decals.

It is cool they used so much 'aftermarket' in the way of Microscale decals. At that time (mid-70's), MS's catalog was certainly smaller but to what extent smaller I don't know. I have kind of restricted my searches to the lower numbers, but there is a difference in the 1/72 & the 1/48 scale sets (1/48 being much less at the time.) Also, MS tended to reuse designs over time where applicable, or reissue earlier numbered sheets under higher numbers, occasionally with some revisions or improvements. All in all, it just means a lot of 'lookin' at decals' to get things done. With Imurme's help, many of the tattered or missing decs have been resolved, but there are some lingering nags in the two items on the tip of the starboard mandible and the remnant white & blue scrap on the starboard 'wall' between the dock ring and the cockpit tunnel. The hunt continues...

I second the joy of being part of this effort!

Regards, Robert

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back