Another MPC Millennium Falcon Modification

compv.jpg

J

Hey i need that ;)

-Angel

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the encouragement guys

ZOMBIEREPELLENT, yes this has to be the most fun I've had on build in a very long time, posting WIP also keeps me focused.

Thanks astroboy, I think the cockpit turned out ok (but I might make another slightly smaller)

Darth Humorous, your input is very valuable to me, I decided not to attempt to correct the curvature of the hull, mainly because I am too chicken....also because I thought I'd de-stable the kits structure.

I'm not so sure now, but I think it's too late at the stage I'm at now to attempt it, I seriously am considering reducing the size of the cockpit and am definitely going to make the dish smaller.

Then I can move on.

Zombie_61, It is strange that when I look at the model with my eyes the cockpit and all looks fine but through the camera it looks way to big.

Qrest Fourstar, thanks for verifying...it will be delt with

Vaderios, if you get back to the edit, no problem.

Thanks for your help

J

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay going back to my WIP, at the end of July I eventually reattached the lower Jaw

underside1.jpg

underside2a.jpg

Looks kinda naked on the underside

underside3.jpg

At this time I spent quite a lot of time making & scrapping.....it was like 3 steps forward & 4 back .....I spent a couple of nights making new docking rings again, I scrapped the last ones, they looked too big even though they were made with the measurements of the cockpit tube, so I started again....had both made, then on looking at them the next morning they weren't circular enough, rolling the poly sheets to make them didn't work out.

I had to come up with an alternative, I also added more detail to the inside of the thruster break flaps:
newtubes.jpg

decku.jpg

actuators.jpg

actuators2.jpg

Again I thought I was making progress with the Docking rings
p1030466y.jpg

The metal part inside is from an old VHS head drum, I was hoping it would serve as a background to the details and the airlock door
p1030463q.jpg

I drew the panel lines on the masking tape, then I'll peel it off and stick it to some thin card and cut out the panel parts

p1030467kq.jpg

But the cones still didn't look symmetrical, I really was considering scraping them again & doing them again.

Thanks for looking
J

Last edited:
Hi J.

Here are some measurments I made against the 5 foot Falcon. They come close to John Martins (SSM, MPC Falcon rebuild, the original overhall), and work close against the figures the guys on the 5 foot falcon ID thread have come up with.

However!!!!!!!! I would change nothing, The cockpit does not look to big at all when looking at the model on its own. Do not compare it to the stills. You have taken some artistic licence and I feel that cockpit size works as does the dish size. It may be if you change one, it will through the other off.

Remember that the 32 inch build has many differences in sizes to the 5 foot as well. You are making your (32") interpretation of the ship. I would stick with the excellent work you have done. But ultimately you have to be happy.

PS: Another Awsome update.

Cokpit diameter = 43.79mm
Radar Dish = 43.97mm
Docking rings outer rim = 43.97mm
Docking ring Inner rim = 38.69
Side wall height 15mm

Depth for spacer to get the curvature = 66mm

Ozzy

Hi J.

Here are some measurments I made against the 5 foot Falcon. They come close to John Martins (SSM, MPC Falcon rebuild, the original overhall), and work close against the figures the guys on the 5 foot falcon ID thread have come up with.

However!!!!!!!! I would change nothing, The cockpit does not look to big at all when looking at the model on its own. Do not compare it to the stills. You have taken some artistic licence and I feel that cockpit size works as does the dish size. It may be if you change one, it will through the other off.

Remember that the 32 inch build has many differences in sizes to the 5 foot as well. You are making your (32") interpretation of the ship. I would stick with the excellent work you have done. But ultimately you have to be happy.

PS: Another Awsome update.

Cokpit diameter = 43.79mm
Radar Dish = 43.97mm
Docking rings outer rim = 43.97mm
Docking ring Inner rim = 38.69
Side wall height 15mm

Depth for spacer to get the curvature = 66mm

Ozzy
Did you manage to adjust the curvature on yours?

Thanks Ozzy for the measurements and advice, I really wish I had double checked your previous builds instead of trying to work out the dimensions myself, I'll see how it goes, I'll continue on....detailing the underside.....but on the side I'll see if I can scratch a new dish & cockpit fresh.....not touching the ones I have made, I don't want to scrap them, incase the new ones don't turn out right.

As astroboy asked, you fixed the curvature on your ship, do you think it would be too much to mod mine at this stage?

J

Thanks Ozzy for the measurements and advice, I really wish I had double checked your previous builds instead of trying to work out the dimensions myself, I'll see how it goes, I'll continue on....detailing the underside.....but on the side I'll see if I can scratch a new dish & cockpit fresh.....not touching the ones I have made, I don't want to scrap them, incase the new ones don't turn out right.

