32" with landing gear! vintage photo

Treadwell

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Never seen this before.
I can't think of a shot in any of the films where the 32"er had landing gear. The four footer was used for the ESB landing. Maybe the Bespin takeoff when the troopers are shooting at it?

Attachments

• 32MFgear.jpg
    32MFgear.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 834
Re: 32" with landing gear! vintage photo

I thought the 32" was used for an establishing shot of the Falcon after it had landed inside the belly of the space slug. There was so much fog though I can't tell if the model was mounted on the gears or just propped up. Very cool shot. I've never seen this one.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought the 32" was used for an establishing shot of the Falcon after it had landed inside the belly of the space slug. There was so much fog though I can't tell if the model was mounted on the gears or just propped up. Very cool shot. I've never seen this one.

Wow! What a great picture! I remember an interview with Gary Kurtz on starlog. The 32 inch Falcon was used for the scene at first, but the falcon was unstable in the scene. The ESB movie was going to be released soon, but he wanted to retake the scene and ILM did with the 5 foot falcon.

Wow Jaitea, that is awesome. I haven't seen the original version in quite a few years, and certainly never noticed that gem. I'd heard that Ellenshaw used the model as a reference while doing his matte painting, and here we are!

Re: 32" with landing gear! vintage photo

I just went and checked ... they used the 5 footer in the space slug belly.

Jedi Dade

The only shot I can think that the 32in would have used the landing gear is the take off and escape from Bespin.

The model landing is the 5ft version because of its proximity to the camera and the fatter hull which distinguishes itself from the smaller 32in model. However, during the escape the camera is "further away" from the model meaning the model must be smaller, which by definition, must be the 32in version.

As Jedi Dade said (and Monsieur Tox), the 5 footer MF was used for the cave scene (with landing gears). As for the old pic, it's not Red 5 on the shelve, but just another hero XWing; don't forget, this is ESB pic, not SW ;)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back