The Enterprise Restoration Project

I too am a long-time Trekkie and I would gladly donate $100 and even time to help with this. I would take vacation time to gladly sweep the floors and help keep the workshop clean for this project. Even to just be a 'go-fer' for the team for a week would be just fine with me.
I have basic modeling skills but I'm great with a camera, video camera and NLE Editing just as an fyi.

I just visited it recently. My kids had already walked too much and were complaining. I did not get to get a good picture of it or get to look at it too closely. I am sadden to see it is not getting taken care of. I hope this project gets a chance to be completed. I would love to see it restored correctly.

Seems Boeing has donated some $$ to the A&S to re-do the main hall. One of the items highlighted on a local DC news story is the 11' TOS E.

"This 3.4 meter (11-foot) model of the fictional Starship Enterprise will go on display in the reimagined Boeing Milestones of Flight Hall. Star Trek pushed the boundaries of network television with its depiction of a mixed-sex, racially-integrated, multinational crew and its attention to contemporary social and political issues. It will join other significant artifacts in this gallery to showcase the importance of popular culture’s influence on society."

I guess this means it will stay at the Smithsonian, probably never to be corrected back to historically accurate.

I think this is great news! There is no way they will put it on display in the main enterance as it is now (falling apart). It's going to need a restoration. Let's hope they get the right people...

Seems Boeing has donated some $$ to the A&S to re-do the main hall. One of the items highlighted on a local DC news story is the 11' TOS E.

"This 3.4 meter (11-foot) model of the fictional Starship Enterprise will go on display in the reimagined Boeing Milestones of Flight Hall. Star Trek pushed the boundaries of network television with its depiction of a mixed-sex, racially-integrated, multinational crew and its attention to contemporary social and political issues. It will join other significant artifacts in this gallery to showcase the importance of popular culture’s influence on society."

I guess this means it will stay at the Smithsonian, probably never to be corrected back to historically accurate.

I have it on good authority that the "E" will be renovated . Quite an honor for her to be in that gallery with the most famous aircraft / spacecrafts in history. I'm thrilled!!

I've been in contact this morning with Alison Mitchell of the Smithsonian's NASM.
Boeing's $30 Mil donation covers the new displays and restored wing, but The Enterprise is NOT herself slated for restoration but only to be moved to a new display.
I introduced myself and my group's mission (which includes Doug Drexler, Mike and Denise Okuda, Steve Neill, John Eaves, Andy Probert, Rick Sternbach, Hank Zimmerman, Ronald Moore, and others) and received an incredibly enthusiastic response! She was unaware of the model's current physical state, and was equally excited about the public relations benefits of placing an Enterprise back on display that had just been restored by "THE" Star Trek Art Department.

Sometimes it just takes the right timing to do something. Lets hope this works. But if you run into a hold up, let us know and some of us might be able to come up with an alternative contact or two. At least now they have a timetable and a budget. Taking on yet another goal of getting the Enterprise restored for a relatively small sum (certainly restoring it won't cost $30 million) probably won't be a problem UNLESS the date for opening of the new display is simply too set in stone to float it a bit to allow for such a restoration to be done properly.

My restoration effort brings to the table (keep your fingers crossed) the wealthiest, and most powerful Trekkie on this planet. ;)

John

Keep in mind that Adam has been working "behind the scenes" on this since he finished renovating and restoring the Galileo. If he says there is going to be a renovation; there is going to be a renovation.

Indeed, among the things the museum liked most during out convo this morning was that we presented a united front, and most importantly that we ONLY wish to stabilize the structure of the ship, and restore her to her last filmed appearance. That although we have a support team in place the ONLY people who will carry out the physical restoration of the miniature will be members of the surviving Star Trek Art Department. No one else. She LOVED that and the story that would make for both the ship and the museum.

These days with "warm" LEDs, wouldn't it be nice if she could be turned on now and then????

You could even have redundant system with extra lights if one burns out.

trekhistory.jpg

That is indeed in ONE of our restoration proposals, and Steve Neill has already perfected and tested a TOS lighting system for the Enterprise. ;)

John

That's good to hear.

... and you don't need some big ol sixties era motors in there either these days, something accesseble and easily serviced by removing the domes.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back