SS Landspeeder!!! This might happen again!!

micdavis

Master Member
Here we go again.

I WANT one of these, so it looks like I am going to have to do it.

If we can agree on what we want, I'll put together a kit. I might even consider a build or two (but that is gonna cost ya :lol).

1. Scale model of the Full Size or replica of the SS Model?

Honestly creating a scale model of the Full Size would probably garner about the same results. Some of the details of the Full size would have to be compromised for scale. Dashboard, engines, etc. Plus some of the body contours seem a little different. I would prefer a scaled down full size with as much detail as I can manage.

2. Do you want a kit you have to build or a Fiberglass/resin body and parts to assemble?

I've worked out a method to produce a lot of the shapes in Laser Cut plastic with some fill in pieces. More of a build than an assembly. I'm inclined to go laser cut. Keeps my hands out of resin and fiberglass more and would probably result in a faster delivery of the kit. Probably cheaper too.

3. Do you want a "clean" Speeder or all the dings and scraps built in?

I think clean would be best. You can do your own weathering and such. Easier for me to master and mold.

4. Anyone got good dims on the size of the MODEL.

I've got tons of pics from all the folks who have photgraphed it but nothing definitive for the size.

Any chance wasii would share his dims and help out those he let down?

Gather up all the folks you know that want one and have them speak up here. No, hurry I've got a few projects still ahead of this but it's now ON my plate.

Preliminary drawings soon.

Price point to be near the previous attempt but honestly he undersold himself.

No pre-order or pre-payment. I'll foot the bill for development. But if you say you want one PLEASE stick with me.

Last edited:
Re: SS Landspeeder!!!

I'd like to shoot for the SS model in all it's glory. It's a phenomenal model and we have the most reference for it. I'd prefer it's weathered form with the main dent etc.... but most weathering will be done with paint ops. If the big dents can't be moulded in whatever form this thing takes, perhaps we can have a template included that can be placed on the model to help locate the major dents and dings. :)

I would like to keep it at the same price point if possible. I know most SS models end up in about the same place cost wise. I'm hoping for no more than $400. I would hope that wire details etc... will be included with the kit.

I know how these projects tend to work, but If I say I'm in, I'll stick with ya. I've been wanting one of these forever.

Dave :)

I was responsible for all the models on the set of 5-25-77. I received Wasili's Landspeeder and prepared it for the shoot. I have to say it is an AMAZING model. Wasili did a fantastic job. He sent it so that the engines could be easily attached. He molded them with 2 posts coming out of each engine. I just had to slide them in place. The fit was snug and perfect.

I had that model in my hands, but I never thought to measure it. I do know that the model is 3' long. If you can make your drawings based on that, the rest should fall into place.

Before he built it, Wasili asked me if it should be basd on the full scale version or the miniature one. Patrick needed the miniature version because it was a scene about the original ILM, which partly takes place in the model shop. That would be my choice because the original was made to fit classic Six Million Dollar Man figures as Luke and Ben. Those can still be found on ebay. Plus I made the C-3PO figure that was in Wasili's Speeder for the shoot (needs a home).

I love the dialog in the scene... John Dykstra explains to young guest Pat Johnson a little of what Star Wars is all about. When he comes to the Landspeeder he explains that "This is Luke's Landspeeder. That's Luke, his droid C-3PO, and that's Obi Wan Kenobi." Pat looks at the dolls in the speeder and says, "Wait, that's the Bionic Man action figure!" Dykstra responds with, "Yeah, don't tell anyone, we're making this whole movie out stuff you can find lying around in your garage!"

To see photos of the Landspeeder on the set, go to: http://www.rickingalsbestudio.com/pages/part_7.html Scroll about half way down the page. There are 3 photos of it. Just click the smaller pics to see larger ones.

Last edited:

I would like a SS version....I really don't have any more room in my 12 car garage for a 1:1 scale....I thought I had a spot next to my Lamborgini Diablo roadster

Last edited:

You have a customer here, DYING for one of these, especially after "loaning" Wasili my money.

1. I plan to make mine a scale model of the Full Size. You'll probably get more sales making it "studio scale" accurate, so do that. I can make mine a hybrid, I guess.

I too would prefer a scaled down full size with as much detail as you can manage.

2. Do you want a kit you have to build or a Fiberglass/resin body and parts to assemble?

I can build this thing from scratch if I needed to, but time is limited, so I don't like to "reinvent the wheel" if I can avoid it... if it's cheaper, so be it.

More parts set and less "full on kit". The things out of my easy reach are fabricating things like the clear windshield, and larger forms.

3. Do you want a "clean" Speeder or all the dings and scraps built in?

I think clean would be best too. Faster for you :)

I will buy, no doubt about that. Thank you for stepping up to the plate for us!

I think If you are doing a ss replicas it should have all the dings as to look weathered and like the oringinal. I want the kit to do myself...and like I said I want the beat up version like in the movie

ok here are the two model sizes

full scale 217 x 402 x 114 cm = 85.4331 x 158.2677 x 44.8819 inches

model 56 x 97 x 31 cm = 22.0472 x 38.189 x 12.2047 inches

Last edited:

I had that model in my hands, but I never thought to measure it. I do know that the model is 3' long. If you can make your drawings based on that, the rest should fall into place.

Is that 36" from nose to tip of the high engine pod? Or the basic body length.

I think If you are doing a ss replicas it should have all the dings as to look weathered and like the oringinal. I want the kit to do myself...and like I said I want the beat up version like in the movie

ok here are the two model sizes

full scale 217 x 402 x 114 cm = 85.4331 x 158.2677 x 44.8819 inches

model 56 x 97 x 31 cm = 22.0472 x 38.189 x 12.2047 inches
it is actually 38.189 inches long

makes me wish I'd kept the Steve Austin action figure I had when I was kid... Was he bigger than 1/6th scale cause the scale of the SS miniature seems closer to 1/4?

Did all the shots of the miniature SS get removed from the special editions?

Is that 36" from nose to tip of the high engine pod? Or the basic body length.

What I know is that he built it to the specs of the original filming model, which were provided to him. After looking up the length in "Sculpting a Galaxy" it was actually 38" long. Wasili knows for sure, but I believe it was from nose to tip of the high engine pod. Like I said, I wish I would have taken measurements when I had the chance.

I would also be interested in one of the SS scale Landspeeders. After seeing it agian at the Chicago exibit, It sealed the deal.

makes me wish I'd kept the Steve Austin action figure I had when I was kid... Was he bigger than 1/6th scale cause the scale of the SS miniature seems closer to 1/4?

Yes, the Six Million Dollar Man figs were larger than traditional 1/6th scale...i.e. taller than G.I. Joes.

Here is the first drawing of the basic shapes. Comments?

ScaledSpeeder.jpg

so far so good. If I'm reading the drawing correctly, the innermost "U" shape of the hood area........should be closer to the edge.....such that it continues into the circle where the windshield will go. Does that even make sense??? Also on the side view, you haven't yet added in the recessed "step" behind the main side recess. Sorry about the terminology, I have no idea what to call these things on the landspeeder. LOL.

Last edited:

No no back "step" yet. But both the full size and SS show the "hood" intersecting the "tub" more narrow than the tub itself.

hoodfull.jpg

hoodSS.jpg

Yeah I'm with ya on that now. The 2D drawing made me think it was too narrow, but I attempted to overlay it onto an overhead photo of the prop and it lined up pretty darned well. Sorry for the goof. Just ignore me Mic.........everything looks good so far.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back