1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

Another one of my favourite sci-fi subjects. This looks to be an excercise in awesomeness of extreme magnitude. I have the old MPC kit in my stock and I know it will be a pain to build as it is so lacking in detail and missing an entire module. Looking forward to seeing how this build turns out.

Well, I've finally bit the bullet and started soldering. I hope to have the stern section wired, painted and assembled in the not too distant future. I'll post some pics when I make some more progress.

Jeff -- I've been holding off until I'm sure I don't want to/won't have to modify pieces any further. It's difficult to know how changes to one piece will affect changes to other pieces until they're all done and fit together. I know it's taken me a long time -- this was definitely more complex than I even imagined at the beginning. That said, I can probably release most of the central section and stern pieces now. I will look them over and add the ones I'm sure about to my store soon.

Wasili, thanks man!

Dave, can't wait to see your build lit. Wow, good times.

Re parts, I'm in the same boat as you. I've pretty much decided on finishing :)lol) all my CD modelling before I order more parts. So I won't have anything much in the pipeline for a while after all but at least I should be able to prevent some of the expensive re-dos resulting from my usual idiocy. No more "OH BUGGER, I forgot a pipe has to go through that! ARRRGH!!!". :lol

I have most of the center section nutted out now. Next up the rest of the transport tubes, fettling the last bits of the fuel system and on to the stern...

Attachments

• V4 new machine 0049.jpg
    V4 new machine 0049.jpg
    851.7 KB · Views: 306
  • V4 new machine 0048.jpg
    V4 new machine 0048.jpg
    809.8 KB · Views: 256
Getting there...

V4 new machine 0054.jpg V4 new machine 0053.jpg V4 new machine 0052.jpg V4 0055.jpg

Stern is mostly from my unfinished third iteration build (error with scale of the struts; too fine to be printed) so just a stand-in, I still have to rebuild it. Wanted to see how it looked and whether I could render the lot in one go. So that's a yes! <smug>

Last edited:
Duuuuuuuuddddeeeee, that is too cool !!!!

Btw, you're doing this in Rhino, right ? Are you using Flamingo, a plugin or the basic renderengine ?

Toppie. :cheers :thumbsup

Cheers,
Wasili

Cheers Wasili. Yup, NURBS for the win, eh? I'm using the basic render engine, no plugins or textures or dirt effects, just a lot of geometry and lights. I do like making pretty pictures, but they are a means to an end...I'm not bright enough to spot all the collisions without a steady stream of renders to point out where I am going wrong, lol.

DOH just asked on your thread lol. Coooool beans, been champing at the bit for those!

Oh and get a dog. :p

Attachments

• V4 NM0057.jpg
    V4 NM0057.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 301
  • V4 NM0056.jpg
    V4 NM0056.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 333
Last edited:
Great work as usual, Nwerke. (Oh yeah, I received the seven test messages in PM, replied with email address ...will communicate thru MPC Cygnus thread if need to). Got to get the printer going.

Is there a way to print the antenna in a type of foam rubber, or some other flexible substance so as to keep the antennas from snapping off (cats and kids being what they are.

Something that you may want to consider. You might want to fabricate a new hub piece. The forward section of the Cygnus might make for great arms of an asterisk shaped space station--with a new octagonal latticed hub with larger towers up top, and a space elevator underneath.

Having engines positioned vertically with the tether supporting a smooth warp ringship directly above a black hole might be something you would want to submit to Disney for their remake.

Dear god, can't believe it's been nearly a year. I'm still plugging away at my Cygnus too. Hoping to have parts some time in the next six months or so. :lol :cry

Dave and I have been chatting behind the scenes on this stuff as usual. He's been doing some fantastic work - as you see!

Thanks Jedi Dade -- I just meant I felt I had seriously neglected this project because of the long delay. I feel good about how it's coming out and I'm really happy with the results so far.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back