The Official V4 Info and Instructions Depot™

The standard kit comes with the resin/brass hybrid laser cannons, basically a 3/32 brass tube run the length of the cannon from the tip to the barrel, plenty strong IMO. Jason wanted to do full brass for his. I think he will cover full brass cannons if you want to upgrade the kit.

Mike could you reply to my MP I sent you yesterday regarding the missing Death Star turret parts ?
Seriously if you dont have time to cast the parts (you look vert busy between the X-Wing, AT-ST and galactica), just send me the molds, I'll pull the parts myself ! J/K :)
Thank you in advance !

Anyone started there build on V4 yet? I would be interested in seeing some photos. I've been finishing up on a couple of other projects before I started. Mike must be out of control busy. I've emailed him a couple times about a missing piece with no response.

Is nice just to know someone has actually RECEIVED a V4.
It's been radio silence for weeks and I know I was on the list pretty early...
Just trying to wait patiently now...

Just an FYI, i am getting back to everyone as their order comes up, so it's not unusual to not hear from me until then. I want to keep all the PM's in order so the best way is to just not open them until it's time to ship the x wing. It's all a bit of a new system with me not taking any funds until things are ready to ship, rather than a usual run. So I apologize if it's unnerving to not hear back from me about an order, but figure it's better this way so i am not hanging on to anyones $ for more than a few days for each kit as they go out.

I also apologize about not getting back to PM's in general in a timely manner, i have been so busy the last couple of weeks i pretty much work every minute or have the kids every other moment. I have been pretty much asleep 10 minutes after i have a free moment the last couple of weeks.

Any missing parts i will get to ASAP.

thanks
mike

This is my first Salzo X-Wing build and I've been searching old Salzo build threads high and low to find an answer to this question. I'm trying to figure out the wing alignment against the L brackets. Do I align them towards the front or the back if I'm looking at the model from above? From the best I can tell from photos, I would say forward, but thought I would get an answer here from the experts.
20141222_140845.jpg20141222_140914.jpg

Last edited:
Is there any latest on the progress on this, Mike....? Been a bit out of the loop with the holidays. Hope everyone had a good week this week! :)

Pre-qualifier: I can machine things, I can TIG weld, I've fabricated some pretty complicated/precision things and I own and use an Iawata airbrush. That being said, I've unboxed and laid out all the V4 parts. I wonder if I haven't gotten in over my head? I bought this kit because from what I've read, this is "THE" x-wing kit to have. I count 146 parts (including landing gear). I've read many tutorials and keep referring back to Bigturc's V3 Red 5 build (I know it's not a V4, but this seems to be about the same as my skill level - at least I can hope!). I also appreciate Moffeaton's brief but precise instructions in this thread. I've never done a resin "garage" kit before, so I'm a little apprehensive about starting with the V4 - I don't want to screw anything up! I figure if I wait long enough, V4 builds will start popping up. For the time being, I started removing "flash" from all the parts - that should keep me busy for a week or two and for the most part, it's obvious what needs to be removed.

I'm holding off on removing flash from less obvious parts, like the canopy rails - I've seen some rails that include an "inner rail" and make a sort of "lip" for adding clear plastic. It seems most x-wing builds DO NOT have canopy glass to prevent camera glare. I also remember reading something about the angle of the rear "quarter windows". Any general suggestions for a novice x-wing builder to prevent me from messing up this beautiful kit?

Thanks!

Pre-qualifier: I can machine things, I can TIG weld, I've fabricated some pretty complicated/precision things and I own and use an Iawata airbrush. That being said, I've unboxed and laid out all the V4 parts. I wonder if I haven't gotten in over my head? I bought this kit because from what I've read, this is "THE" x-wing kit to have. I count 146 parts (including landing gear). I've read many tutorials and keep referring back to Bigturc's V3 Red 5 build (I know it's not a V4, but this seems to be about the same as my skill level - at least I can hope!). I also appreciate Moffeaton's brief but precise instructions in this thread. I've never done a resin "garage" kit before, so I'm a little apprehensive about starting with the V4 - I don't want to screw anything up! I figure if I wait long enough, V4 builds will start popping up. For the time being, I started removing "flash" from all the parts - that should keep me busy for a week or two and for the most part, it's obvious what needs to be removed.

