Well, it's official.....I'm no longer a virgin.............
I've just finished my first SS model.
I decided to do the 232 probe droid pod to put into our local modelling competition for the weekend (10th and 11th). I had all of the parts, including the plastruct stuff and decided to build it from all original bits, no castings (this time....).
It took about two weeks, working for 2-3 hours per night (all the time I had). The hardest parts were aligning the hulls and measuring and masking the markings on the domes.
I used styrene strip (cut from sheets) and fine rod to help align and support the hull joins (picture 2). Each end had a pentagon backed with styrene discs to support the central tube/armature. I put thin discs on the outside of each end pentagon to help aligning the T-34 wheel and the Lotus rim.
The "armature" is simply different widths of styrene tube slipped into each other, with a piece of rod as the centre stopper. The metal model support rod from the base, slides into the central tube from the front of the pod and rests against the styrene stopper rod. This way the pod can be taken off the base for transport.
The pics show the progression from pile of kits to unpainted complete pod, with two schematics for the "armature" (slide 1 & slide 2).