Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Nov 2, 2011, 1:54 AM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #51

Gene... check out the original Red Y wing kit thread.. it shows all the Identified Hero y wings used in ANH. Y's are all simular but all detail different.. For example.. Gold Leader (TIE Killer) shares details simular to Red Jammer. The MOM Tour Y Wing shares details with a version called "Tiger Sprocket" these details are like upper wing details and two piece cockpit details... whereas Red Jammer and Gold leader share a single cockpit frame.... and simular upper wing detail. Yeah FAQ.. theres about 15 years of research into all of these... we'll do our best to outline the differences when we tackle the next Y kit....

As far as the picture goes who knows.. but for sure its NOT Gold leader or MOM tour Y or the Tiger Sprocket Y. Could it be the Triangles Y? Triangles Y is named for four triangle markings on Leggs eggs... Thats where my money is.....

The MOM Y is in the foreground... notice the end of the canopy...there is a separte piece that makes up the nose of the canopy. Triangles Y does not have this so is simular to Gold Leader. Crazy right?

Dazzle us folks with more pics.. now back to the Red Jammer build thread! Sorry Jason!

Steve
  2. Six Demon Baggage RPF Premium Member moffeaton's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Nov 2, 2011, 2:01 AM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #52

Steve, the piping, especially behind the Lunar lander bit, matches the TIE killer, to my eye... Hmmmm

Wish we had more pics of the Registration Marks Y-wing. I have the vintage dry transfer for the "triangles"
    Nov 2, 2011, 2:11 AM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #53

Look closer... its close but not the same.. look at the upper wing detail in the reference I sent you for Gold leader.. compare it part for part... hate to say... not it. I'm thinking it is a hero..... as most Pyro's had one mounting point (nose) for painting then they were hung with wire. this one is mounted from the bottom. It's gotta be Triangles baby! Gene has done it again...

Steve
  4. ralphee is offline ralphee
    Nov 2, 2011, 3:20 AM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #54

Yeah Steve is spot on, its NOT the TIE killer. Plumbing is different, and, there are several donors missing to be the killer, most apparent is a 1/12 Tamiya steering hub in the upper hull midriff, that isnt fitted to Gene's Y pic.

Id have to say, again with Steve, could well be "triangles".

lee
  5. ralphee is offline ralphee
    Nov 2, 2011, 3:27 AM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #55

Hell, yeah i see what you mean Steve, the wing surfaces are way different to the killer too.
    Man, i need more Y ref.

bests......lee
  6. RPF Premium Member jedimaster's Avatar
    From
    Planet Perth
    Nov 2, 2011, 7:09 AM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #56

Can anYone tell me which one has the R5 droid please?

[IMG][/IMG]
  7. Six Demon Baggage RPF Premium Member moffeaton's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Nov 2, 2011, 8:04 AM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #57

That's the Bill George Y-Wing, built when he was a fan, before ILM hired him. It was eventually drafted into service for ROTJ I believe... and is now part of the archives. back when we did the Y-Wing archive visit/reference session, they wheeled this one out to us, and we said "uhhh no - that ain't waht we need"

Silly Archives.
  8. RPF Premium Member jedimaster's Avatar
    From
    Planet Perth
    Nov 2, 2011, 8:16 AM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #58

Thanks Jason.. That's cleared that up. Maybe I don't need the r5 after all.
  9. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Nov 2, 2011, 9:38 AM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #59

Simon, ya know I am gonna mock you mercilessly for that, right?
  10. RPF Premium Member jedimaster's Avatar
    From
    Planet Perth
    Nov 2, 2011, 9:48 AM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #60

Nwerke said: View Post
    Simon, ya know I am gonna mock you mercilessly for that, right?
    Ha...eh....go build some models or somethin.
    Nov 2, 2011, 10:15 AM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #61

What a great pic. I trust Gene when he says it's an early pic, but I can't help wondering if at least one pyro Y hadn't already been blown up at this stage. Look at that starboard rear thrust nozzle thingie. It looks already painted and weathered (by hand and/or by real flames), as if it were a leftover part reused.
    Nov 2, 2011, 10:59 AM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #62

GKvfx said: View Post
    RE: the photo I just posted - I'll look through a couple of photos of known pyro Y-wings (any shots you see of it hanging from monofilament - that's a pyro ship), but I don't think this is a pyro ship. There is far too much custom detail for what I would consider something that is going to be expendable.

Also, based on what else is on the same roll of negative (lens tests and some shots of the electronic control system for the Dflex being built), I think this is fairly early on in the process - too early for them to be building individual ships for pyro shots.

Gene

PS - can someone point me to a FAQ on "TIE Killer" and "Red Jammer" and all that nomenclature? They all just look like Y-wings to me....
    When you get down to it Gene they are all just Y-Wings
    And how could any Y-wing ever be considered a "Tie Killer"....when
    there more like "Tie Bait"! LOL
    Last edited by 3d-builder; Nov 2, 2011 at 11:08 AM.
  13. RPF Premium Member jedimaster's Avatar
    From
    Planet Perth
    Nov 2, 2011, 6:32 PM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #63

Anyone else noticed that on the blu ray archive shots that there are a whole bunch of Y's on the shelves and their is even two different sized y's. The standard and a smaller model?
  14. Chara limit is way too sm RPF Premium Member Nwerke's Avatar
    From
    'Straya, maaaate!
    Nov 3, 2011, 1:07 AM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #64

TIE bait? They were committed to a plan of attack and unable to defend themselves. The X-wings came off no better all in all.

