1/6 Kaiyodo/Screamin' Boba Fett

Callista

Here are some of the progress pics I have taken of the Boba Fett model I am working on.

I appreciate the help and pointers everyone here has given me.

I will try to update this thread as I progress with this build. Please be patient with me as vinyl is not one of my strong points yet.

19503-its-boba-da-fett.jpg

Here are all the pieces including the decals that came with this model kit. It had some work done to it b4 I got it but no biggie.

19653-rifle-right-rifle-after-scope-broke-off.jpg

Here are photos of his rifle before and after the scope broke off of it. No problem through as I can get to the seams better now. Also shows that I need to do some planning on how to attach his rifle to his hand because atm it is a very awkward looking fit with the way it was modeled.

19652-boba-fett-pieces.jpg

Here are the pieces after having the flash trimmed off of them.

19654-jetpack.jpg

So far I have removed the flash, and sanded and puttied his jet pack since it had quite a few bubbles in it. I won't be doing any more putting till I have primered and see if it needs in fact more putty.

19655-chest-piece-bottom-half-not-good-fit.jpg

His bottom half has been filled with plaster. I am not happy with how his torso and waist fit together through. I have test fitted it once and besides being harder than hell even after heating the pieces up to fit, it was very awkward looking and had a big gap on one side. Will be figuring out what the best way is to tackle that so he doesn't look dumb when I do finally build him.

The handle on the vinyl trigger hand is a place holder for the resin blaster. It has to be carefully cut out so you can open his hand and it wil grip it snugly.

I had this kit until about a year ago. Seems it was issued under a few other brands, mine was by Elfin & featured white metal backpack parts as well as the blaster. I think mine was probably a bootleg, even though I paid a good price for it at the time.
Parts layout is exactly the same.

Your build is looking good, these vinyl kits can be a bit tricky.
Stu

Only issued through Kaiyodo/Screamin' - anything else is a recast.

I have this kit. Very easy to trim and fit together. I had no issues with the fit of the torso to the legs. You could trim the excess on the legs a little more. It should only work as a little lip going inside the torso to ease gluing them together. There's no large gaps on mine - just remember the torso is a bit rotated, not straight on.

If you're wanting to continue vinyl figure modeling, you picked a great one to start with-- at least as far as painting. This one has no flesh tones, and for me those are the most difficult to replicate realistically. I never can get the shading quite right. I'm looking forward to your progress!

Here are some of the progress pics I have taken of the Boba Fett model I am working on.

I appreciate the help and pointers everyone here has given me.

I will try to update this thread as I progress with this build. Please be patient with me as vinyl is not one of my strong points yet.

19503-its-boba-da-fett.jpg

Here are all the pieces including the decals that came with this model kit. It had some work done to it b4 I got it but no biggie.

19653-rifle-right-rifle-after-scope-broke-off.jpg

Here are photos of his rifle before and after the scope broke off of it. No problem through as I can get to the seams better now. Also shows that I need to do some planning on how to attach his rifle to his hand because atm it is a very awkward looking fit with the way it was modeled.

19652-boba-fett-pieces.jpg

Here are the pieces after having the flash trimmed off of them.

19654-jetpack.jpg

So far I have removed the flash, and sanded and puttied his jet pack since it had quite a few bubbles in it. I won't be doing any more putting till I have primered and see if it needs in fact more putty.

19655-chest-piece-bottom-half-not-good-fit.jpg

His bottom half has been filled with plaster. I am not happy with how his torso and waist fit together through. I have test fitted it once and besides being harder than hell even after heating the pieces up to fit, it was very awkward looking and had a big gap on one side. Will be figuring out what the best way is to tackle that so he doesn't look dumb when I do finally build him.

If I may, I have a suggestion: Devcon makes a two-part adhesive called Plastic Welder that I have found works on vinyl as well. The only drawback is that it heats up when it cures, but if you're careful with it you could use that to not only attach parts, but to fill voids as well. In using it on vinyl, i found a wet paper towel can cool the vinyl so it will not distort.

As for heating it: I found some of the older vinyl kits can get brittle after a time, and heating will only help so much. How are you heating this: heat gun or hot water?

Been using my hair dyer to heat up my model when I work on it.

Okay; I used to do that as well on my vinyl models, but the heat would never last very long. You might want to try hot water: to do that, just boil a fair-sized pot of water and let it cool a little before using it. Dip the parts for about 2 -5 seconds ( recommend you try some scrap vinyl from the model to test this) then try to shape it. I think this technique works better.

If that gun is giving you trouble, you may want to try a couple creative options.

A couple toys may have guns that work. Aren't the 12" action figures 1:6 scale? That gun may work.

But there is another (don't laugh): Spuda Fett - the Boba Fett Potato Head toy - has a gun that is better shaped than the kit gun, and about the right size, I think. its 5.5" long.

Pics later...

Anyone have a good suggestion for what to use for filling the torso so I can pin his arms on?

I want to fill his torso with something light so hes not top heavy but strong enough that I can pin his arms too.

I registered just to answer your question. I have built dozens of vinyl figures, most of which are Screamin figs.

Fill the legs with plaster or like material, put heavy wire (like coat hanger wire) down the centers while the plaster is still wet. Fill the head, body, arms, and pack with balls of newspaper. Its light and will help with filling out any warped parts. Also keeps the vinyl from reacting to changes in temp once its finished and on display.

Alternatively you can use foam insulation. Get the white kind, not the yellow. Spray a little at a time, it expands a great deal and will go a long way.

Painting....

I paint in enamel on all my kits. Yes, you can paint with Testors enamel on vinyl. All you have to do is wash all the parts in warm lightly soapy water to remove any mold release, when dry prime the parts with automotive primer, krylon primer, or rust-oleum primer. This will allow the enamel paint to adhere and dry properly (enamel will not dry on raw vinyl, stays sticky).

Also, avoid filling vinyl with resin, as I have heard it will slowly eat at the vinyl and break it down. A few years ago, I built a Halcyon Nostromo and the parts were warped in places. I had to shore it up from the inside with "planks" of thick styrene wedged into place to make some of the concave surfaces closer to the 90º/flat area they needed to be - it's still "true" to this day.

So do you work on that tray table or do you have a model making area?

I'm pretty sure it's not a guaranteed way of wrecking your model, but if there's some magic combo of resin and vinyl that chemically dukes it out to the bitter sticky end, I don't want to roll that dice, especially when Hydrocal is so cheap!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back