Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    St.Louis Area
    Sep 8, 2008, 6:40 PM - 1/6th scale TARDIS and Who figures #1

I've always wanted my own TARDIS. Growing up watching Doctor Who, it was a given that having one would just be awesome but after searching and searching, I learned that finding a decent sized one was frustrating at best and even the small ones are not cheap (unless you make the cardboard one from the instructions in the old technical manual..).
    I was planning on making myself a 1/6th Dalek, still am, but I wanted to plan out a TARDIS while I was at it.

While my wife and I were at Michaels pricing the stuff I'd need to build it, she reminded me that this paycheck was a bit fatter than usual, so I went for it.

1/6th Scale Tardis - YouTube
    thats where I am right at this moment.. Cost me about $60.00 in materials, I THINK that I have enough to finish lol :P
    I'm hoping to finish it up before the end of the week.
    Last edited by d_jedi1; Jan 9, 2012 at 5:22 PM.
    Sep 8, 2008, 7:02 PM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #2

That looks great. I'm a big fan of that show, though about five regenerations.LOL
    -JohnLogan
    From
    St.Louis Area
    Sep 8, 2008, 7:13 PM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #3

lol Not a fan of Colin Baker are we?
    I'm not either, I've heard stories that he wanted to play the Doctor differently but wasn't allowed.. I don't know but I do know I hated his Doctor.
    The two newest guys arent bad either.
    Sep 9, 2008, 2:36 PM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #4

The story is, but I can't vouch for it's accuracy, that Colin wanted to dress like Victorian undertaker, and be weighed down with the guilt and woes of 900-odd years of fighting evil and not always winning...

Which sounds a LOT better than the loud-mouth he wound up playing!

5. Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Sep 9, 2008, 5:27 PM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #5

the DOCTOR said: View Post
    The story is, but I can't vouch for it's accuracy, that Colin wanted to dress like Victorian undertaker, and be weighed down with the guilt and woes of 900-odd years of fighting evil and not always winning...

Which sounds a LOT better than the loud-mouth he wound up playing!

Damn, that would have been cool.

I didn't hate Colin. He wasn't my Favorite. It's a tossup between Tom baker and Peter davison.
    From
    St.Louis Area
    Sep 9, 2008, 6:47 PM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #6

Would have been interesting to see the Doctor like that.. I think I would have liked him as the Doctor had that been the case. I didn't totally hate his Doctor, he did have some good episodes but he always seemed too smug.
    I made some progress on the TARDIS today...

I added the step-up on the top after I took these. Probably won't do any more tonight but I'll try to do some tomorrow after work.
    From
    St.Louis Area
    Sep 15, 2008, 8:34 AM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #7

A quick update...
    I managed to make some progress this weekend, though not as much as I'd hoped.

here is a quick youtube video showing off my progress
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iVZAfrpzeg
    From
    FL
    Sep 15, 2008, 8:34 PM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #8

That looks great! Looking forward to more pictures
    Sep 16, 2008, 4:22 AM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #9

Looking good.
    From
    St.Louis Area
    Sep 17, 2008, 1:19 AM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #10

Thanks, I got some more work done and took some pics.
    I added two of the Sign Boxes today, probably do the others tomorrow or the next day.

I'm thinking about making "little Annie" an empty child >
    From
    St.Louis Area
    Sep 23, 2008, 12:53 AM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #11

I made some MINOR progress this weekend... my mother-in-law went into the hospital with chest pains and VERY high blood pressure. Like twice the normal level.
    I DID however get my Doctor figure in the mail today so at least something good happened.

I don't know how much progress I'll make in the next few days but I'll try to get some work done whenever I can.
    From
    St.Louis Area
    Sep 29, 2008, 1:26 AM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #12

I did more work to the body and got the lights added... no sound and the light at the top is constant instead of flashing, but they work (after much fiddling with it this evening.. I had them working then hooked in the power and bang.. nothing, I had to re-work EVERY connection but it's working now :P).

I took a video that I uploaded to youtube, it may not be fully processed just yet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0iLeVBpJC4
    Last edited by d_jedi1; Sep 29, 2008 at 1:51 AM.
    From
    St.Louis Area
    Sep 30, 2008, 10:30 PM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #13

I managed to get some more work done today.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dirk9REmJTA
    I added the pitch to the roof last night and the top lamp today.

and here is how I power the thing... nothing glorious but it works.
    From
    St.Louis Area
    Oct 13, 2008, 12:37 AM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #14

I got the sign boxes and floor provided by Jiminydog from the sideshow collectors site printed up today and added them to my box.
    The signs came out a little big but thats MY fault.

oh yeah, I've built a K9. He's not 100% accurate.. probably not 65% accurate but he works for now.

Here is a shot of the floor

The Doctor prepares to go back to where I display him...

Here is a walk around youtube video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXLgPB46PrQ
    Me
    Last edited by d_jedi1; Oct 13, 2008 at 12:56 AM.
    From
    St.Louis Area
    Oct 22, 2008, 2:00 AM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #15

I still need to print up the faux-interior but I have started adding the windowframes to my box.