I'm holding off on removing flash from less obvious parts, like the canopy rails - I've seen some rails that include an "inner rail" and make a sort of "lip" for adding clear plastic. It seems most x-wing builds DO NOT have canopy glass to prevent camera glare. I also remember reading something about the angle of the rear "quarter windows". Any general suggestions for a novice x-wing builder to prevent me from messing up this beautiful kit?

Thanks!

My V4 is my 1st X-Wing build since I was kid, but i have lots of experience with resin kits. I've been kind of waiting also to see if someone was going to post their build. I've been searching a lot of V3 builds and have most of it figured out. I would be happy to share what I've figured out. Just let me know what you have a question on and I will try to answer to my best ability. I'm sure if I'm leading you astray someone here will correct me. As far as the inner lip my understanding is that the pyro models did not have it and the hero models did. It appears on the V4 that the inner lip is not there. It looks like just flashing to me.

I have got a crap-ton of irons in the fire, but I will get back on this X-Wing build for you guys this week. Sorry for the lack of updates! I'm making this with a more deluxe armature, so it will be slightly different. It's a great kit, an iconic model... god I love these things.

Thanks for the help, kokkari and moffeaton!
I'm looking forward to more V4 build updates. I'm a long way from doing any building, but getting familiar with all the parts helps. Especially when it comes down to learning the miniscule details to make things right. Looking through the parts, I noticed there's a difference between the 4 wings - I'm assuming this difference identifies top and bottom wings. Two wings have 5 little rectangle greeblies on the interior surfaces and two wings have 7 little rectangle greeblies on the interior surfaces...there are also very minor differences with the panel lines on the opposite sides. Which is top and which is bottom?

Hey Guys, the wings have no real top/bottom up down orientation. They were referenced from the pyro as far as the chip details go, so like a lot of the "little" details they are generic.

If you going to get seriously detailed about little stuff like that you will want to shave those off and match it to your Red # as closely as you want to.

It's the same with the fuselage, it has the pyro chip type detail.

It's the practical way to do it, i can't have 4 sets of fuselage molds or 4 sets of wing molds to match the smaller details and keep the kit economically sound.

My suggestion for the little things like that is to just have fun with the kit, a standard build of this kit nicely painted and weathered may not be a super accurate chip for chip replica but will build to a very respectable looking x wing, and IMO i keep the price point low enough for a studio model that's something you should build and enjoy. I know that is a controversial statement for the studio scale section in some ways but i am not getting any younger and i am trying to adopt that philosophy a bit for myself.

As far as kit shipping etc, all paid kits were shipped before i was forced to slow down for much of Dec. I had a rotating cast of sick people in the house, between the 2 kids almost a week and a half of staying home, then they were off for the holiday, the holiday itself, then sick wife and somewhere in between all that i was sick. Needless to say not much got done in Dec., just the way it goes sometimes.

Hope to be back to work more steadily starting tomorrow, so look out for the PM's if you ordered a kit.
thanks
mike

Not sure if Mike did 4 different wings pattern, but I dont think. I think I made only 2 wings pattern, so it means you have 2 sets of 2 identical wings, just like the original.
Top right wing should be the same than lower left wing and top left wing should be the same than lower right wing. There is only one way to put the wings, you cant be wrong.

My first resin kit was the V2 X-Wing made by make almost a decade ago. It was different, but not by that much ! There was no instructions at this time so my advice would be to take your time, remove all the flashes like you did, study pictures of the original models to figure where should go the parts (and ask here when in doubt about some of the parts). I built a V3 fuselage which is basically the same than the V4 regarding the building process, with a custom armature and it was pretty easy, the kit is well done.

Regarding the rear canopy window, it was not part of the original X-Wing pattern, this means they were all cut differently from a X-Wing to another, just look at the one you want to reproduce.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back