studio scale 66" Enterprise:

Re: 1/2 studio scale enterprise, My 66" big E from steve neill. the last of the mohi

i gave up trying to do the clear resin windows while working on my 350 refit, i could never find a resin that cures in a reasonable time and with out all the bubbles. so im going diffused on this and if it looks good im going to do the same on my refit.

Re: 1/2 studio scale enterprise, My 66" big E from steve neill. the last of the mohi

I hear ya, clear windows are such a pain. Unless there is something to see inside I go diffused.

Can't wait till Round 2 1/350 comes out. Have mine on reserved.

Jerry you are doing an outstanding job. Good job on cutting the windows first before you fixed that warped SOB. Unfortunately the Engineering hull has a bad warp in it and the saucer has a few too from the molds just getting tired. But you're fixing them right up good.

Steve

Re: DS9 studio scale Enterprise: My 66" big E from Steve Neill. the last of the mohi

thank you very much Steve :) , it's really not that bad, as i stated in the video....im a bit anal and ocd :lol
I'm very happy with this kit, you have no idea :lol , i would build several if i could, you did an outstanding job in building this, thank you

hopefully I'll do ya proud :)

now if i can get mods to understand this IS studio scale :lol ...and move it back :)

Re: DS9 studio scale Enterprise: My 66" big E from Steve Neill. the last of the mohi

haaaaa, thank you :D :lol

back home! back home! :D

Re: studio scale Enterprise: My 66" big E from Steve Neill. the last of the mohicans

Great work.
I still have flash backs about all the Everclear,sanding and painting oH MY...LOL

Paul/kahn1701

Re: studio scale Enterprise: My 66" big E from Steve Neill. the last of the mohicans

funny that I should enjoy that sort of stuff :) i just do. :D

Re: ds9 studio scale Enterprise: My 66" big E from Steve Neill. the last of the mohi

just and update as to whats going on with the build, lots of to do.
sadly im going to have to spend a ton of money making some parts :( , due to warping issues and having to grind away so much material it has thin spots and i dont trust it's strength now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t34XQ8LjlDU&feature=plcp

Last edited:
Re: ds9 studio scale Enterprise: My 66" big E from Steve Neill. the last of the mohi

So you don't really think that the original studio model was perfect to the Sinclair plans either do you? Most studio models are built using the TLAR (that looks about right) method. After watching your videos, in my opinion, you are trying to make it too perfect. With the compound surfaces you are working with, you will never achieve that and it will drive you crazy. Its not a Ferrari. Just build it.

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much, the original model is a wonky mess. Just get the big spots. As for the thin areas where you ground it down, just build up some fiberglass on the inside to reinforce it. No need to remake parts.

And spray for spiders, I saw at least two :lol

And spray for spiders, I saw at least two :lol

:lol:lol i made the mistake of leaving my window open for the day, and now ive spiders, i seen one but i didnt see the second :)

While you were doing the spreading with the template, a spider went crawling along the saucer edge.

i wonder if it's the same little dude :lol thats to funny, creepy, but funny
i need to get screens for my windows.

Last edited:

maybe there baby Klingon's trying to sabotage the ship :lol
one things for sure, im getting some spray and sticky strips before i go home....eek!

Ahhhhh, please don't go to all this trouble trying to match the Sinclair plans, they're a mess. The saucer in particular is just wrong in every way. The bottom edge is too sharp, the angle of the rim is too angley, he's making you fix things that don't need fixing!

(Sinclair's nacelles aren't bad though)

From what I'm seeing is you're trying to make it more like one of the old kits. The images from the Smithsonian restoration don't show that flat ridge around the outside. As Steve mentioned, the Sinclair plans were the best that can be found on the web. As I recall he also stated he had access to other materials that were more accurate but couldn't reveal those. It's too bad something related would require secrecy.

I have't looked at mine in awhile but I don't recall those problems. It is those issues that may be the reason a built model looks more real on film than a CGI version.

All in all, I for one realized this was a garage kit and doesn't have the perfections as the new TOS Enterprise now under developmet is trying to achieve.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back