EFX X Wing repaint

REL

Sr Member
This thing is huge and well made. I'm going to be repainting it to match Red 5.

Thanks for looking.

efx_x01.jpg

efx_x02.jpg

Very cool. Will like to see her when you are done repainting her. Of course you should do very fine. By the way you have a PM coming your way.

Me too, although, take caution as the original models, were probably darker and more contrasting than they appear on film. I believe the harsh lighting just washes out alot of the darker colors. I still think the eFx one would look better if it were slightly toned down, so I am looking forward to this. :)

Got her all stripped and reprimered. What a beauty!

There's no getting it apart so painting will be an interesting experience.

efx_x06.jpg

You can check the sporadic progress in this folder.
Index of /efx_x

Last edited:
I used goof off and lacquer thinner, but I didn't completely strip it, just the heavier parts where the factory paint was on there really thick and obscured the detail. I had to completely strip the R2 unit though, and I used lacquer thinner with an old toothbrush.

I use Plastikote black under plastikote white. 2 coats of black, one coat of white, it makes a nice light gray with a slight wash affect.

I'm starting the weathering.

efx_x09.jpg

Looking really good, as always Rich! The only challenge on that paint job, would be me attempting it! You could paint one of these from the outside of a glass case and I would still have to throw mine out.

Last edited:
I used goof off and lacquer thinner, but I didn't completely strip it, just the heavier parts where the factory paint was on there really thick and obscured the detail. I had to completely strip the R2 unit though, and I used lacquer thinner with an old toothbrush.

I use Plastikote black under plastikote white. 2 coats of black, one coat of white, it makes a nice light gray with a slight wash affect.

I'm starting the weathering.

efx_x09.jpg

Thanks REL. Is the plastikote a lacquer based paint? My understanding is that the original X-Wing models used an automotive black laquer based paint for the primer coat.

Looking great btw.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back