Studio Scale A wing, finished at last!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: ID help Studio Scale A wing.

I see what you mean, that would un-ravel alot of work. At the end of the day its not a big deal. When its all finished and painted up it will look fantastic! - you're doing a great job :)

Great work Guy, lovely neat work on the rings,...just a thought about the rivit holes you say are too big..
You could try filling them with a tiny amount of milliput and before it sets push the right size drill bit into it to make the hole. It'll squeeze out a little bit but you can sand it flush after it sets. I'm just thinking that it might splinter a bit if you drill into the filler after it sets..it's happened to me before...just a thought..might work..

Cheers

Phil

Just to add to Phil's idea: sand a rounded styrene rod to impress in it. That'll give you a smoother result.

Hey Michael & Guy,

It may be a trick of the camera, but it looks like your top and bottom hull areas at the back between the steering fins are quite flat. However the studio model is rounded as a continuation of the curve of the hull?

If I am I mis-reading the pics or jumping the gun on what you are going to do later then I apologies in advance and will crawl away somewhere! :)

Cheers
N

awing_model_md_a-wing_aft.jpg
[/QUOTE]

:lol No unfortunately your very right I wasn't paying attention
to the shape back there when I made the pattern!:angry:thumbsdown
All those curves and I forget that one!:cry:thumbsdown

Kind of the same thing with the canopy bulkhead it needs to have it's
sides with more curve especially at the bottom. First attempt here at making
patterns or vacuum forming so the curve was high for me.:$

Last edited:

As far as accuracy I told Guy, all he could do is work with
what he had in front of him. Thats a real comforting to
tell a friend ha?!!!:lol:thumbsdown It can be changed a
bit here and a bit there....... but at the end of the day
he is still at the mercy of my skill level for when the parts
were built!!:$

Mate I'm still having a ball even with the preset parameters. I have been working on the canopy bulkhead today & you know it would be nice to have the curves at the end but I can live wit it how it is.

Last edited:

Doesn't look like much but I have got a fare bit done today.

Glued the inner bulk head wall...this was bothering me cos if I got it wrong there would be a twist to the hull. went well

Pinned & glued the top fins into place, this was a lot trickier than I thought, one side was a much neater fit but the angle was too great. Lots of pulling hair out over this but got there in the end.

Aligned the rotation to the engines & drilled the second mount hole in the bulkhead wall to hold it in place.

Did the inside engine detail that near the rear bulkhead, not that it will ever get seen but at least its accurate.

The notchings on the fins is slightly off by about .5 mm so I need to add a .5mm plate to engine bases before I glue them, to lengthen them slightly.
I have to ay its holding its shape really well considering bot even pinned anywhere let alone glued.

IMG_0003-7.jpg

IMG_0007-8.jpg

IMG_0008-7.jpg

IMG_0006-6.jpg

IMG_0004-7.jpg

IMG_0009-5.jpg

Awesome......if I didn't have one of my own I would be jealous!:lol:thumbsup
Everything is looking great Guy now that you have the stabilizers pinned it
really gets stiffer back there.Once you get the vector rings on back,that will make the ends even a bit more sturdier.:thumbsup

Your very correct mate, its like a rock even without stuff glued.

I was a very unsociable boy yesterday & this morning but the results have been worth it

top panel lines are in & parts are just placed for now.

Partsmap1.jpg

Nice scribing she is really starting to look to look the part,
A real Tie-interceptor EATER!!!!!!!:lol It was supposed to
be the fastest fighter at the battle of Endor!!:lol

Not had too much time on her this week but I have made some visual progress.

Got the top center plate cut & 90% scribed & started work on the cockpit section. I had my first small disaster & snapped off one one side of the cockpit side sections. I think I can rescue it though, I hope?

I've also added some internal details to the armature support inside, as the lower center section has a grill/vent that is open to view the inside I thought I'd better smarten it up in there with some detail. Just looking at wood & metal didn't seem right to me, its not canon but who cares its inside?

****** a few panel lines up as well , but nothing that cant be filled and sanded away!

Still nothing is glued not even the armature support so it is a bit wonky in places, hopefully not for too long.

IMG_00071-1.jpg

IMG_00021-1.jpg

IMG_0010-6.jpg

Slowly but surely its coming together. Got the cockpit tub installed today & started work on the head plate. I used the primer to see how bad my panel line repair was?

8/10! Could do better

My AVP game arrived as well this week so I have been neglecting the A wing in favor of chopping of alien heads & getting killed a lot........Ace game

IMG_00014.jpg

IMG_00032.jpg

IMG_00042.jpg

Last edited:

Work on the center plate continues. I had to scratch the grill part as I just couldn't find it in any kit.

IMG_00015.jpg

Hey Guy, this is a money-shot. Love the scribing, too. You and Michael are raising the bar....again. Not unexpected. But, inconvenient for the rest of us! LOL

IMG_0010-6.jpg

Thanks Alan, I have to say without Mike it would be a shadow of what it is at the moment. I am trying my best to copy the ILM detail with this, even down to the untidiness....cough....cough!

This by far the most fun I have had in this bobby aside from painting my Red 3.

Considering you are pretty new to the whole scratch build thing Guy, this is completely off the hook, much like Michaels, just awesome bud!

lee

Cheers Lee, that means a lot bud. I'm looking at it now & cant believe its me thats doing this. I just have to stop rushing at times.

Dude your slaying it...with a big ass sword lol......well, you now have two items to bring over someday....i gotta see this one as well im afraid Mr C :lol

lee

Lee your Avatar is precious!!!!!:love:thumbsup

Guy you must be kidding me!
I am waiting on yours to finish
so I can copy some of the things
you have done!!!!!:lol
Thats what nice about watching another
build the same model!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back