The movies show Y-wings to be fast, capable and well-armed fighters. I don't get this whole "Y-wings are older and slower" stuff. Older than what? TIEs? Sure, but the X-wings are no newer. This stuff is not supported by the films.

Edit: someone upload more pics, for the love of god. The need for another fix is driving me spare. In case you can't tell.
    Last edited by Nwerke; Nov 3, 2011 at 2:49 AM.
  15. ralphee is offline ralphee
    Nov 3, 2011, 3:59 AM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #65

Just clocked another little difference from Triangles to the Killer, im pretty sure thats a DFV turbo on the hull upper mid section of Triangles, its a different part on the Killer.
    Seems various additional parts were just sourced to give them "some" identity?
    Love to hear Jamie and Dan's thoughts on all this, i dont get very excited with ANH models of late, until now.
    Jeez, really want to get to this build now.

lee
  16. RPF Premium Member jedimaster's Avatar
    From
    Planet Perth
    Nov 3, 2011, 4:46 AM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #66

Ok some Y pix from the bonus disc. In the first pic you can see two Y's at different scales.
    In the 3rd pic from Jedi you can see the Bill George y which is what threw me before.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Sorry for the quality but i cant screen grab from blu ray.
    Last edited by jedimaster; Nov 3, 2011 at 5:04 AM.
  17. Member Since
    Dec 2001
    From
    St. Paul, MN
    Nov 3, 2011, 10:23 AM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #67

I think both Jason and Steve are correct, the greeblies on the body and
    engines match the TIE killer; however, the wings do not. To me the detailing of the parts look fairly soft, whereas the TIE killer was quickly thrown in rubber. My theory is that they cast the TIE killer body and engines for use as a pyro, and stuck on what ever wings were available. As far as the engine nozzle, that was used as reference for painting to assure the pyro matched the hero version.

Dan
    Nov 4, 2011, 1:13 PM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #68

Simon! Pic 5 of triangles is awesome.. I can grab from blu ray which disk are these on?

Steve
  19. Six Demon Baggage RPF Premium Member moffeaton's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Nov 4, 2011, 2:27 PM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #69

The remainder of the kit arrives tomorrow, hopefully!!
  20. Six Demon Baggage RPF Premium Member moffeaton's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Nov 4, 2011, 2:32 PM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #70

Oohhh Triangles, you are so sexy and mysterious....

So, is it about to go "boom" in this shot? The back end cover is off/missing. I see a rod/bundle of wires from above, and to me it looks like it's entering the body at the lower right back end, with putty.... what the heck is going on?

21. ralphee is offline ralphee
    Nov 4, 2011, 2:47 PM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #71

Looks that way Jason, looks like its charge rigged to me, wonder if that runs all the way to the inner hull?
    So, is there a chance Triangles, is the Y wing all burnt to a cinder in the Lucasfilm soundstage photographs, and therefore, is still around?

lee
    Nov 4, 2011, 4:57 PM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #72

Check the photo closey guys !!! Gene's photo posted earlier IS 100% confirmed Triangles! Check Simons pic above getting loaded with explosives....You can see the big pipe coming off of the back of the head detail plate. Not seen on any other Y Wing! Can be seen in the picture Gene posted!!!

Also you can see the pre scoring of the engines so the model blows into several pieces... RIP Triangles...... the trench run.. Gold Leader... MOM tour y and Triangles.....

Steve
  23. ralphee is offline ralphee
    Nov 5, 2011, 1:22 AM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #73

So i would say Triangles, is the Y blown up in the "Empire of Dreams" from the old box set?
    Saw those wires into the head when Gene posted Steve, just figured for a hose, not a charge, good call, and those score/razor saw marks in the engine cans, yeah, they match up spot on.

lee
  24. ralphee is offline ralphee
    Nov 5, 2011, 1:51 AM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #74

Just fudge up Jasons build thread a little more, sorry Jason lol, im a tad confused.
    This Y wing here, the "Profiles" its using the wing roots and engines from Triangles.

The aft hull, as far as i can see, NOT Triangles, at least, not in the respect, this hull, is using a LEM unit in the centre hull, not a Ford DFV tranny ring with cast in brake caliper.
    So, where was this hull from? Cast originally from the Red Jammer, so Steve would be right and this is proof, All Y's were, or could have been cast from the Jammer hull?

Just tryin to get my head around it, as you all know, im a bit a clutz with ANH models.

lee
  25. Six Demon Baggage RPF Premium Member moffeaton's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Nov 5, 2011, 12:18 PM - Re: 2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Threadô #75

Holy CRAP. Look how thin the back engine vane assembly is!! Look how well cast it is! Look how awesome the Leggs Egg "braces" are! 5 foot Falcon builders will probably dig them, too!