Red 3 with a twist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Cowen

Sr Member
Finally I got round to doing this, I'm not sure where to post it as its a bit of a weird concept

I'm looking for all your thoughts on this as a viable item to sell

I've been toying with this idea for ages now and given up and started again and lost track of it but tonight I finally did the first large scale proto to get an idea of how they look.

Originally it was to be a set of 4 per film ANH, ESB, ROTJ in a frame at 8x8 inch each but it became too fine art !!!

I wanted a bit more impact rather than just fiddling with tiny details....

I've used the generic pattern of a Red 3 Wing for the panels and blocks, this isn't to be compared with the studio model, I'm using the models as a backbone then going free form using all the techniques I learned since being at the RPF. Each one will be unique and hand painted.

They're also 3D with layered styrene and very basic kit parts to just nod (resemble ) the studio mini detail...again not to be accurate but just look the part.

Below is my starting point with the base coat on, thats an iPhone 4s to show scale, its 16 x22 inch without the frame, quite big

Now the finished Panels just tacked to a cheap Ikea frame to gauge the look.

Sorry for the naff pic but I want daylight to take proper shots.

Like I siad I'm looking to see what your thoughts or if anyone would be interested in these ?

No price as yet just checking I'm not going mad, but I love it and look s so ace at this size, I'm only painting the same way I paint the models so trying to ILM it all the way but more basic and a little more care free for a change.

Hope you like it

Next is the Five footer, then Slave and a snow speeder, then B-wing and A wing, Y and Sandcawler if I get time. I want to show these at the Star Wars Fan Day next week in Burnley :)

Last edited:
Count me in mate, always told you this was a classy idea, and that pic, of your first go, is stunning!

Lee

Cheers Lee, I'm hoping to get the Falcon panels done tomorrow and then the B wing to get a break from Grey :), It looks so cool on the wall, I'm made up.

Thats a really classy, geeky piece of art. Bravo....totally unique and well thought out.

You know what guy in the E-mail I only saw the finished painted pic.......I thought
it was a picture taken from the Filming mini! LOL I didn't realize you constructed
the wing! Take that as a big up to the painting skillzs because I thought I was looking
at a picture of reference!!

Love the idea Guy .. I'm pretty sure shipping would be a killer on that monster though!!!

I'd be curious to have more info when the time comes!

:thumbsup

They're quite light but big, I could do a smaller one if you wanted one. I just balls'd up my B-wing panel after spending all day on it, silly error but need to start it again, I'll do a battle damage version with this one as one off lol

Its only 1mm styrene with the plates on top and is pretty flexible. I want to get a set of four done then check out some shipping costs and work a price out.

Hey guy you painted that??
That is very cool!!
Are you selling these through the forum or privately??
Again great depth in the drawing!!
Congrats
Mars

Proto 2 wrapped up, I'm loving doing these, these are trials to see how and learning new stuff, I have to be less anal and more refined. This one had a few problems so isn't the best example but looks quite nice :).

Again, please don't judge this to the prop, its meant to be art not the studio model, thanks for looking.

Gorgeous, why you arent working on a paint master for eFX, i dont know! This really is one of the most original ideas in a long time!

Lee

I really like the style of these! the painting is beautiful, even though it's a much larger scale it's 100% convincing that it is a blown up section of the real filming miniatures. Really looking forward to seeing all of the different ships you choose to do.

What a fantastic idea! And beautifully executed. I would definitely hang that on my wall. Count me in if you do begin selling these.

David

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

These look great, I would suggest maybe give surface mounting them on a flat frame a try (with a spacer to bring them off the frame a bit).

Yeh these aren't framed as yet, I'm Trying to get a frame designed for them thats not too expensive, I was going to raise them in a box frame but its getting big, I think a simple black frame tight up to the edge looks great, so the art sits inside it.

I'm currently working on the Falcon but may go super elaborate and have it curved in a downward direction and be twice the size, still TBC but I want the Falcon to to be Epic and beyond art..... And hey I could always hang it on my own wall if it doesn't take off :)

Thanks for all the comments guys, really glad they're going down well. I have to say pricing these is not easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back