1/12 scale TOS BSG viper, 31 inches long...

mslz22

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey everyone, this has been in the works for a while but i don't think i ever started a thread over here.....anyway..

A big thanks goes to Mike R (greeblie gremlin) again on this one, one day Mike and i were talking on the phone about how in the later star wars movies some of the models like the x wing and AT AT had what was pretty much "double" original SS counterparts and that since we had the files for the intakes, afterburners, canopy triangle, afterburner plates, and turbo fan from the 1/24 SS kit, that with a little adjustment we could have the parts grown in 1/12....kind of daydreaming that if there had been a REAL season 2 that Apogee may have gotten around to building a bigger viper...well daydreaming gave way to a project!

Mike put some additional work in so i could have grown not only the parts mentioned above but also the "core" that holds the 3 engines, the 3 cones that get all the heavy greeblie parts, oval greeblies, cannon greeblies, and disk plate, Mike also grewthe 1/12 pilot head. I sculpted the fuselage and everything else by hand, including a 1/12 scale pilot. Some liberties are being taken with the detailing, mostly adding small details to give the proper sense of scale to the larger model.

The interior is modeled after the full size mock up with some compromises to get it to fit in to a scaled model. The forward panels of the interior are cast in clear for lighting, as well as the pilots helmet, and afterburner plates.

Pics in this post are of the nearly completed "test" build....I still need to tweak a few things including securing the canopy frame and straightening out the cannons, as well as finalizing the lighting.

I will post a few follow up pics of the development if people are interested. The last pic is next to it's 15 1/2 inch 1/24 counterpart...

Mike S.

LOL....the comparison between yours and 15,5 makes that last one so.....little :lol

Have you got an estimation of the final price of your big model ??? Just wondering.....

Here is some pics of it in various states of development, I had the test kit up for WF 09, i don't know why i did not start a thread here earlier. PM me if you are interested in this, the 15 1/2 kit is mine as well, that is SS.....

Here are the pics, it's come a long way from the start...and gone thru a bunch of revisions before it was finally molded up and cast in the final version you see above...

Just ordered one of these bad boys from Mike. Just went through Mike's pics of his test build and damn dude. This kit cannot get here soon enough. Definitely one of the coolest things to grace this site in a long time.

Last edited:
Spectacular!

Could someone explain to me what it means when parts are "grown"? I've seen the reference for years but somehow the context has always escaped me.

I've been under the impression (probably mistakenly) that it refers to the 3-d printing process, using computer renderings to print off parts, since they are essentially "grown" by stacking micro-layers of whatever material the print system uses to create a three dimensional representation.

Also stereolithography - you have a bath of liquid resin with two computer-driven moving lasers beamed into it at right angles. Where they meet, the resin solidifies. You change the level of the liquid resin by a fraction of an inch and do it again. Repeat ad nauseum, solid model results.

Both techniques leave visible "raster lines" around the model, but they're getting smoother and smoother.

I got this kit yesterday from Mike and all I can say is if you are a BSG fan and want probably the biggest showstopping Viper for your collection, get this 1/12 scale kit. The kit is for all intensive purposes, bubble free, has very little flash, and any build up of resin (pour areas, etc) can be knocked out with a dremel in no time. Use a dremel and some sand paper and a bit of putty here and there and you could clean this kit up in an evening of work. I've just got to figure out how to light this thing which shouldn't be a problem. I'm going to use Krylon satin pewter gray as a base coat and Testors' International orange for the striping. Probably going to go Mike's route on the weathering and not do too much but I don't want a clean Viper either. This is a great kit guys. Damn great!

Folks have always been impressed with our kits.

However THIS kit impressed the hell out of Moe and I. Its AMAZING. If you are a fan....you MUST have this it.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back