1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

Is there a recommended list of the 1/350 Shapeways parts that are both orderable not subject to becoming useless because there will be notable changes? Is there a way to get them done in the FUD or UD or at least WSFP rather than the grainy WSF? Particularly non truss parts.

psimon, it's 40" approx in 1/700.

mythshaker, not yet but it would be handy wouldn't it, I could use one myself. Are you sure you meant the 1/350 though? That's my one, twice the size of Dave's and four times the price. :(

If so, I've just received a new batch of parts today so I'll be taking some more off the 'experimental' list soon. I'm afraid FUD and UD are completely impractical for the truss parts but I am doing various non-truss parts in FUD on an experimental basis. It adds *so* much to the already high cost that it isn't feasible for me to do larger pieces, but the heavy weathering of the finish works very well with the texture of the WSF, particularly in this larger scale.

350 it is. 350 is about the smallest I can deal with vision and clumsy fingers wise. I understand the WSF for the trusses but how about WSFP? I'm just not much of a heavy weathering proponent. I'm thinking more for the tanks and other pieces where the graininess becomes more visible and there are "interiors" that would be difficult to smoothen.

And all the solid parts like the tower and the engine and power cylinder parts. Any of those parts your OK fitment wise I don't mind being the guinea pig for UD or FUD (they're not the expensive parts anyway).

OK, it's your wallet. :) Really I'll be chuffed to bits if others do join in the 1/350 fun. :)

Polished? It would definitely break the trusses; parts are placed in a tumbler for the polishing and have to be fairly robust. It might work for some of the tank parts, thing is all of those are hollow - they had to be under the old design rules/pricing formula. At present they are mostly coming up as "not printable" in that material, I've just checked.

However, I've gone in and enabled UD and FUD for a number of parts; the ones the auto validation lists as printable and which I think genuinely have a good chance. The new WSF prices are so bad, FUD is no longer anywhere near as uncompetitive *for low density parts* (which however are less printable in that material, as a rule). And in some cases UD is actually cheaper! (cry) Note though this isn't at all a linear pricing scale; the new algorithm is so complex nobody seems to have a good handle on how it works but as a rule of thumb, more "solid" WSF parts became cheaper while low-density ones are (much) more expensive. Meanwhile, UD and FUD continue at the same high prices as always. So things like the tower - that was one of THREE parts which actually got cheaper in WSF, but will remain pricey in FUD!

This is taking a while - I'll post a list when I have this all done. Ugh, on some older parts I've already found a bunch of instances of Shapeways auto-enabling unsuitable materials when they brought them on-line. That is a VERY bad habit of theirs, I'll have to check everything and disable things like 'sandstone' and 'ceramics'. Blahhh!

Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

OK, I think I've captured the list of available parts which SW says will work with more than one material; here it is. One caveat, I'm pretty sure some of these materials *won't* work, e.g. SW has listed some of the quite big bow truss structures as OK for FUD and UD, for example. So what the heck, I've enabled them, but I'm deeply sceptical! Most others flatly won't print in those materials. Also, they're listing some items as OK for polished WSF. I've enabled those too but it's next to impossible to see how it could work for some of them. Use your best judgement, but SW will usually let you know in advance if it isn't doable.

Wait - deleted the list. This is all getting too "seller-ey" and I'll get a rap from the mods. I'll PM you.

- - - Updated - - -

I should note this isn't a sales thread and I'm not actually making any sales myself, nor is Dave. We are customers of Shapeways same as any other buyer - there's no markup on our parts.

Whoha!

Thanks for all the work. It sure looks longer in list form than on the Shapeways pages.

So where I'm looking to start are the [command and observatory] towers. They're [relatively] small and have a lot of the detail.

Are you OK with any/all of those for either/both fitment wise?

I ordered some tower components, in FUD. We'll see what Shapeways has to say, may get back one of those WTF we can't do that memos.

OK, the dome descriptions don't make sense. The description of transparent plastic is that it is translucent. So will the interiors be visible or not?

