studio scale 66" Enterprise:

Re: ds9 studio scale Enterprise: My 66" big E from Steve Neill. the last of the mohi

From what I'm seeing is you're trying to make it more like one of the old kits. The images from the Smithsonian restoration don't show that flat ridge around the outside. As Steve mentioned, the Sinclair plans were the best that can be found on the web. As I recall he also stated he had access to other materials that were more accurate but couldn't reveal those. It's too bad something related would require secrecy.

I have't looked at mine in awhile but I don't recall those problems. It is those issues that may be the reason a built model looks more real on film than a CGI version.

All in all, I for one realized this was a garage kit and doesn't have the perfections as the new TOS Enterprise now under developmet is trying to achieve.
Exactly my point above. The pics you posted show that no model, especially those that are hand-made as Steve's clearly is, is perfect or smooth.

Re: ds9 studio scale Enterprise: My 66" big E from Steve Neill. the last of the mohi

It may also be why models aren't painted like cars, i.e., with a high gloss paint, as they Would show irregularities and that would certainly be a distraction in watching. That's why CGI takes a great amount of time putting IN defects, whether textures or wireframes.

As Steve mentioned, the Sinclair plans were the best that can be found on the web.
The Sinclair saucer is very close to the Kerr drawings. But the 2nd hull and the warp engines not so much. But they are within an eyeball's tolerance.
I wish I could show you guys the comparisons.

I will say Sinclair definitely had access to the Kerr drawings.

well it seems blindly following these sinclair plans screwed me up on that section :(
a little time and it will be fixed, the funny thing is steve gave me tons of pics of the original E, i never thought to double check the pics top the plans...oh well. i would really love to get my hands on those kerr files....

That really sucks that hes out 2k for something like that. but hey theres no gods here. if somethings bad its bad. it should be replaced or get a refund.

im doing my best to fix what i can, i had to go back wards due to relying to much on the Sinclair plans, ive had to go back and rework some of the work ive done, so there more hours lost :lol
i seem to be the lucky winner on this kit, at least no one else has spoken up, but there is only 3 out of 12 kits that have wip threads here at least not including Steve's. at first i didn't think it was all that bad, but the more i get into it........im spending one heck of a lot of time just cleaning up and fixing parts.
i dont care for the opinion "well the studio model was wavy crap so just live with it" idea, im to much of a perfectionist for that thought, to give up and just let it go is failure in my opinion. ive got to much time and effort into this to just give up and put it together the way it is.
im going to cast new parts,i dont like the idea of all that bond on a kit, plus i dont want more warping issues appearing down the road after it's built. if im going to cast new parts now is the time to do it.

I don't know if anyone said the Studio version was wavy, just that it wasn't perfect. I seem to recall Steve mentioning that he could have done it in a more modern method using machining methods. He wanted to make it a hand-crafted piece of work. In so doing there are bound to be abnormalities.

I haven't went back and watched the videos but I don't remember seeing the parts being warped. If they weren't that way initially then one has to wonder why they became that way. Mine have been stored away for months now. I just pulled them out today and began drilling holes. The parts are just as straight as when I originally got them. The parts are in an area that is always somewhat cool and I wonder if this would make a difference.

The last video has some good pointers regarding how to fill and sand. I'll be taking note of that down the road.

Have you thought about making new molds out of just good old fashioned fiberglass? I've never had experience with a large rtv mold and multiple castings, but polyester or epoxy fiberglass molds can duplicate hundreds of parts without warpage. Of course some pieces will always have to be molded from rtv, but your fiberglass molds will last you forever.

just watch these, steve said ha was having issues with the heat and warping, he even had to recast a piece.
the last Epart1 - YouTube

the last E part two - YouTube

the last E Part 3 - YouTube

ive made fiberglass molds before, i think it would be hard to pick up the scribes of the windows with out destructing the mold...maybe not, silicone is easyer to work with. the molds didnt creat the warping, the heat did.

Is it made from polyester or epoxy. because the polyester will shrink up and warp over time. which it sounds like thats whats happening

it's made from west systems epoxy #105 with cabosil for thickener and hardener. i dont know anything about the stuff so i cant comment on it.

Ok. Then it sounds like it needs stiffeners radiating out from center. I would put a few in when you remake the parts

a couple weeks ago i pmed orbital drydock / bret, it's the same thing he suggested.
i really dont like casting fiberglass, im trying to find some one local here that will do it, maybe even use the vacubag system so it wont get warping.

Well without stiffening. It still may warp. Its not a big deal to add some stringers in there.

Stringers are def the way to go; the only way to make sure IMO. You damn well don't want to go through all of the effort to have the same thing happen again!

i just got back from a boat shop....the short of end of a long talk....he said make new pieces, which is what i was planning on doing any way. his comments were it has way to much resin and lots of air pockets which are making it warp. he also said the western systems epoxy should be only used for small repairs not for making stuff like this. .....oh well........:)

western systems epoxy should be only used for small repairs not for making stuff like this. .....oh well........:)

Hmmm...... that's funny, they build complete aircraft from the stuff.

Oh and rockets too.....

RV Repair

Hmmmm..... Someone must have a biased against it because it is used for pretty big boats too.....

WEST SYSTEM | Projects | Profiled Boats - Largest wood/epoxy ship launched

Its called a resin rich part, when you lay up fiber glass or epoxy you want as little resin as possible. keep patting the mat into the resin and use as little as possible. plus i always take a dry brush and soak up any excess. there should never be any pools of resin in the part.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back