Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Nov 19, 2010, 2:12 PM - TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #1

No, I'm not opening up another debate regarding the color of the TIE fighter - that was an long thread associated with the preview of the eFX TIE at SCDD this past summer (go here for a recap - http://www.therpf.com/f10/efx-tie-fi...ml#post1304457)

This is something different, kinda trivial, but sorta cool. A few years ago, one of the SW model guys mentioned that the initial color of the TIE fighter was a shade of maroon. I thought this was an interesting choice as everything in the movie appears to be a different shade of gray or off white. Technically, it was an interesting choice as well since a maroon model probably wouldn't be as prone to bluespill as a gray model. Ultimately, he said, they jettisoned the idea because after some comp tests, they discovered that the smaller the TIE got on screen, the more it blended into the black starfield. OK, makes sense. But where are the pictures of this thing? Would have been neat to see.

The Rinzler "Making of Star Wars" had a small photo that actually shows some hulls painted up with the maroon paint (page 79) -

Closer -

Well, just this week, I came across some old wedges (short pieces of film that test various exposures or lighting configurations and aren't meant for projection) and lo and behold, some clear shots of the two-tone TIE emerged.

Looks like it was a simple push-in to see what it looks like with motion blur -

What's also interesting is that though the model is using the bottom mount, it's mounted upside down (the little square blocky thing under the cockpit window is actually on top of the hull). Also, there does not appear to be an interior or a rear cover in place - you can see right through the hull.

One thing I like about wedges is that they usually scribe in some info, since they may reference it at a later date. This one has a date of "3/6" (1976).

So there you go - the more we look, the more crazy trivia stuff seems to pop up.

Enjoy,

Gene
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MakingSW-Page79-1.jpg 
Views:	8149 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	38829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MakingSW-Page79-2.jpg 
Views:	9449 
Size:	288.9 KB 
ID:	38830   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SW-2ColorTIE-0001.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	38831  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SW-2ColorTIE-0002.jpg 
Views:	7851 
Size:	315.3 KB 
ID:	38832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SW-2ColorTIE-0003.jpg 
Views:	8020 
Size:	277.0 KB 
ID:	38833   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SW-2ColorTIE-0004.jpg 
Views:	7870 
Size:	275.9 KB 
ID:	38834  

Last edited by GKvfx; Nov 19, 2010 at 5:48 PM. Reason: Basic grammar - geez!
    Nov 19, 2010, 4:20 PM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #2

Pretty neat stuff. Although i have to say i am glad they didn't do with the maroon color.
    From
    Sweden
    Nov 19, 2010, 4:46 PM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #3

Oh had no idea. Thanks for sharing!
    From
    Paris, France
    Nov 19, 2010, 5:22 PM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #4

Thanks for sharing Gene, I like those kind of behing the scene, the maroon looks pink on stage, very funny !
    Nov 19, 2010, 5:44 PM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #5

My mind has been blown. Thanks for posting!
    From
    Australia
    Nov 19, 2010, 9:20 PM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #6

Cool info but I'm glad as well they didn't go for maroon. Doesn't suit the model at all. Where do you find those "wedges" you talk about?
  7. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Nov 19, 2010, 10:52 PM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #7

Bugger. Now I want a TIE. Never did before.
    From
    Greece
    Nov 20, 2010, 12:28 AM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #8

Great stuff, Gene. Thanks.
  9. ralphee is offline ralphee
    Nov 20, 2010, 4:20 AM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #9

Does look pink on the bluescreen, Gene thats a cool piece of research, thanks for sharing.

lee
  10. Six Demon Baggage RPF Premium Member moffeaton's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Nov 20, 2010, 8:48 AM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #10

Gene, your willingness to dig into the bowels of the Earth continue to pay off - thank you for sharing - I LOVE this stuff.
  11. RPF Premium Member
    From
    London, UK
    Nov 20, 2010, 9:18 AM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #11

Well I never knew that. Good find!!!
  12. RPF Premium Member
    From
    NJ
    Nov 20, 2010, 2:54 PM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #12

Having noticed that hull in the book never realized it was something more than a primer coat. Always interested to see the odd ball variations. Could we guess this model was eventually painted entirely stormy sea and that this color could still be hiding beneath one of the Hero TIEs still out there?

How cool would it be to build this TIE... looks like they've got some yellow panels on the ball there near the window.

Gene, many thanks for sharing photos. Everything you share here is invaluable to the projects I'm working on, and I'm certain other's as well. Always interesting to see a part of the process especially what could have been, or wasn't at all.
  13. ralphee is offline ralphee
    Nov 20, 2010, 4:30 PM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #13

OK, just a dumb Q here, but, the red/maroon canopy, and its flanks adorning Red 6 in her paint prep pic, could this be a pattern here, or am i totally off?

lee
    From
    Paris, France
    Nov 20, 2010, 5:25 PM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #14

ralphee said: View Post
    OK, just a dumb Q here, but, the red/maroon canopy, and its flanks adorning Red 6 in her paint prep pic, could this be a pattern here, or am i totally off?

lee
    The color looks very close !
    From
    South Carolina
    Nov 20, 2010, 10:07 PM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #15

cool info!
    From
    Danville KY
    Nov 21, 2010, 6:27 AM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #16

So now the question is who is going to be the first to build a maroon and grey Tie?
  17. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Nov 21, 2010, 6:44 AM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #17

Me! And just maroon, I assume. The half-and-half wasn't the intentional final scheme, just a means to get an in-camera comparison with one take.

And seriously, I'll do it. I don't have a TIE kit but if anyone has one for sale* at a half reasonable price, I'll do it.

* My wife's losing her job next month possibly, and I'm tightening my belt. But after we work through that.
  18. RPF Premium Member
    From
    NJ
    Nov 21, 2010, 7:31 AM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #18

I say go for the Twoface look. Floquil Freightcar brown perhaps?
    From
    Fishersville, Va/Chulak
    Nov 21, 2010, 8:37 AM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #19

Tuscan?
  20. Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Nov 21, 2010, 4:04 PM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #20

I suspect, and this is only a guess on my part - the paint they used is nothing more than a can of Mole Richardson paint that they probably had laying around. Mole Richardson is a lighting and expendables supply place in Hollywood. All of their equipment is painted this hideous shade of purple/maroon. Look at any photo with lights in th and you'll see.

Welcome To Mole-Richardson

I'm going to scan a couple more of the wedges and see if it comes out a little better.

As for where I got these - let's just say they were found in a friend's garage.....

Gene
  21. RPF Premium Member phase pistol's Avatar
    From
    New York
    Nov 21, 2010, 4:14 PM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #21

I thought on a very early TIE sketch there's a note that the ship should be BLACK. This would not have worked for obvious reasons.

Might explain those black TIE bodies in that shop photo tho...

k
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Nov 21, 2010, 4:58 PM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #22

Very interesting.
  23. RPF Premium Member
    From
    NJ
    Nov 21, 2010, 7:21 PM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #23

That color feels really close. My money's on your hunch there, Gene. Also if you need an extra set of hands while digging through the garbage, I'm in. One mans trash is anthers treasure. Keep it coming.
  24. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Nov 21, 2010, 10:17 PM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #24

Gawd, how purely EVIL would an all-black TIE look? Pretty derned evil, son...if you could see it at all...

I did wonder about those hulls, but then we know a lot of stuff got a black base coat.
  25. Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Nov 21, 2010, 10:51 PM - Re: TIE fighter's original color - Not what you think..... #25

Nwerke said: View Post
    Gawd, how purely EVIL would an all-black TIE look? Pretty derned evil, son...if you could see it at all....
    Stealth TIE?

Gene