Alien Nostromo interior models

Thanks for sharing these pictures! I really admire the attention to detail, you've really captured the tone. And I especially like the overview shots of your models on the bed, I think that those kind of behind-the-scenes shots always tell the real story. Do you have any pictures of the build while in process? Let's see some more, if you have them.

Thanks for your kind words Mr Fett. When I made them 30 years ago it never occured to me to take any pics, but I have been inspired by the reactions on here and on two Facebook modelling pages to make another fictional section of the Nostromo I never got round to doing, and this time I do intend to take pics during the build.

I'm sure we've all seen the blueprints on 'tinternet of A Deck and how it was redressed as B & later the infirmary as the C deck engine control room, but I've yet to find any blueprints or plans for the C Deck 'garage' set where Brett goes chasing the cat. So, having watched the movie umpteen times and made my Garage set as it was done for the movie, I drew up a plan of the set in case anyone hadn't worked out what the passagways were connected to, and I reproduce it here.

A Deck, taken from a blueprint and massively cleaned up.
A Deck blueprint white.jpg

B Deck blueprint, numbered by me. A is the shuttle (built on the bridge set), B is the shuttle airlock, C is the main airlock, only seen from passageway E. D is the galley set redressed as both airlock anterooms, F is the infirmary (not used as B Deck) redressed, along with passageway section F1, as the engineering control room on C Deck. The hypersleep chamber G was obviously redressed for some sequence it would seem was never shot, and H is where Ripley goes to prepare the shuttle while Park & Lambert go down the ladderway to get the oxygen bottles.
B Deck blueprint numbered.jpg

My C Deck plan. The passageways run along two sides of the vehicle garage, and were redressed multiple times to represent different parts of C Deck. The two ladderways should be obvious. Item A is the aerial vehicle, B is the large tracked vehicle where Brett finds the small alien has shed it's skin, C is the small 'prospecting vehicle', D is the landing leg room, E is the room that doubled as both where they tried to snare the cat in the net, and later as the oxygen tank room where Parker & Lambert are killed. The long passageway that ends at F represents the approximate position of where a large mirror was placed, to make the passage appear much longer. The reflections of Brett & Parker are just visible if you watch closely in the one shot in the movie.

C Deck garage plan Dec 2013.jpg

The blue circles are the ceiling support pillars. The spacing of these pillars does seem a little odd, but this is how they were built. The dark red and green circles represents round objects that the camera passes in the sequence where Lambert & Parker collect the oxygen bottles from the aerial vehicle, the red oblong represents a large tubular structure deliberately placed in the same sequence just described, to hide the entrance to the landing leg room, thereby making it look like a different room. The shapes with X's represent unidentified pieces of equipment. The red line at the top of the image represents where the unseen wall of the room would have been, and I placed a hypothetical elevator in the wall of the room which houses the two large vehicles, which must have been on this wall as it is obviously not visible on any of the other three walls, to get the vehicles in & out of the ship.

Attachments

• C Deck garage plan Dec 2013.jpg
    C Deck garage plan Dec 2013.jpg
    587 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
Ya know, I never caught on that that thing was the footpad of the landing leg until you said so and showed that one pic. That kinda blows my mind. I've watched Alien many times, and always just assumed that was some machinery hanging from the ceiling.

Ya know, I never caught on that that thing was the footpad of the landing leg until you said so and showed that one pic. That kinda blows my mind. I've watched Alien many times, and always just assumed that was some machinery hanging from the ceiling.

It took me quite a few viewings to realise that's what it was too!! That deleted scene where Ripley finds Dallas & Brett cocooned was shot in the landing leg room as you can see by the shapes of what she passes inbetween, but it's obviously intended to be hanging machinery in the cocoon sequence, as there's detail parts on what would be the underside of the pads, which would obviously be crushed the first time it landed somewhere.

Ripley burning Dallas & Brett.jpg

I've been thinking about what I should do for the fictional area of the Nostromo & I remember Brett & Parker built the 'cattle prods' & flamethrowers. This implies there was a workshop somewhere onboard which, thinking about it, there would have to have been, to make minor inflight repairs should they become neccesary, so I think that's what I'll create. Does this sound a reasonable idea?

Quick question: how do you subscribe to a thread by someone else please? I've had a look round and I can't see any indication of how to do it.

This is the idea I've had for the fictional area of the Nostromo; the workshop I mentioned in an earlier message. I decided to make an outer room with two passageways and a narrower maintenance tunnel which would utilise the passagway sections I had marked years ago but never cut out.

B Deck workshop Dec 2013.jpg

I decided to make it a more extensive machine shop rather than a simple workshop. A is workbenches, B is intended to be a lathe or milling machine, C will be a pillar drill, D will be a bandsaw & E will probably be storage space for pipes, steel sheets etc. The yellow area is a window and the black areas are hatchways. The light blue boxes with X's are intended to be machinery.

As the machine shop will be completely enclosed with a visible cieling, I decided to make the two end walls with the dotted lines of slotted cardboard like the C Deck passageways, thereby allowing light in, but I might have to cut sections of the cieling out as well if it's too dark. The open side of the model at bottom left will be for viewing and photography.

It's not set in stone that this is how it will turn out, so please feel free to comment and make any suggestions for additions or omissions.

Last edited:
Most awesome work, Andyrowlands62! A group of us were working on a set of internal blueprints, based on my very (very!) primitive deck plans from my old "The Nostromo Files" site from the 90s. Your work shows a creative approach that would help inform that project, since I have been using the set plans as a template for each deck's beginnings, figuring modular construction would be key in the future.

Best of luck,
Darrell C

Last edited:
Most awesome work, Andyrowlands62! A group of us were working on a set of internal blueprints, based on my very (very!) primitive deck plans from my old "The Nostromo Files" site from the 90s. Your work shows a creative approach that would help inform that project, since I have been using the set plans as a template for each deck's beginnings, figuring modular construction would be key in the future. Here are said blueprints <cringe>, but maybe they'll spark some insight...

View attachment 270335View attachment 270336View attachment 270337View attachment 270338

In addition, here is a summary of all the details we could compile to help wrap our heads around the project...

Best of luck,
Darrell C

Thanks for your kind words Darrell. I had come across your blueprints several times during internet searches for behind the scenes images from the film. I have worked out the configuration of B & C decks under where the facehugger spills acid onto the Autodoc floor, but for some reason the thing you use to add pics is not currently working, so I'm unable to post them. When it's working again I'll add them in case they are of any help to you. The one thing that stood out on A Deck was where you have an extra passageway to the maintenance lift & lockers, that wall is shown in the movie as a soild wall. Part of the drawings I made for the decks below the acid spill also show the only unseen sections of A Deck passageway where washrooms and lockers could be. Also I found a shot of the shuttle airlock during model construction which shows there is 'just' enough room to house the ladderway Parker & Lambert descend to what would presumably be C Deck while Ripley goes to prepare the shuttle & when the photo adding part works I'll add that pic too.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back