As astroboy asked, you fixed the curvature on your ship, do you think it would be too much to mod mine at this stage?

J

Hi J,

To adjust the curvature, you would have to cut the docking ring walk ways. I think you mentioned before that this would make your model a little unstable. again I dont see the need, but what ever you decide, I am sure you will do it well.

Astroboy, yes I did fix it up. learnt how to read my own spread sheets. LOL.

Ozzy

Ozzy

I think what you are doing here with the MPC kit is stunning!. Not an easy kit to bring up to standard, but your'e doing an amazing job.

I once considered doing the same mods but came to the conclusion:

Heck, I'll just build the 5 footer in studio scale, much easier:lol.

One of the best mods Iv'e seen, great work mate!

Stu

J,

if you go to Ketzer.com, you’ll see his example of improving the curvature. I don’t know how to make the links go there, so you will have to navigate through his “Star Wars Stuff” and find the “ERTL Millennium Falcon” thumbnail and click on that. Currently, and from my computer, it shows up on the bottom left.

Mark

Thanks Ozzy, I think I'll agree with you, I'll leave the curvature as it is,....toooo risky!!

eagle1, wow to have that kind of comment from someone who is undertaking what you are doing.....thanks very much.....I hope I can make it right

Thanks Darth Humorous I'm going to check out that site once I finish posting this

Well I think I'm going to totally scratch the Radar Dish, structure & base, I think the whole unit is too large....even the opening in the hull:
dishw.jpg

dish2i.jpg

Last night I made a new tube for the cockpit, I don't know if it is because I've experienced it before and because of the problems I had with the docking rings, I was able to make the tube and was happy with it on the first attempt.
newtubel.jpg

newtube2.jpg

Thanks for the help guys

J

...I decided not to attempt to correct the curvature of the hull, mainly because I am too chicken....also because I thought I'd de-stable the kits structure.

I'm not so sure now, but I think it's too late at the stage I'm at now to attempt it, I seriously am considering reducing the size of the cockpit and am definitely going to make the dish smaller.
That's why the cockpit and cockpit tube appear to be too big in the comparison photos--it's the kit's "incorrect" curvature of the hull! The deeper/thicker portion of the main hull on the filming model obscures more of the inboard end of the cockpit tube (I hope I've explained that properly). Not that it matters now, since you've already begun construction of a new cockpit. :lol

I do concur that the radar dish still seems to be slightly oversized regardless of the hull's curvature. Yeah, it's a pain in the youknowwhat to have to rebuild it, but your skills are clearly more than adequate for the task. Besides, it would probably bother you if you didn't. ;)

Back to the WIP, I'm almost up to date...mid August..

I still wasn't happy with the docking rings and I was thinking of starting them again, but I had a brainwave, I bought a couple of bottles of cheap bleach and I used the lids pushed in side the rings to force the circular shape through.

cone1.jpg

I did cut away the top of the lid to reveal the safety cap mechanism
cone2.jpg

Now with scratched airlock door

screenshot20120903at103.png

Attaching the Hex walls
newwalkway3.jpg

screenshot20120903at105.png

So this now introduces a problem that the docking arms are not as high as the studio model and the rings fill quite a lot of the Hex wall, this is due to me not correcting the curvature of the hull
images

I'm going to have to find a way to six this, I don't really want to attempt th fix the curvature as it would destabilise the model

I had a PM from Ozzy and he spotted a part that instead of me reducing the size of, I built it up.....after checking the reference photos of the 5ft studio model....the part that Ozzy pointed out stood out like a huge boil, so it's modification time again.

I snipped off the parts:
skid2h.jpg

skid3.jpg

skid4.jpg

It was at this point I discovered the problem with the size of the cockpit & dish
skid5.jpg

skid6.jpg

So that is me up to date

Thanks for looking
J

Thanks Ozzy, I've also gone back and deconstructed part of the upper jaw box.....it was one of the first parts I modified, I've managed not to wreck anything.

J

This build is great. I am nearly done with my second FM falcon and am thinking of attempting what you have done here as I prefer the 5 footer in most respects. Damn your inspirational build! Fine job sir!

That is some crazy work you're doing there Jaitea. I take it that this bird will be lighted as well, of course, after all this it would be a shame not to.

Keep it up!

Thanks Scratchy, yes I'm lighting the ship, at the minute I've only realised the engines, I would like to light the cockpit, but I'm going to have to scratch that.

I'll take some photos tonight, the only photos I have of the lights was at a very early stage of the build

J

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back