I still need to add the rear ones, that should be done tomorrow evening.
    From
    Westmont
    Oct 23, 2008, 12:30 AM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #16

Great job, I even like your K9 I've got a few Tardis' in my collection, but none built by me. Maybe someday I'll take up the challange.
    From
    St.Louis Area
    Oct 27, 2008, 11:10 PM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #17

I found this build rewarding.. I learned quite a bit while building my TARDIS. There are a few things I'd do differently but not many.
    So... I got a package in the mail today.

Says "Royal Mail"... Even my Tennant Doctor wonders what it is.

The TARDIS Doors swing open and he finds out.

So, yeah.. I bought myself the Walkie-talkies and as I type this the Doctor's head has been mounted on a new body but I need to re-paint it and make his outfit.

Oh.. I'm re-working my Hasbro episode 3 Anakin and had a leftover right hand soo.... I made a Doctor Detector.

From
    St.Louis Area
    Nov 10, 2008, 4:18 AM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #18

I finished the outfit for my 9th doctor figure, I just went ahead and MADE the Jacket now he needs a good repaint.

From
    St.Louis Area
    May 31, 2009, 3:41 AM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #19

I FINALLY got an interior done up.
    Unfortunately, it printed a little too small but I'll fix that tomorrow or Monday.
    From
    St.Louis Area
    May 31, 2009, 10:47 PM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #20

I got my new interior today

Guess what I'm working on next?
    From
    St.Louis Area
    Oct 21, 2009, 12:40 AM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #21

It's been a while but I've added some things to my collection and made progress on others.
    Here are some of the things I've added since then

He will be my #8

#4 doesn't really look like Tom Baker much but I'm trying to nail down the clothes first

I bought a clockwork man and re-painted the mask although the cracks are WAY out of scale...

and Since the Krylon flat had never set up on my Eccleston, he got stripped and re-painted too

I've started on a Dalek but haven't made much progress yet
  22. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Oct 21, 2009, 8:31 AM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #22

You are doing some 'wicked' stuff there! My g/f has been drawn into a group of doll collectors. Well, collectors and doll COSTUMERS. She needs to see this stuff since she's also a Who fan. The TARDIS looks cool too, but your figures and costumes are spectacular. OH, I know SEVERAL people who would love to discuss your work with you.

St. Louis? If you ever swing through those parts again, let me know.

Do you buy these 12" figures already as WHO characters? The Tenant and Eccleston face sculpts look fairly close. What about the costumes?
    From
    St.Louis Area
    Oct 21, 2009, 12:24 PM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #23

roguepink said: View Post
    You are doing some 'wicked' stuff there! My g/f has been drawn into a group of doll collectors. Well, collectors and doll COSTUMERS. She needs to see this stuff since she's also a Who fan. The TARDIS looks cool too, but your figures and costumes are spectacular. OH, I know SEVERAL people who would love to discuss your work with you.

St. Louis? If you ever swing through those parts again, let me know.

Do you buy these 12" figures already as WHO characters? The Tenant and Eccleston face sculpts look fairly close. What about the costumes?
    right lets see... I'm planning to move back to St.Louis either late 2010 or early 2011 but I'll be visiting before then
    As for the figures.. the David Tennant and Chris Eccleston sculpts come from existing Doctor Who toys. They made a Tennant in the suit with his sonic and everything but he was difficult to find by the time I got into it so I got the Doctor in Spacesuit figure and swapped his head onto another body.
    I picked up a suit for him and grabbed (in the most recent update) some shoes from a Barbie "Ken" clothing set that looked close enough.
    Here is a link to amazon UK with many of their 1:6th figures.. the daleks are not true 1:6th as they are a full 12" tall http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss?...o+12&x=19&y=14 I don't know if you can import them through that but it might give you an idea what to search for.
    I bought the Tennant Doctor, Cyberman, and Clockwork man from http://www.whona.com/
    The Eccleston head is from a walkie-talkie, I bought him on ebay from the UK.. it was a set of the Doctor and Slitheen so when you get them, it's kind of a two-fer
    Costumes are another story. The Tennant Costume is a suit set I bought on ebay, Eccleston's gear (minus shoes) is all hand made by me. Baker's Pants come from the sideshow figure "The Chief" from "Get Smart" his shirt from a Donald Trump figure, and his Jacket is a dyed version of the Jacket that came with the Sideshow Roger Moore from The Man With the Golden Gun figure. His shoes are from Hasbro Indiana Jones.

#8's pants are from the Roger Moore figure again (as is his body, shirt, and shoes) the vest came with the set for Tennant and the Jacket from a snoop dogg figure. It WAS yellow and black but has been dyed.
    I intend to make more accurate clothes for #8 based upon the sideshow Nosferatu's coat.
    Last edited by d_jedi1; Oct 21, 2009 at 11:53 PM. Reason: the keys on the work keyboard stick... badly
  24. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Oct 21, 2009, 10:01 PM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #24

Oh I do have people for you to meet! Mua-ha-ha-ha-ha...
    From
    St.Louis Area
    Oct 29, 2009, 1:14 AM - Re: 1/6th scale TARDIS under construction.. #25

Looking forward to it
    I made a new Scarf for my Baker figure.

The pattern is loosely based on this image