1/12 salzo bsg viper

trooper

Sr Member
ive been working on this off and on for a while. I hope you guys like it.
here is some dry fitting of the parts and generally sizing this kit up....

IMG_1077.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG

more dry fitting, I got the hull tacked together. I waxed up the brass tubes that were cast into the wings, lined them were I wanted them, then made up some dental acrylic and covered the brass tubes with it, once it cured and a few minutes, I pulled the wings off, now the wings can come off and on and will fit back to the exact position every time.

IMG_1253.JPG

next I flat sanded the engine parts, removed the cast resin u channel bits.

IMG_1249.JPG

dry fit the parts back together

IMG_1252.JPG

then glued new u channel back onto the engine cans. this way seamed much easier then cleaning the cast ones up. I also got the guns mounted, and plastic tubes in place...what ever those things are called.
the back engine parts are just dry fitted for now.
holes were drilled for wiring leds for the engines.

IMG_1315.JPG

the engine part with all the tube like detail has oval shaped parts with two holes in them, and sit in groups of 3...whatchacallit's .
a few of these had bubbles and were easyer to remove and replace, so I made a quick mold and cast them up.

IMG_1309.JPG

this comes with clear cast inner engine detail parts, instead of trying to mask off paint the wanted areas opaque, I flat sanded one of the clear pieces until flat bottom was gone leaving only the detail, them molded and cast new ones in black resin.

IMG_1797.JPG

IMG_1311.JPG

next I took clear plastic and sanded it to diffuse the light from the leds.

IMG_1314.JPG

next I made a simple round light box, lined strip leds inside. i didn't get the effect i was looking for.

IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG

so i added blue tape to the center to see what it looked like, i liked the idea of the blue center.... you can see the effect i was going for, it just wasn't strong enough.
so i added a blue led in the center
the effect came out with a very cool effect. i can really get the camera to expose right to show it off right. but basically it looks like individual flames with a blue center, i looks killer in person.
any camera buffs out there that can tell me what i need to do to get this to expose right, please chime in :)

here is a couple shots in different angles and lights on and off in the room trying to pick up the effect.

IMG_1333.JPG

IMG_1332.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

Last edited:
with a little evercoat ( bondo) on the canopy bottom, and some Vaseline on the body, I mirrored the canopy to the body.
I also did some fill in work where the body and engines meat.

IMG_1335.JPG

IMG_1799.JPG

next I need to get to work on the cockpit. Ian Lawrence did an incredible build on this kit - Salzo Big TOS Galactica Viper WIP Page 1
he was kind enough to send me the last copy of his scratch built cock pit panels. and with his permission gave me the right to mold them and offer them to others building this kit. don't get wrong, mike's kit is great! but if your interested in a more accurate cockpit, just let me a pm and I can send you a copy. if you could pay for shipping that would be helpful....no charge for the parts. they will be pressure cast.

Ian's parts are the light grey ones.

IMG_1803.JPG

IMG_1804.JPG

IMG_1805.JPG

IMG_1806.JPG

now with all the other parts glued in place,
IMG_1800.JPG

I need to get the cockpit done so I can seal this baby off

IMG_1801.JPG

Last edited:
I know , this thread is a year old, BUT I HAVE BEEN considering beginning work on this kit next month...I HAD IT SO LONG ....forgot all the pointers and helpful info on this kit...don't even know where to begin....lol

it starts with gluing two pieces together :lol

edited my previous post...so much for spelling from voice command in these phones lol

anything I can help you with just let me know

Last edited:
I never knew it, but I never received engine parts of internals with my kit, just started it and wasn't sure if it comes with those or not , I just sent Mike S. a message on those....did you make them yourself ??? If my kit doesn't come with these parts, then I am not sure , how to possibly make them ????? RRRRRrrrrrrrrr....I had this kit so long , and just now discovering this....Arrrrgggg !!!...Hope Mike or someone might help me with these parts

After looking in my bag....I have no engine parts front or back...or any clear cast pieces...WTH...looking at others sites...I don't have the parts to even work on this....Holy Crap...DAMN

I think the only pieces that were clear are the rear engine details, the cockpit panels and the helmet.
I can help you out with the panels and the engine detail cast in black for better lighting. But you would have to get the other parts from mike. LMK

I think the only pieces that were clear are the rear engine details, the cockpit panels and the helmet.
I can help you out with the panels and the engine detail cast in black for better lighting. But you would have to get the other parts from mike. LMK
The helmet is all I have that's a clear part....damn...didn't know , I was missing all those pieces...RRRrrrrrrr....

Guy i Pm'd you, I will get you the parts you need.

On the latest round of kits i have stopped doing the interior panels in clear, I found that most people did not like them in clear and were using fiber optics instead. The clear panels did have a tendency to have light leaks so FO is the way to go anyway. The only clear parts now are the engines, and those have been split into 2, the disk is clear and the detail is solid. The detail was hard to paint when attached to the clear.

Guy i Pm'd you, I will get you the parts you need.

On the latest round of kits i have stopped doing the interior panels in clear, I found that most people did not like them in clear and were using fiber optics instead. The clear panels did have a tendency to have light leaks so FO is the way to go anyway. The only clear parts now are the engines, and those have been split into 2, the disk is clear and the detail is solid. The detail was hard to paint when attached to the clear.
Mike .....hey No problem just PM'd you back...just let me know , what all you need , if these are upgrades??? then let me know how much, and I will get funds to you

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back