Slave I ...from the "Inaccurate Buildup" LP

Oh man, this is going to be soooo cooooollll Allan. A big project thats for sure but from the work Iv'e seen of yours Allan you'll do just fine!.
The dish, wow the dish, just incredible dude!.
Looking forward to this build with great anticipation, yeeha!.

Stu

Thanks for the kind words, all. This is going to be slow going, though. In truth, I believe my radar dish is about 4.5mm too large. Worse, the Antipodean engines (like that term), while perfectly rendered from my drawings, need to be done over. The secondaries (round ones) are perfect. However, some idiot (yours truly) made a blow on the dimensions of the primary. And, it's significantly too big.

I feel utterly stupid for the error, as it's something I could easily have checked. But, honestly, I've had the engine plans in the can for more than a year. And, when you've spent as much time on this as I have (well, maybe not "you", but certainly me!) a certain amount of complacency sets in. I imagine I had a fence operation in my CAD program that went unnoticed and error was introduced. Otherwise, I can't explain why it didn't affect the secondaries. Anyhow, like I said, slow going when I make amateur mistakes.

The good news is that I've reassessed (I've done this at least a dozen times, since 2007) all the underside dimensions and they all check out. This involves comparing the real world dimensions of a large sampling of kit parts, located from one end of the undercarriage to the other, and testing them against the raster image that I've scaled to studio size in CAD. For example, the 20mm cannon that makes up an antenna on the radar dish measures 62mm. In CAD the same part measures 62.02mm. You want to make sure you take a good sampling of kit part measures that are perpendicular to one another throughout the length of the model.

This is how I sized the model for the 3D printing that Richard (REL) then turned into the gorgeous casting you all know. Anyway, I'm confident everything will fit once I correct my mistakes (radar dish and primary engine). And, I've already set that in motion.

Eagle1 is the kind Antipodean member who, together with his dad, have done miracles in alloy on both this and the RT project. Unfortunately, I've had to put my RT aside, as S1 is front burner, now.

From experience - I've always been faster and better when I do something twice. At least you have that to look forward to...

Thanks for sharing your experiences on this build. It's going to be great to see how you sort out all the mechanical area on the bottom of this beast!

Well, because my radar dish is ending up being a "study model" (is woefully wrong in proportion), that gives me a little time to look for some parts.

The radar dish has a bit from the 88mm (B40) on one half, and a trident shaped part on the opposing half. Anyone know what the trident is from? It's right around 5-6mm in length. I think I had this part ID'd at one point, now it's in the ether....

trid.jpg

There are also what I think are tank tracks on the cockpit hood. They're about 5-7mm long. Anyone know? Sorry, these are the biggest pics I have...

tracks.jpg

tracks2.jpg

Appreciate any help!

Allen,do you know if Rel is still going to do a limited release on the Slave I?I imagine after you build the prototype and work the kinks out or something?I haven't heard or seen any indication of what is happening with this incredible piece.Great work by the way,eevn if the radar dish and main engine are off by a tad.

Hi John. Hmm, I can't speak for Richard. All we can do is watch, wait, and see what develops...

Ro - thanks for the nudge to my memory!

So, who knows about the tracks? If they are tracks?

tracks.jpg

tracks2.jpg

i understand the reverence for slave 1, but its never been in my top 10. however work like this can change how one looks at life. gorgeous work allan. the hull is cool...but the pile of junk on the bottom of this boat is what always interested me. can't wait to see how you pile it on.

if your radar dish is a study, i'd be happy to take it off your hands when you're done studying it...SERIOUSLY. i have a perfect little project for it later on down the line. even if you remove the anten', i'd take the main dish if you were think'g of tossing it in the long run.

The trident shaped part reminds me of a tank part I came across recently.
Either a Tamiya 1/35 Sheridan, Panther or Leopard.
Sorry I can't be of more help!

The trident shaped part reminds me of a tank part I came across recently.
Either a Tamiya 1/35 Sheridan, Panther or Leopard.
Sorry I can't be of more help!

Yep they are jerycans handlers for me. Unfortunatly I havent found the good one yet ! And those parts are smaller than the measurements Allan gave. :wacko Maybe from a 1/25 tank, I should check mines...

Two more parts from the radar dish I can't seem to track down. Anyone?

radar.jpg

radar2.jpg

Same part, different angle:
radar3.jpg

Here's my version 4 (technically). This version has the cutouts angling properly at the inner circle, and the back is one piece.

s1_40.jpg

s1_41.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back