Ilm tauntaun armature

marsattack

Sr Member
I started a while back drawing very early pictures from the very few photos found on the net.
I did show some of you these, but figured I would need some serious help if I wanted to do this correctly and accurate. It was also a great thing to do the AT-st armature run as it helped me to familiarize the works with movement and alloy , joints etc.The Tauntaun armature Is a very complex design and in our opinion " totally customized". I saw the early works of Robert here he did for the probe droid. The cad/3d modeling skills he has are second to none as you will all soon agree.
The taun was a stand still project and with not much to go with until I contacted Rob and discussed with him what wecould do.
He suggested using his knowledge of 3d to design and copy what we see in the ILM armature.
Considering the limited pictures and information we have I think Rob and myself have come up with great results.
We have worked nonstop and Robert has put an incredible amount of hours drawing and re drawing what I believe is an excellent prototype. I am sure and hope Robert adds more and discusses the technical work, I am completely blown away at what he has done . We wanted to keep this quiet , and we do have many many work in progress pictures ,drawings and cad work but the following shows the complexity of what is to come.

Hope you enjoy our work

Thanks Rob and mars

Following shot of upto date design.
some screws and other bits have been removed as they are not "agreed on"
and not yet finalized.
We are almost done, just going over some last decisions.
Hope Rob chimes in with what is in store next........
taun_zps1babd061.jpg

Yes this has been a mission just to get to here, Every part of the armature is custom milled by hand. i was hoping to get away with some off the self products but no such luck. Theres been some more work done on the head since that shot and its now on its way to get cast in stainless steel, the jaw is fully articulated both horizontally and vertically. We have glass eyes on the way as well. Actually had a little help from the same guys who have worked on lord of the rings and the hobbit for the latex cast, it now has a movie pedigree :lol Both mars and I have moved mountains (the miss's) to get this far and cant wait to see it all in shiny stainless steel and ally.
Wish us luck :lol

Good to see you release this info to the board now Mars, you know how excited ive been to see more since the last pics!

lee

Great job on the 3D CAD!

I am curious, have you considered having the Armature 3D printed to flesh out a prototype? Since you already have the CAD files, sending it to Shapeways would be pretty easy. I believe it would be considerably cheaper to get printed, then see how it all fits together and works before the final design goes to the machine shop.

Would definitely be an option to think about, Ive added IK to the joint's and they all function as expected but problems can and do pop up. Anyway lots to do till then.

the "skull" looks nutty -- like something from some Lego Monster series. If you all have a skull you make and aren't totally pleased with it, I'd likely buy one from you ( just wanting a skull -- not the whole kit).
great work!

I didn't think to check the Bluray for footage, pity there wasn't more. I only noticed a quick shot of Tippett animating it.

Yeah, it's not a very long shot but, I'm sure you could get some nice caps from it. I would get them but I have no bd player in my pc.

Small steps forward, Received the prototype heads today and they came out perfect. It's hard to model metal objects and still get accurate how hard edges should be due to blow out but this is spot on when viewed in your hand. Pleased with it. Can safely go onto the next step and get them milled out of aluminium. Enjoy!

They will be on there way to you shortly, Knowing Australia post hopefully you should have them by the end of the month :facepalm

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back