Kuhn Global-Hero X Wing build up

I toned down the panels a bit.

x30.jpg

x31.jpg

Absolutely wonderful. What did you do to paint the cockpit details? Specifically the straight lines just forward of the pilot... were they masked or a decal you made or perhaps some of the pinstriping decals?

Richard,

I have always known that this was possible....

Getting a beautiful project done in an efficient and timely manner is the true mark of a PROFESSIONAL.

EXCELLENT WORK... :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Less than Super Ostrich @ Feb 9 2007, 08:44 AM) [snapback]1415413[/snapback]</div>
just great. I want that reference pic book.
[/b]

LOLOL... It is kewl, isn't it? And Richard is doing amazing work.

Since the reference pictures are openly available online,.. here is a zip file containing some of the reference of the 5 foot Red 3 in Richard's book that is being used for the Kuhn Global RED 3 that Richard is building. We chose not to mimic the 2 foot filming model since the 5 foot was so detailed.

http://www.kuhnglobal.net/STUDIOMODELS/KG-...3-Reference.zip

Enjoy.

I hope to see many more HERO X's being built by all the talent here. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kuhn Global @ Feb 9 2007, 05:37 PM) [snapback]1415439[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Less than Super Ostrich @ Feb 9 2007, 08:44 AM) [snapback]1415413[/snapback]
just great. I want that reference pic book.
[/b]

LOLOL... It is kewl, isn't it? And Richard is doing amazing work.

Since the reference pictures are openly available online,.. here is a zip file containing some of the reference of the 5 foot Red 3 in Richard's book that is being used for the Kuhn Global RED 3 that Richard is building. We chose not to mimic the 2 foot filming model since the 5 foot was so detailed.

http://www.kuhnglobal.net/STUDIOMODELS/KG-...3-Reference.zip

Enjoy.

I hope to see many more HERO X's being built by all the talent here. ;)
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for posting the reference pic zip Kuhn, they are some awesome pics....

You are doing a scary nice job REL.... I am really looking forward to seeing pics of your future progress. Makes me want to pull out my CC kit and get to work.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gold Leader @ Feb 9 2007, 10:31 PM) [snapback]1415626[/snapback]</div>
With all this X-wing activity, I am tempted to pull one of mine outta the stash and start building.
Btw, I don't know if you've seen these.
Click
Click
Click

The whole album can be found Here
[/b]

Those are some nice underside pics.

What do you guys recommend for the main hull color?
I know some have have done the whole paint it black, then gloss auto white and steel wool the gloss off and bring out the black under. But not so sure I want to try that, I think I am more comfortable with a close enough hull color and weather from there.

Love the ship and the detailing -- only thing that bugs me is the subject model never saw screen-time in the final prints.

Also Rich, just an observation -- (at leaset on my monitor), the red seems to be reading a litle "hot"...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CessnaDriver @ Feb 10 2007, 12:06 AM) [snapback]1415851[/snapback]</div>
What do you guys recommend for the main hull color?
I know some have have done the whole paint it black, then gloss auto white and steel wool the gloss off and bring out the black under. But not so sure I want to try that, I think I am more comfortable with a close enough hull color and weather from there.
[/b]

Richard,.. I am going to take the floor on this one for a moment please...

Well,.. there are many that will never believe me of this, but...

In my investigations of the X-Wing paint job, I luckily came across some interesting info that apparantly hasn't ever made it into the modeling world,.. or at least wasn't taken seriously (I can't imagine why).

While I understand this technique was described by known and knowledgable individuals, the technique of the black undercoat with the white on top, scoured with steel wool actually ONLY happened on a single x-wing as a trial paint test for use on ESB. It never saw screen time as it was only a test. :eek

I know this is not what everyone will believe and it will bring lots of speculation, but I am whole heartedly convinced it is true,.. and that is what matters to me. B)

I suggest each builder always do what their own wish may be in order to get the desired effect they want. If the above technique works for you... then do it. ;)

I don't believe Richard used a black undercoat on my Red 3 that he is building. Weather he did or didn't,... It is looking amazing. :D :D

I have told my builders that I do not want the models to look like the filming minis, but idealized to what it would be if it were real, but using the same basic paint scheme and markings of the Studio Models.

For instance,... RED3 will have Biggs in the cockpit and have the appropriate R2 unit behind him (the one seen sitting behind the actor in the flying seen). The same goes for every HERO X I am having built. This is studio scale blasphemy, but it is how I remember the movie and how I want it shown.

Love the ship and the detailing -- only thing that bugs me is the subject model never saw screen-time in the final prints.
[/b]

Even knowing that the 5 foot never saw print time, we chose NOT to represent the 2 foot version (which was very different from the 5 foot version) since this 5 footer looked so nice and is still part of Star Wars history.

I will accept the blasphemy charges and show these birds the way I want them seen (accurate in more ways than just the studio model)

When Richard finishes the Hero Red 3,. and Bob finished the Heros Reds 2 and 5, stay tuned for the Heros Reds 1, 4, and 6 to complete the squadron that we associated with. Everyone with it's appropriate pilot and R2. On that note,.. it is Red 4 that will be a bit up in the air regarding the pilot and R2.

_______

Also Rich, just an observation -- (at leaset on my monitor), the red seems to be reading a litle "hot"...
[/b]

Rob,.. a good point. :) As of last night, the "hot" red has been dulled with the slight paint overlay of the base coat color since those photos were taken. If you look closely at the 5 footer in the reference Richard is using, you will notice that is what happened on that bird as well. I believe his weathering technique has started today. :)

I hope that answered some questions that may have been circulating. I know it is not true to the Studio Scale Standard, but it is the way I wish them to be. :p

Anyway,.. my excitement continues with this project. :D I am extremely pleased with the work being produced. :thumbsup B) :thumbsup

Keep those kewl projects comin' guys. ;)

The floor is yours again Richard. :)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back