ID4 City Destroyers - Models in Various Scales!

Prop-Builder

Here's a tiny project that anyone can do at home. I'll start making here some tutorials on creating tiny 2 inch City Destroyers. I will be making a few dozen of these for fitting into my larger Mothership model. After this, I will move onto doing larger models from 1ft diameter up to 2.5ft diameter.

Last edited:
Re: ID4 City Destroyers - 2 Inch Models

I am modelling the Destroyer from clay and plastic styrene. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to do the vertical wall part at the front end of the ship, as this would be paper thin. Maybe I'll insert thin metal into this section to make these.

I'll get pics up by the weekend.

I am modelling the Destroyer from clay and plastic styrene. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to do the vertical wall part at the front end of the ship, as this would be paper thin. Maybe I'll insert thin metal into this section to make these.

I'll get pics up by the weekend.

What about a document binder´s cover ?

And yes, pics are mandatory, you don´t want anyone to think you´re producing vaporware tutorials, right ? :lol ;)

Weren´t there Destroyers included in some kind of game when the movie came out ? I´ll see if I can find pics.

What about a document binder´s cover ?

And yes, pics are mandatory, you don´t want anyone to think you´re producing vaporware tutorials, right ? :lol ;)

Weren´t there Destroyers included in some kind of game when the movie came out ? I´ll see if I can find pics.

Do you mean physical models included with a game (i.e board game), or computer game?

Right now I'm creating the main dome. I did try to find a sphere/plastic ball that I could remove or mold a small section of and use that, but couldn't find anything the right size. I know the exact size I need (although very slightly smaller will still work), but as I'm struggling to find the ball. Another idea I came up with is to rotate a plastic disc (sheet styrene) in clay until it has cut a full circle crater. I'm just figuring the best way to support it and stop it from moving out of position as I turn so to keep the dome shape good.

I do have some pics of the destroyer already, but please feel free to post anything you have. The more pics and reference I have, the easier it will be and the more accurate I can make it. :)

Sometime later, I will complete a Mothership using these mini Destroyers.

UPDATE!

Ok, I have made some progress on the dome shape for the 2" Destroyer. I cut a small circle from a piece of sheet styrene and packed the rear side with clay, so that the clay was exposed from the front face. I then took hold of a large circular shaped stencil and rotated this around on its edge on top of the clay to scrape out the dome shape using the rim of the pre-cut 2" circle as a guide.

Next, I filled the crater left in the clay with plaster and, after pulling it from the clay mold, I then attached a thin circle of sheet styrene to the underside to reinforce the fragile plaster cast (edges were very thin) before creating a silicone mold. I was then able to do a pull from the silicone mold in resin for final clean up. This will gve me a neat little dome for the main section of the City Destroyer. I will then proceed to cut out the smaller crater section at the front of the ship and add the vertical wall part.

citydestroyer-2inch-1.jpg
citydestroyer-2inch-2.jpg

citydestroyer-2inch-3.jpg
citydestroyer-2inch-4.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a Photo of the ID4 City Destroyer I restored Years ago for Planet Hollywood Florida (That's where I was told it was going...) I'm the one with the Ponytail :)

l_dce9286a188243f7acf1d4ae149d3828.jpg

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back