Yeah, should be OK. The upper stage of the tower is currently down because apparently the upload was corrupt (it was fine at my end, but they sent me an image showing missing components - gahhh, Shapeways!!). I also need to rework the inside 'cage' for the bridge; at the moment only the bridge floor with Reinhardt prints OK while the 'walls', with the big screens and crew and Maximilian doesn't. I'm also not happy with the 'spire' as it is too floppy in WSF - but it does print okay and you can just cut the details off the upright piece and replace it with a brass rod. The main antennae print well in WSF but I haven't tried them in anything else yet. The base and the tower itself print fine in WSF, will be interesting to see how FUD goes.

Meh, so-called "transparent detail" is really just translucent. I wanted the domes to be a little cloudy, since they are on the original and the main aim is to diffuse light similarly. But I would like the interior to be at least a *little* visible! Expect to have to sand and clear-coat the domes to achieve that. As shipped they look at least as cloudy as the original did, if not more.

Last edited:
Latest bits - the upper Observatory base, and the lower deck and 'core' sections for the stern:

20141107_120041.jpg 20141107_120051.jpg 20141107_120035.jpg 20141107_120122.jpg

20141107_120104.jpg 20141107_120130.jpg 20141107_120149.jpg 20141107_120137.jpg

Oh, mythshaker, I see SW has knocked back the antennae in BSF. Apparently it has a polishing step or some extra bit of handling which they won't stand up to; unfortunately the only way to fix that would be to make them thicker which would be self-defeating. Try them in WSF instead, they're really not bad - see pics earlier in the thread.

The current status of the upper tower part is 'manual check', as I say this was rejected recently in WSF for spurious reasons. If they reject it in FUD too I'll upload a new version.

Palomino guys - expecting my test order late this month.

- - - Updated - - -

PS so far so good, only one piece still in processing, the others apparently have printed OK. :)

Latest pieces are really great!!!

If they actually print any of those I ordered other than the piece you tested I'm gonna be impressed. I figure I can go down the detail chain until it works. I tried to find out how to put that as a comment in the order but... oh well. If they had that option I would have told them the WSF was fine if the black wasn't.

How are you planning on doing the lower observatory? I started to order a 2nd drum but then I figured it may be different from the top one.

I'm gonna be interested in how all the stern sections fit together. It's not obvious to me.

If you work it out, let me know! :D Ah, it's pretty straightforward, I haven't tried to be fancy - there just wasn't time before the deadline. Basically just butt joints and instant glue. I nearly drove myself mad trying to make parts for one bit line up with parts for another bit, but they just don't; Disney didn't design it that way. So for example, the stern engine mounts simply glue to the underside of the rear upper deck, and the girders of each bit line up with each other not even slightly. That's just how it is.

BTW, all the coloured Strong and Flexible plastics are just regular WSF dipped in dye. It's the handling stages which affect printability. The stuff paints well anyway, so it won't make a lot of difference IMO.

Yeah - I wish they had that kind of fallback option too. Would save a lot of faffing about.

- - - Updated - - -

Whoops PS, yes at the moment I only have one Observatory part, same top and bottom.

BTW, all the coloured Strong and Flexible plastics are just regular WSF dipped in dye. It's the handling stages which affect printability. The stuff paints well anyway, so it won't make a lot of difference IMO.

The site says they use both white and black plactic for their strong flexible builds so I am a bit confused. Are you saying the black is dipped as well as the colored 3D prints? I have asked SW this question a few days back but have not received an answer.

The site says they use both white and black plactic for their strong flexible builds so I am a bit confused. Are you saying the black is dipped as well as the colored 3D prints? I have asked SW this question a few days back but have not received an answer.

I thought it was just a black plastic, but... I guess not.

Did you get confirmation that the black is dipped and not actually black plastic?

Nope. All I know is it prints in WSF but Shapeways says it is not printable in BSF. Nwerke may have gotten additional feedback.

Still have not received a raspberry from Shapeways on any of the other 6 pieces I ordered in FUD for 48 hours so...

Check your orders page, that gives you a progress meter. It'll take two or three weeks with how far behind they are. Yeah far as I know everything coloured is dyed, which is why the coloured options have extra handling and an additional verification step for files; lots of things that are printable in WSF are not printable in BSF. But who knows, don't quote me or anything, magic elves might do it all for all I know!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back