I finally found some time to do some work to my 1/24 B-Wing kit. Overall it´s a nice kit but I like to do modify every kit to make it a bit more special (maybe just to compensate for my painting skills... ).
So far I modified:
cockpit: I added some useless bits and removed two ugly chunks of resin in the rear of the tub, for some reason it looks as if someone stuck a huge bit of putty in both rear corners so I removed them and covered the sides and rearwall with styrene sheet to cover the seam
I replaced the detail piece on the main gun pod as it is too big and should not sit in the middle (actually the proportions of the part I scratched are off, but this is because the whole gun pod should be wider as ref pics show so I had to make it fit)
I enlarged the open slot in the rear of the main wing as it is not symmetrical, one side is much deeper and I also cut deep into the wing to create a nice undercut. The detail piece supplied with the kit is useless now so I´ll have to do my own thing there.
I modified the intake by adding a 4mm styrene strip to make the protruding edge, then I cut the middle intake panel and added 4mm to the rear to make the panel stand out, and I cut two rectangles into the center plate as these openings are visible on the studio model.
engines: I sanded the back off each engine detail piece until I could see through it, as I´d like to add lighting although I have no clue how. The engine "cones" will be drilled out to either add some depth or make room for the bulbs.
Further I have plans to replace the two boxes with the grills on top which sit in the rear of each engine housing half, as they´re a bit off in size and detail. Maybe I´ll also replace the panel in front of it where the studio model seems to have mouting points. One of the panels is slightly open which I want to replicate, and the "air outlet" which sits on top should be shorter and have an opening in the back.
Unfortunately the gun arrangement of the main gun pod is wrong but I don´t think I´ll redo that.
And on the main wing all panel lines will have to be rescribed, some even filled as they´re in the wrong position.
Don´t expect any more updates too soon as I should now start learning for a machanics of materials exam. Maybe in summer I´ll have time to continue working on this...