13 years ago I saw Jim Crevelings Battlestar and Movers replicas in Florida. Always being a fan of the ragtag fleet, I though "That movers ship look easy, I should make one too". Talking to Jim and then Charles Adams, Mark Dickson, plus many others on the way I found that while Jim's mode was superb, it was far from correct. So I started to buy kits, ask questions, and look way to close at the DVD. Slowly more and more pieces came together. Then in 2003 while working on the new show I received a picture from Greg Jein that really helped fill in some gaps (especially the Arado nose). Then for many many years it sat in a box while I traveled for work. Since then the B&W Pappas picture has surfaced and a few new pieces have been found. Now I'm finally going to complete my replicas 12years journey :-)
What started it all...
Last weekend I dug out the pieces, the white plastic on many pieces have turn a noticeable yellow. Then finally sorted out the containers and attached them with magnets. They had been done once, but wrongly.
More progress pics here:
Colonial Movers Studio Scale Replica - a set on Flickr
I know all the bits I'm missing and should have them on the way in a week or two. One place I'm not going to fix/correct is the (now known) gap in the engines section. Mine has been glued together for 12 years and if the join is that good, I'm not messing with it. Plus to be honest, it looks better without the gap.