1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

I've found a decent place for laser cutting close to home... So I may build that "base" up and buy a part or two at a time.

Before I build that though I have to sort out lighting I'm sure as heck not cracking it open once its built ;)

Jedi Dade

I was going to solder together 3mm LEDs for lighting, but I found a store on eBay that sells surface mount tape LEDs in lengths of 3, 6, or more. I bought a few in different lengths and I'm going to see how it works. They also sell individual surface mount LEDs with leads soldered on, which will be good for lighting various areas of the framework outside the light boxes. I will post pictures as I go.

Hi Guys, You make my dream come true. Big big fan of the ship and the movie itself.
Dear Primitivedave or Martyn I would like to know: Where can I get those 3D meshes?
(I have made the meshes available for download so you can try printing elsewhere.)
I think I can find places for printing at a lesser price. Let me know how much money you put into it, so it could help me. You can PM me if you prefer.
Please continue the great craft your doing, it's amazing :)
JF

Hi Guys, You make my dream come true. Big big fan of the ship and the movie itself.
Dear Primitivedave or Martyn I would like to know: Where can I get those 3D meshes?
(I have made the meshes available for download so you can try printing elsewhere.)
I think I can find places for printing at a lesser price. Let me know how much money you put into it, so it could help me. You can PM me if you prefer.
Please continue the great craft your doing, it's amazing :)
JF

mmmmmmmm..... I wonder what a 3D mesh that's taken a couple thousand hours of computer modeling over several years too do, would cost???
I'm thinking $,$$$,$$$.$$.

FACEPALM!!!
Clint

Dear Darth Ronnow
Do you think craftmanship is worth the hours you put in? really think about it. I myself did computer garphics 3d and 2d animation and modelling.
I do myself my own design in papercraft and plastic and build kits from great artists. I know photoshop and 3d computer software and my tools for maquettes or skulpt.
If you were to rebuild an old collector car, a real car you can drive, do you think your gonna sell it the price for all the hours and effort you put in ?
Just ask someone inside the auction buisness in a car show, I'll bet you Frack he will say no.
Even the guys here knows it.
JF

I will sell a model for thousands... and if I break it down, I pay myself less than minimum wage. You can't look at it that way, lol!

I've re-built cars and helped friends re-build theirs.
I've built plenty of models,both for me and friends.
I've never charged or thought of charging.
Its a hobby,not a business.
Lets keep it that way.
Stay cool people.

Hi JFPB -- I'm making the meshes available for download through my Shapeways store. If you can't access them that way, I'll be happy to find some other way to share. I'm doing this project for my own edification. I have no intention of making money off of it. I'm happy other people want to try and build along -- that's really exciting to me! The cool thing about doing it this way is that it can be totally open-source. Use whatever I've done, or make your own parts if you prefer. I will be glad to discuss any aspect of the build. Just let me know. :)

Yuumi2891103 -- thanks!

Oh BTW, the latest iteration of the Bow parts are supposed to arrive next week. I'm hoping they finally got them right -- fingers crossed everyone!

Last edited:
Hello,
Is it true that Martyn was attacked by a Drop Bear? ,,,,, or was it, he was molested by some big spider?
And thats why there haven't been any up dates in regards to the 1/350th scale BH Cygnus? Just wondering?
I'd really hate to start spreading the wrong rumor. Nudge, nudge....... BUMP.:D
Thanks,
Clint

Ever since I came across this excellent site and started to follow the Cygnus build, I have been putting aside my spare change so the day the Cygnus parts become available I can build the model...I have seen now that many are available and I wonder if it is ok to start getting them from Shapeways? I mean, are the issues you had with them worked out? I would love to start getting them a couple at a time and compare the progress and challenges with others modelers here. Please advise...

Yes if you want to make money at this you're in the wrong place... almost NOBODY can afford to pay the time it takes to research and build any movie model that is remotely close to accurate... there just aren't that many million/billionaires that are that interested in our hobby. Most do this as a labor of love, and some are willing to share the wealth and take a greater satisfaction (than money) in the joy it spreads... an maybe make a couple of buck for beer money. Its one of the reasons I enjoy this hobby so much... Expensive as it is almost everything you buy is a tremendous bargain - because the people here are doing it for the challenge and Love of the hobby. I wish I knew how to 3d model... sadly I don't. Or I'd be popping stuff out too :)... for far les than minimum wage I'm sure :D

Jedi Dade

Thanks for making your awesome model available for download!! I have to say though, that unfortunately, a few of the files on shapeways seem to have empty archives. They download as zip.zip files and the directories inside are either corrupt or empty. Most of them are fine, but a few can't be extracted. Any chance you could re-upload them? If you get time.
Can't wait to see the rest of them, your model is superb.

Cheers

Michael

Hello,
Is it true that Martyn was attacked by a Drop Bear? ,,,,, or was it, he was molested by some big spider?
And thats why there haven't been any up dates in regards to the 1/350th scale BH Cygnus? Just wondering?
I'd really hate to start spreading the wrong rumor. Nudge, nudge....... BUMP.:D
Thanks,
Clint
yeah,come on martyn.no way a drop bear is gonna stop you on this project:lol

PrimitiveDave,Thanks Very much I'm glad also everybody thinks it is a labor of love, and of course I can understand some for making a living out of it.
Like said, mktodd said earlier that there are corrupted or missing files,
I'd say maybe you should check that out.
For the moment I am trying to find your store, or do you have another way to share? Maybe a sharing site, what do you think?
JF

Frankpr01 (and everyone else): All the parts available on my Shapeways store should work now. Some of the earlier parts I made haven't been ordered for some time, so I can't guarantee they won't be rejected upon reorder. If that happens, I will resolve the issue as quickly as I can. And ask for your patience. I will make the rest of the parts available as soon as I can.

Michael and JF -- I think the files that are empty zips were earlier parts when I was still uploading as OBJ files. After a number of issues with that format, I switched to STL. At some point I will have to go back to my model files and re-export them as STL for you. I've never used a sharing site. If anyone has any suggestions or helpful hints, please let me know. You can PM me or contact me through my Shapeways store, so as not to clog up this thread.

And yeah, where is Martyn? I hope everything is okay!

Last edited:
The parts I've been struggling with for the last couple of months arrived today and are perfect! I will make them available on my store very soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 362
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    987.7 KB · Views: 331
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 305

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back