1X1 scale facehugger vinyl model - Finished

Re: 1X1 scale facehugger vinyl model - wip

I ran a thin, flexible tube down the tail on mine, which stopped it bending and creasing if curved too acutely. Unfortunately, over time it became brittle and crumbled, so look out for that if you do the same.
On the original kit you really did need some thick wire for an armature as the front two legs were crossed-over when assembled.

Yup, I did forget to mention I used wire inside all the legs (it's easier to pose that way). Besides didn't like the crossed front legs original design.

Step nbr 5 - Painting and assembling the legs

fh28c.jpg fh28d.jpg fh28e.jpg

fh28f.jpg fh28g.jpg fh28h.jpg

The model is finished
Thank you dropshipbob for beeing the only forum member to make a comment on the kit painting

FH31.jpg FH32.jpg FH33.jpg

FH34.jpg

FH35.jpg FH36.jpg fh37.jpg

fh38.jpg fh39.jpg FH40.jpg

FH41.jpg fh42.jpg FH43.jpg

fh44.jpg fh45.jpg fh46.jpg

FH47.jpg

Wow that turned out fantastic!
Seems like it´s not the first model kit you´ve given a paintjob to ;)

Markus

Thank you gentlemen for your kind replies - they're much appreciated
Yes Odiwan, you're right - it's not the first kit I've given a paintjob
As to your question Nick, my first thought was to put it on the round tube but than realised I was going to need a very big one. Right now I'm thinking of making a persplex box to house it but since it has a very long tail I'm gonna need large pieces of perplex (and that means having to spend more money that I was initially thinking of - anyway can't leave like that because of the dust)
And Reelo, glad you found it suitingly disgusting (that was the idea)
Thank you

Finally got time to built this cabinet (wood and perspex glass) to house the model
Sadly had to abandon the tube project (it was my first thought) but it would be too big
Here's the pics:

cabinet2.jpg cabinet3.jpg cabinet4.jpg cabinet5.jpg

cabinet1.jpg

Very awesome! I just recently built up a vinyl Facehugger kit but it didn't have the extra nails with it.

I used your build up as my reference as I had never built anything like it. I learned that it worked well for me to heat the vinyl up with a heat gun and then hot glue the parts together. If something went together crooked, I could just heat up the seam and adjust. Once it was were I wanted it I superglued and puttied it up. I also quickly learned that the paint job looks very simple but is a pain in the butt to get it to look just right. I didn't have an airbrush or anything so I had to do it with washes of acrylics.

Anyways, great job! And thank you for posting up your process, I wouldn't have been able to build mine without your info as a reference. :):thumbsup

Looks great! Nice paintjob. Just the right level of "icky" ;)

And as touched upon - The original Halcyon kit was sold in "Alien" packaging, but based upon the "Aliens" version of the design.

Having built both original Halcyons, and the harder vinyl recasts, I actually prefer the body stage of the build in the recast, as the flexibility of the vinyl in the HAlvyon makes it a PITA to get the seams to glue properly.

Very awesome! I just recently built up a vinyl Facehugger kit but it didn't have the extra nails with it.

I used your build up as my reference as I had never built anything like it. I learned that it worked well for me to heat the vinyl up with a heat gun and then hot glue the parts together. If something went together crooked, I could just heat up the seam and adjust. Once it was were I wanted it I superglued and puttied it up. I also quickly learned that the paint job looks very simple but is a pain in the butt to get it to look just right. I didn't have an airbrush or anything so I had to do it with washes of acrylics.

Anyways, great job! And thank you for posting up your process, I wouldn't have been able to build mine without your info as a reference. :):thumbsup

Wow! Glad my kit was of help to you (you leave me without words with your kind comments)
For an easier assembly I submerged the pieces in warm water and worked out good. I also only used brush (no airbrush). Post a pic of your fh
Thank you

Looks great! Nice paintjob. Just the right level of "icky" ;)

And as touched upon - The original Halcyon kit was sold in "Alien" packaging, but based upon the "Aliens" version of the design.

Having built both original Halcyons, and the harder vinyl recasts, I actually prefer the body stage of the build in the recast, as the flexibility of the vinyl in the HAlvyon makes it a PITA to get the seams to glue properly.

Thank you for your comments. I only built this recast and found a "normal" level of difficulty for a vinyl kit (I built Harryhausen's Medusa before this one)

Yeah, I couldn't find a way to make the inner surfaces mate properly, as the vinyl was just so flexible -Ended up drilling some tiny holes, and actually sewing it!

Nice build what paint did you use? and what method thanks

Hi there
Thanks. For the first layer I used water based paint and then acrylic paint (several layers of different colors as you can see by the pics till I got the right combination - red / brown / green / white)
The finished "wet" look was achieved with thick varnish
Thanks for your interess and comments

Hi there
Thanks. For the first layer I used water based paint and then acrylic paint (several layers of different colors as you can see by the pics till I got the right combination - red / brown / green / white)
The finished "wet" look was achieved with thick varnish
Thanks for your interess and comments

Thankyou mate thanks for sharing that's A really authentic looking model

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I've just bought myself a Facehugger after waiting years before buying one {due to circumstances} & i'm looking round for painting guides.I'm more than happy to find yours. Well done,i hope my Facehugger can match your excellent work.

Looks great.

When I was a teenager I made a facehugger out of wire, plastercine, and then covered it with latex, it was posable, but weighed a ton.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back